website statistics
Rowing WR World Cup 2024
Posted
29 minutes ago, CCB said:

Netherlands was the best country at last year's world championships.

From what I've seen today, I predict GB will win the most gold medals in this year's Olympics. Some of the Dutch boats didn't convince at all (especially the women's four and women's quadruple). For the men's double sculls and men's quadruple there was a win, but not as convincing as last year (very small margins). Karolien Florijn on the other hand showed a very good shape!

Europeans in two weeks, I'm looking forward to it.

Are Netherlands competing in the Europeans? I heard the commentator on the world rowing feed say they were taking a week break now and skipping Europeans.

Rowing FISA World Championships 2022
Posted

I've done an appraisal of the Irish performance here at this year's Rowing World Championships and it has been a hugely successful championships for our team.

Overall picture:

1 gold and 2 bronze in Olympic class events

4 A-Finals in Olympic class events

If we were to project forward 12 months, 5 boats would qualify to Paris 2024 if they replicate these results at the next World Championships while the men's four and men's double sculls finish just one and two places outside of the qualifying spots respectively.

On evidence of this World Championships, if all these crews continue to progress, they all have a decent chance of making it to Paris 2024. The 2 crews who were furthest away from what would be a qualifying spot, the men's and women's single sculls, are both 20 years-old and making their senior championship debuts so there is still hope we can make sufficient progress in the next 12-18 months.

I can't wait to see what the men's four do over the next season, 8th place on their senior debut was a phenomenal result for this young crew. I am hoping they can make it into the qualifying spots at next year's worlds.

Event  Athlete(s) Final Place in Final Overall Rank
 Men's Lightweight Double Sculls

Paul O'Donovan (28)

Fintan McCarthy (25)

A 1st

1st

Top 7 next year Worlds qualify for Paris 2024

Women's Lightweight Double Sculls

Margaret Cremen (23)

Aoife Casey (23)

A 3rd

3rd

Women's Double Sculls

Zoe Hyde (25)

Sanita Puspure (40)

A 3rd

3rd

Top 11 next year Worlds qualify for Paris 2024

Women's Four

Emily Hegarty (24)

Fiona Murtagh (27)

Eimear Lambe (25)

Aifric Keogh (30)

A 6th

6th

Women's Pair

Tara Hanlon (24)

Natalie Long (32)

B 2nd

8th

Men's Four

John Kearney (21)

Ross Corrigan (23)

Nathan Timoney (22)

Jack Dorney (21)

B 2nd

8th

Men's Double Sculls

Philip Doyle (30)

Konan Pazzaia (21)

C 1st

13th

Men's Single Sculls  Brian Colsh (20) C 3rd

15th

Top 9 next year Worlds qualify for Paris 2024

Women's Single Sculls  Alison Bergin (20) C 5th

17th

Top 9 next year Worlds qualify for Paris 2024

Rowing FISA World Championships 2022
Posted

Hopefully Zoe and Sanita can squeeze onto the podium tomorrow in the women’s double but it will be tough. Disappointed by the women’s four with no medal here. I think the changing of the line-up so late in the season didn’t help at all. Hopefully they will have a more settled line-up next year and can get back up there with the best.

Otherwise it’s been a fantastic championships for us with new combinations coming into the mix and young crews showing potential for the future.

The men’s four in particular have impressed me. We haven’t had representation in this class in the last Olympic cycle and now we have a young crew of average age of 21 making it to the B final and finishing second, 8th overall. Hopefully they can push on strongly in the next couple of years. 

3 minutes ago, dodge said:

And just like that one rower becomes ill and they have to pull out 

Typical Irish luck at a championships! Still a historic championship seeing a women’s 8 for the first time and there will be bigger fish to fry in the coming months and years than the European Championships. Still frustrating though :( 

I don’t think many nations who went to the World Cup events were playing games. There has been precious few opportunities to row competitively in recent times and I’d say most of the instances of lack of form or unexpected results would be down to nations / athletes being at different stages of their preparation and training and with Covid no doubt having obvious impacts on preparation.

Yeah Sanita is no longer the favourite for gold in my opinion. A lot has happened since her world championship victories in 2018 and 2019 and the Russian looks like she is the top favourite based on recent results. I think Sanita will improve on her form by the time Tokyo comes round but if she can win a medal I will be very happy with that. Would be exciting to see her back to her best though. Let’s see what can happen :)