website statistics
India National Thread
Posted
18 minutes ago, Madhusudhan said:

Atleast in case of bajrang We had a hint that he was injured during training.

But what about other wrestlers including vinesh....all of them were playing with lack of energy and defensive approach....none of the wrestlers including bajrang showed aggression in their bouts which has costed us 2 medals ... only exception is Ravi kumar who played wrestling differently.

Is the lack of energy shown by wrestlers related to covid? But it seems mysterious.

Today in 50 kg women's, Chinese wrestler sun overturned the deficit of 7-1 in second round with intention and aggression. I think she is same wrestler who injured vinesh in Rio.

For Deepak I think he just isn't fit enough. Needs to cut down body fat if he wants to compete regularly at the highest level. Saw him in the Asian Championships as well and it was a similar story there as well. He was very defensive even against very poor opponents. As far as the girls go I am okay with the performance of Sonam and Anshu, they are just 19. For Vinesh, I think the Belarusian opponent was just stronger. The Belarusian opponent even pinned an American girl today for Bronze. I was very disappointed with the way Seema wrestled. Against even a Tunisian opponent she was so defensive.

India National Thread
Posted

Had Bajrang not recovered fully from his injury? His defensive style during the whole 3 bouts suggests so. I also read an article that suggests that he still might be carrying a slight pain in his knees.

India National Thread
Posted
21 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

I am hoping for a gold medal finish for Aditi Ashok tomorrow. Let's see.

Pressure will be on Nelly Korda.

There will be a lot of pressure on Aditi as well I guess. A medal for India in Golf will be huge.

India National Thread
Posted

There is a slight possibility that it may be converted to a 54 hole tournament due to inclement weather tomorrow. Will have to see what happens.

India National Thread
Posted

Losing to a team 4-1 in the group stage and then coming back and losing 4-3 in the bronze medal match shows how much the team has grown during the tournament.

India National Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, Arup said:

Disappointment is probably this time also we will end without a gold

Yes. I guess what happens with other countries is that many of their non-favourite athletes rise their levels at the Olympics and convert a silver to a gold like probably Ravi could have done today.

India National Thread
Posted
3 minutes ago, Madhusudhan said:

Are we really sure about Deepak's bronze....i know that he is up against San Marino wrestler in bronze medal match, does not know much about this wrestler but he has been seeded 3rd

It will be close no doubt and Deepak might have to find an extra gear like Ravi did and he also did in the quarters. But still it will not be as difficult as David Taylor.

India National Thread
Posted

That seems a bit jumping the gun to me. Although Deepak's bronze is very much assured. But by no means is Ravi's gold assured. Russians always find a way to beat you.

India National Thread
Posted

What a victory by Ravi. Zaur Uguev of ROC has not looked to be in the best of forms as well and Ravi has betean Reza Atri before hope he takes confidence from it. Ravi is surely a huge favourite for Gold.

India National Thread
Posted
5 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

The way you are feeling today, I guess the English supporters felt the same after the Qtr final match when GB did everything apart from converting opportunities into Goals, but today in the last Qtr the game was mostly played in our half.

True. I guess the green card to Manpreet also played its part. Manpreet should have known better while committing that foul.:cry:

India National Thread
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dolby said:

yaar I know, we are upset at losing but Belgians were doing much more than that. They do depend on Penalty corners a lot but it is not like that they are bad at open play. Football equivalent won't be penalty kicks but penalty kicks, corners and free kicks. And so many games are decided by set pieces only. Nothing wrong in that. Open play main dominate kar rahe the tabhi to Penalty corners mile na. 

Yeah true. I guess I am upset. Yeah they are good at open play of course that is why they are world champions.

But I strongly disagree to your point that penalty corners are equivalent to set pieces. There is a high amount of skill needed to perfect the set piece routines of free kicks and corners. If you compare the number of goals scored via free kicks and corners with the number of goals scored via penalty corners in a hockey match you will get my point.

Also free kicks are only given on fouls and deliberate handballs. Not when 5-6 people are fighting for the same ball and by mistake it strikes your foot.

India National Thread
Posted

But @Sanjib I do not deny the fact that India should recognize that PCs are an important component of modern hockey and should have tried to have some penalty corners of their own when they went into the Belgian circle (because they did that quite a lot of times, 20 to be precise against 23).

India National Thread
Posted
29 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

Completely disagree, we did well this time and hopefully might win bronze, but on the day we got beaten by a team who played better hockey.

Well it depends on people's choices I guess. If I draw a football analogy on somedays Portugal or Argentina may play fantastically well and win on a hattrick by a Ronaldo or Messi which has 3 penalty kicks. Some people celebrate that. I choose not to because I feel that justice has not been done to open play from where Portugal or Argentina failed to score. If you want to have penalty strokes and penalty kicks based on interpretations then just start with a penalty shoot out and get done with it rather than 90 minutes of sweating it out.

India National Thread
Posted

Also in my opinion if a team is advancing through two matches in the knockout stage with all penalty corners and penalty strokes goals (not counting the last Belgian goal as Sreejesh was substituted), then FIH really needs to think and make some changes so that matches are won more on field goals rather than just hammering the ball from the top of the D.

India National Thread
Posted
21 minutes ago, Sanjib said:

We didn't play traditional hockey. How can we concede 12 PCs against Belgium and expect anything, they have the best drag flickers, we couldn't keep the ball in their half got tired in the 2nd half.

To be fair most of the PCs were stacked against each other with one PC resulting from the other. As a defender you cannot do much there you just charge down with your stick in front and just hope that the ball does not strike your foot. Also the Penalty Stroke just killed the game. In my opinion it was not a stroke as Sreejesh had it covered, would like to know the opinion of you guys.

India National Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Among the best in the world. But, if we can defeat the Aussies, we can defeat anyone. 

I just hope that the men's and the women's team continue to inspire and motivate each other towards the finals.