website statistics

Very encouraging end of the season for 19 year old Leon Ulbricht, one of the most positive German surprises across all winter sports this season.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Snowboard FIS World Championships 2023
Posted (edited)

British officials apparently have drawn the right conclusions from their failure at the last olympics. Much better performances in snowboarding, freestlye skiing, bob and skeleton. Those + curling those are their "traditional" winter sports. I think they could also do much better in short-track and speed skating (+ maybe luge, snowboard slalom and ski cross) if they would focus on it. Maybe they will win one or two more medals this week, Brookes could certainly win one in the big air event (given that the american women + Sadowski won't compete).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Posted
5 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Gold for :GBR teen sensation Mia Brookes in the slopestyle. Think she is one of your genetic anomalies, both parents were in the British system at some point.

We are talking about snowboard slopestyle, not athletics or swimming. Doesn't have much to do with genetics.

Posted

Surprising results, another proof that parallel slalom (and cross) are unnecessary events. Parallel slalom without Russia is on a much lower level. The fact that even most of the countries that have great training conditions (Canada, USA, Norway, Sweden, France) don't care about parallel slalom, tells you all you need to know.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Fuck this.... THIS country is cursed.

Lol ... imagine having a medal conversion rate of 500 % and to still complain. Germany on the other hand had two world cup leaders (Nörl and Baumeister) and won a grand total of 0 medals. If Canada would have the luck of Germany you would still be at zero medals. Austria is having completely absurd olympics as well. You could probably put an austrian jersey on me and i could win any competition. Even nobodies like Greiderer, Stadlhuber or Strolz win medals for them.

Who the hell is Meryeta Odine? I guess not only eastern european/chinese athletes come out of nowhere to win olympic medals ...

Edit: Her best results this season were 4th and 10th ...

Canada is having an insane conversion rates when it comes to medal chances. Even their shitty athletes somehow win medals.

1 minute ago, Adriano said:

other from TOP5?

Biles should be in there, Serena Williams as well, probably Ledecky and i am not sure about the fifth (maybe Johaug/Hassan).

Austria also having pretty insane olympics so far. A lot of surprising medals already (Stadelhuber, Fatner, Ulbing) and none of their gold medalists was close to being a gold medal lock. Austria, Slovenia, China, Canada and Italy are probably the most overperforming countries so far.

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

One of the most predictable golds of the games :d Bravo Ester ! :CZE :clap:

Insane how a girl who ride on snowboard maybe like "5 days per year" is unbeatable in this :p

She probably is one of the 5 greatest living female athletes. I thought about her 2018 double gold yesterday and it might very well be the greatest performance at a single winter olympics ever and even if you take summer olympics into consideration, there probably were less than 10 other athletes who accomplished something comparable.

Just now, FireRun said:

Thanks for training with our guys prior to the olympics. At least a little bit of these two medals are down to you guys. 

Probably your athletes thought after training "If those chokers/mental dwarfs can do it, we can surely do it to" (and they were right).

2 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Slovenia is having a roll in 2022!

They already were on a roll last year (Pogacar, Roglic, Doncic, the speed climber). The good thing is that the medals they won at the winter olympics (except the gold in women's ski jumping) were won in a fair/believable way (unlike their cycling medals).

Slovenia and Austria both with 2 medals while Germany didn't win a single medal. The odds for that must have been negative. What's next? Germany wins 2 individual medals in figure skating while Japan and Russia don't win a single one?

19 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

What a nightmare for the German PGS team

Sadly not surprising anymore. Baumeister and the women should have combined for at least 2 medals. The only way i can explain how german favorites constantly shit their pants at the olympics is that Germany is the only nation that still hasn't understood the need for psychologists in sport. At the summer olympics you already had Zeidler, Vetter, Hinze, Hussong, Reitz and probably others. At the winter olympics you already had Geiger, Taubitz, Hofmeister and Baumeister and day 4 isn't even over yet ...

Maybe Geisenberger and Berreiter will crash and the german women will somehow end up without a single medal ...

Snowboarding FIS World Cup 2021 - 2022
Posted
45 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, in the early years of the discipline 3 athletes (:SWE Pontus Stahlkloo 2001, :FRA Xavier Delerue 2004 and :CAN Drew Neilson 2007*) already won 3 consecutive races in the same season...

*and in all those 3 races, :USA Nate Holland was the runner up...

moreover, in 2001 :CAN Jasey Jay Anderson won the last 5 races of that season one after the other...

in recent times, however, there have been quite a few doubles (and also some "3 wins out of 4 races") by a bunch of athletes (:AUT Alessandro Haemmerle being the guy doing that the most times), but nobody could deliver the "triple" until :GER Martin Noerl did it yesterday...

Ok, wikipedia only has Snowboard Cross results from the 2007/2008 Season onwards. Still remarkable that noone in the past 15 years was able to do it and then Martin Nörl of all People did it ...

I thought that ist was rather Common on the womens side, But apparently there is some Kind of curse. I think on the womens side Jacobellis was the Last one to do it back in 2012, Since then Moioli (4 times), Maltais (3 times), Samkova (2 times) and Jacobellis/Bankes (1 time) all won 2 in a row.

Snowboarding FIS World Cup 2021 - 2022
Posted
18 hours ago, hckošice said:

Stage 17 in Cortina d´Ampezzo (ITA)

Men´s Snowboard Cross:

1. Martin Noerl  :GER

2. Alessandro Haemmerle  :AUT 

3. Cameron Bolton  :AUS   

Full Final Result HERE

I just looked at past World Cup Seasons and i think that this Might be the First time ever that a guy won 3 World Cups in a row within one Season.

I can’t believe how disgusting the judges in Aspen are. Yesterday Höflich got fucked by the Austrian and Swiss judge and today Gütl (scored 83.50) got 76 by the Swiss judge (by far his lowest score), while Vicktor scored 77.75 and got 75 by the two Swiss judges (clearly his lowest scores). Obviously some influential people in Switzerland/Austria have a problem with Germany becoming good in freestyle snowboarding. I hope that Snowboard Germany won’t just remain silent. If there is no other way, then the German judges should underscore Austrian/Swiss athletes in the future just out of principle.

Edit: Annika Morgan missed the big air final by one place and of course in both her runs her two worst scores came from the two Swiss judges. Rolling the dice to determine the results would be more fair than this travesty, I hope that someone will be hold accountable and that we will have professional judges at the Olympics.

I can’t believe what I am seeing, both Blackwell and Josey insanely overscored by the two American judges. They are trying too hard to push one of their athletes on the podium. Thank god we will have different judges at the Olympics. The cheating in snowboarding might be even more blatant than in figure skating.

Both Hablützel and Josey disgustingly overscored. Looks like Höflich getting robbed. I guess if you aren’t from one of the traditional nations you have to be superior beyond belief to even have a chance to win a medal.

Amazing development for Snowboard Germany overall. At this point Germany is probably the best European nation when it comes to freestyle snowboarding. Without Ettel‘s injury, Germany probably would have had top 10 finishes in all 4 slopestyle/halfpipe Events. The last time Germany had at least one top 10 finish in any of those events was in 2005.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Pretty underwhelming final wasn't it? :yikes: 

Falls left and right, a course that looked as default as it can get, not really much tension in terms of medal winners...

Lol ... after stating multiple times in the past that you find freestyle snowboarding boring and don’t really watch it, you now try to act like some kind of expert. :lol:

Might explain your horrible take about the medal winners. After reading many of your past comments it doesn’t surprise me though that the best and third best athletes from qualification not winning a medal in men’s slopestyle didn’t surprise. After all you are the best when it comes to making predictions AFTER the competition is over. I think there might have never been a result that you didn’t expect ...

You should either stick to the sports you have a clue about or inform yourself next time before posting unsubstantiated nonsense. Thanks!

Insanely disappointing results for Germany today. Both Vockensperger and Morgan could have won a medal. Vockensperger would have won gold with his qualification score, instead another fluke gold for Norway.

1) Really stupid that there are 3 runs in women’s slopestyle but only 2 in men’s slopestyle.

2) Gu might become a superstar in China after the Olympics. She might help China to finish at least top 3 in medal table. I wonder how much China payed her to switch nationality?

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I just made a point that nobody will retire anytime soon. Joerg has like 10 years on the tour left and Hofmeister & Loch probably 15.

Okay and the fact that nobody will retire anytime soon is bad because? Also impressive that you know about the future planning of all of those women.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

This parallel snowaboard is totally low-hanging fruit, Joerg & Dujmovits in the mid-30s, Riegler in her late 40s. It's hilarious that the much-maligned Russia is one nation that actually has found a new talent. Everyone else is set to die on the old name hill :p

Same for the men, two youngest prospects come from Russia, the rest is basically over 30 yo, Fischnaller and Prommegger probably won't retire before they hit 50 at this rate and why should they. There is zero competition in this sport.

Yes, the two German grandmas Ramona Hofmeister (born in 1996, first in World Cup) and Cheyenne Loch (born in 1994, 3rd in World Cup) are about to retire as well.