website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
48 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

It's time for the political debate with two dumbs that are candidate for become US President, honestly i don't know who is the worst, i would never be American and have the right to vote...

In other news, the main Italian political channel start the live coverage (Chicco we lo you :p) :cheer:

Yep, it’s going to be debate chock-full of fantastic answers like:

”Could you please repeat the question?” and “That’s a nasty question. I’m not going to answer that.” 

Plus, we’ll probably get a couple of long winded rambling responses that make absolutely zero sense, and a few sad attempts at sick burns.

Also, this isn’t a debate. Candidates aren’t required to speak in fact. That aren’t going to be fact-checked by the moderater. They’re going to be encouraged by their bases to take pot shots are the other candidate. They won’t get into any meaningful policy debates, or be able to explain any policy further than “I believe all Americans should have healthcare,” or “I’ve done more for America than any other President,” or “I’ve got a plan to improve the economy.” There will be nothing substantive in this debate to help Americans make an informed choice about who should lead the country. Americans instead will judge the candidates, on who made the best burn/insult, who has a nicer looking face, who seems more comfortable on television, etc. So let me throw this out there, this is NOT a debate; this a glorified political version of a Comedy Central Roast.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

@hckosice Huh, I didn’t think California would be #4 in terms of Slovak diaspora. That map definitely needs an update though. A LOT has changed since 1990 :p

To be honest, I don’t know of a culture that isn’t represented in California. Maybe a smaller country like San Marino or Eswatini perhaps...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

In other news, tonight is the first US Presidential Debate. It will probably be a laughing stock.

Posted

And now there’s three countries engaged in war...

It’s important to remember that Turkey and Azerbaijan are extremely close allies. I remember Turkey getting home-like cheers and support during Baku 2015.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Biggest ally of Azerbaijan is a NATO member. 

They’re riding a double-edged knife. They need the U.S. for protection from Russia, but they need Russia to finance their wars against Armenia.

Posted

The only winner in this conflict is Russia. They’re financing both sides, and I’m sure Putin’s just waiting for the perfect to time to deploy his little green men.

Posted
50 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

My impression is that in the Anglo-Saxon world Catholics get viewed as "conservative" or "bigoted" all the time tbh.

Not really. I haven’t really met anyone who has major issues with Catholics. Generally the only people who hate on Catholicism are people who were Catholic themselves, and are now Atheist or Agnostic. Like @NearPup said, it’s the Evangelicals and Mormons who get labeled as such.

53 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

That's the stereotype and Catholicism is viewed as more religious extreme than Islam.

Yeah...definitely no. 

56 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Olympian1010 posted this tweet to clearly indicate that having 6 Catholics on the Supreme Court would be a bad thing, I imagine having 6 Muslim judges would be a sign of religious tolerance though :p

Yes, that is why I posted that article, but you don’t quite have the reasoning correct. The 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees religious freedom, so having a Supreme Court that’s two-thirds one religion seems like an issue to me. I wouldn’t want 6 Muslim judges on the Supreme Court either for the exact same reason. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

On what planet is Feinstein a "Democratic Party hero"? It has long been a source of frustration among the base that the senior senator from California (of all states) is a centrist.

6 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Yet another Democratic Party hero revealed to be a doddering, senile old fool.  (And also hugely corrupt - has made a fortune passing insider trading tips to her husband. Highly illegal for you & me, but not for Senate Democrats)

Feinstein relies heavily on her ever-present staff to deal with any issues, frequently turning to them for help in responding to inquiries. Feinstein had to be coaxed into wearing a mask around the Senate during the early days of the pandemic, despite being part of the most vulnerable age groups for the disease. She’s only made two floor speeches in the last nine months, her last being in early July, although she remains active in committee hearings.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/23/dianne-feinstein-supreme-court-battle-420357

I voted against her in 2018 :d

She actually didn’t even receive the California Democratic Party’s endorsement in 2018. They endorsed her challenger (and the candidate I voted for) Kevin de León. León was the better candidate, but Feinstein had better name recognition and large support amongst women.

Posted

In 200+ years of the Union, I don’t think a president has ever threatened to hold onto to power no matter the result of an election. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dnl said:

Aaaaand we back:p

Left for class; cooled down; and came back the chipper Matt you all love :p

Posted

I will say that maybe the officers aren’t completely at fault, but Breonna Taylor’s summary execution points out major flaws in our policing system. Not one officer was wearing a body camera, so there’s no actual proof as to what happened the night. The officers did not announce that they were police officers before attempting to enter. One officer just fired blindly, and at least they’re punishing him. Breonna was given no medical attention for up to 20 minutes; that’s unacceptable. I understand that her injuries were fatal, but at the very least someone should have checked, comforted her, etc. 

I think officers need to receive more training. “No-knock” warrants need to go. All police officers should wear body cams. Police should do their absolute best not to hit innocent people as bystanders during gun fights (it happens much more often than it should). Police should apologize when they do so, and not release a statement that says “I know we did the legal, moral and ethical thing that night.” (Which is what one of the officers actually said this week).

That’s how I truly feel about this.

Posted

I’m getting towards that tipping point where I start saying things I regret, so I’m just going to have to leave this thread for now. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Taylor's boyfriend admitted to firing the first shot. That's the end of the story. Even BLM lobbyists can't spin this around, when you fire the first shot you are NOT the victim, period.

Well unless Breonna had psychic control over the actions of her boyfriend, I don’t see how her summary execution (which is what this was) is justified. I mean read what happened, this is ridiculous. I get officers were fired at, but that doesn’t justify just shooting blindly in any which way.

After the police broke the door off its hinges, Mr. Walker fired his gun once, striking Sergeant Mattingly in a thigh. The police responded by firing several shots, striking Ms. Taylor five times. One of the three officers on the scene, Detective Brett Hankison, who has since been fired, shot 10 rounds blindly into the apartment.

Mr. Walker told investigators that Ms. Taylor coughed and struggled to breathe for at least five minutes after she was shot, according to The Louisville Courier Journal. An ambulance on standby outside the apartment had been told to leave about an hour before the raid, counter to standard practice. As officers called an ambulance back to the scene and struggled to render aid to their colleague, Ms. Taylor was not given any medical attention.

It was not until 12:47 a.m., about five minutes after the shooting, that emergency personnel realized she was seriously wounded, after her boyfriend called 911.

“I don’t know what’s happening,” Mr. Walker said on a recorded call to 911. “Someone kicked in the door and shot my girlfriend.”

Ms. Taylor received no medical attention for more than 20 minutes after she was struck, The Courier Journal reported, citing dispatch logs.

Source: New York Times

Breonna never fired a weapon, she wasn’t a suspect in the case; yet somehow, she’s the only one that’s dead. That’s unacceptable.