website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 10/31/2023 at 4:22 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

The question of ratings and viewer interest is a separate issue to team size but for what it is worth, I think UKA have done an abysmal job in promoting the sport in the UK.

But on the issue of the GB team in athletics and why it has been picked up by the BBC, it comes down to a question of fairness - athletes across about a dozen sports earn their place at Olympics through their performances across the year building their ranking. UK Athletics has chosen to ignore this and is likely to be the only GB federation which will reject validly earned Olympic quotas. It was disappointing that there was more outrage from athletes over the sacking of Stephen Maguire than there was about 19 athletes being denied the chance to compete at the World Champs. 

Hopefully a lot of those folk who had their World Athletics invitation rejected this year are able to hit the qualifying standard - it would be the best way to stick two fingers up to the UKA selectors. 

I wonder if ultimately it will end up with World athletics moving the entire qualifying system to rankings and taking away team abilities to reject places. 

On 10/20/2023 at 3:41 AM, rafalgorka said:

I wonder if Team GB will not send to Paris athletes who don’t get entry standards like they did in Budapest WCH.

What other NOCs could do the same? 
Germany? Sweden? Canada? China? Netherlands? Australia? Italy? New Zealand? 

If they use the same criteria as for Budapest, Germany will send everyone with the official standard and some with the rankings. They'll use a B-standard, that those who qualify over the rankings have to fulfill.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

Same in the Netherlands, although IIRC the athletics federation sent every invited athlete to Budapest. Our National Olympic Committee is known for sticking to that B-standard. In the past a marathon runner was not sent to the Olympics, because she failed to make the national standard by just a few seconds. Because of corona the last two Olympics were an exception, and athletes were given the benefit of the doubt, but I’d be surprised if the NOC would repeat that for Paris. For example, I’d be mightily surprised if our NOC would nominate the C1-Slalom canoeist who won a quotum. His results are just not good enough by a long shot.

Marathon Grand Championship - Paris 24 Selection Race :JPN

October 15, 2023

The following athletes will represent Japan at the Olympics: 

Men's:

:JPN Naoki Koyama, Akira Akasaki, Suguru Osako

Women's:

:JPN Yuka Suzuki, Mao Ichiyama, Ai Hosoda

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Marathon Grand Championship - Paris 24 Selection Race :JPN

October 15, 2023

The following athletes will represent Japan at the Olympics: 

Men's:

:JPN Naoki Koyama, Akira Akasaki, Suguru Osako

Women's:

:JPN Yuka Suzuki, Mao Ichiyama, Ai Hosoda

Yuki Kawauchi was so close. :( He's probably my favorite marathon runner

TSC Amsterdam Marathon :NED

October 15, 2023

Men's:

:KEN Joshua Belet, CyBrian Kotut, Bethwel Kibet :ETH Birhanu Legese, Hayle Lemi, Bazezew Asmare, Mulugeta Debasu

Women's:

:ETH Meseret Belete, Meseret Abebayahau, Ashete Bekere, Tiruye Mesfin, Achialem Haymanot, Sisay Mereset Gola, Sofia Assefa :KEN Dorcas Jepchirchir Tuitoek, Marion Kibor :NED Anne Luijten (:FRAMeline Rollin missed out by 8 seconds)