website statistics
25 minutes ago, konig said:

Im a little surprised with the performance of Argentina, the Panamerican games is the only last chance to qualiify teams for the Panamerican countries?

There will be one final chance for 1 team to qualify at next year’s Nations Cup final also.

Just now, dcro said:

So Ireland loses a medal thanks to that one time penalty from Cian.

I just knew it would cost them...

Cian and his 1 time penalties, London 2012 memories all over again!

But I take the Olympic quota with open arms and I am running away happy :d 

1 minute ago, dcro said:

I thought Switzerland was down and out, and now they are suddenly in. WTH? :lol:

Ireland casually sits on the podium position with Coyle to go.

Just tell me when it's finished.... I dare not watch this and we always miss out by one place so I can't do it :red:

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

Further changes in eventing.

:AUS Australia decided to choose Kevin McNab after all, while Stuart Tinney has been relegated to the reserve slot. Sad.

Meanwhile, Austin O'Connor will replace Cathal Daniels for :IRL Ireland. It is unclear whether this was a tactical option, or if Daniels withdrew last minute (even after getting accepted at the horse inspection). Any word on this? @OlympicIRL @dodge

Unfortunately Cathal had to withdraw Rioghan Rua :(

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/austin-oconnor-replaces-cathal-daniels-as-irish-eventing-team-get-olympic-campaign-underway/

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wow. So what, Horse Sport Ireland is actively trying to make sure they don't have to do their jobs?

I honestly have no idea what the thinking is in the backrooms of national federations. And to be fair and balanced, I also have no idea what was communicated to the Irish riders by the selectors throughout the qualification period.

Waiting for the next blow of the wind now to see what changes….

53 minutes ago, dcro said:

#LetThemRide is somewhat trending. :d

Not just today. The Irish dressage community has been upset about this from the get go.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/334405444753672/

Looks like the dream is over again :d

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/independent-arbitrator-finds-in-favour-of-horse-sport-ireland/

By the way I see it quoted in this article and in eurodressage that it is still questionable whether the Irish will get a slot now since that quota went to Belgium and the deadline has passed. 

"There may still be hope if there are any slots left particularly in circumstances where they say that the withdrawal of the Team by HSI to the FEI  should not have been accepted as only the OFI that  can withdraw a team," said Rawlins' lawyer.  "They are humbled by the support of the nation that has been shown over the last week and really hope that the OFI decide to send a dressage team to the Olympics to ensure all of the work done to get a place does not go to waste."

Dane told Eurodressage, "I doubt we will get into Tokyo now. Maybe we can change things for others in the future."

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Great. Team Ireland should be back in! @OlympicIRL @Oldira @dodge

https://dressage-news.com/2021/06/29/dane-rawlins-and-james-connor-win-appeal-so-ireland-can-name-team-to-olympics/

So the Belgian euphoria around their first dressage team since Amsterdam 1928 was short lived. :lol:

What a mess. The only people who should be ashamed here is the selectors (i.e. Johann Hinnemann). Fair play to the riders for fighting the decision. Even if they will probably finish last :d

Poor Belgium, I feel sorry for their riders.

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

Here we go. Rawlins and Connor have appealed the decision to withdraw a team. There is some controversy regarding the team coach Johanm Hinneman as well. What a mess. :facepalm: @OlympicIRL @Oldira

https://www.eurodressage.com/2021/06/22/olympic-dream-belgium-after-ireland-withdraws-tokyo-and-luxembourg-has-no-team

If he didn't communicate his intention to withdraw the team to the athletes affected, then that's a disgrace and shame on him. Not surprising though, sadly.... these sorts of controversies are just so common that it's not shocking any more. It's just a lack of human decency if he didn't bother to let Rawlins and Connor, and Holstein for that matter, know what was coming... and they should have been allowed to make a case as well. Doubt much will come of their appeals, sadly.

@dcro Seems like our dressage team is in real doubt now with confirmation that Anna Merveldt’s horse Esporim won’t be ready in time for the Olympics. Devastating turn of events for the Irish dressage team :(, hard to understand this level of bad luck.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/irish-olympic-dressage-dream-is-in-doubt-40504559.html

3 minutes ago, dodge said:

If you asked 3 years ago I’d have said it was a fantasy :d

agreed though, it’s great to see

3 years ago I would have said it was highly unlikely but not fantasy since we at least had riders competing on the circuit and posting decent, if not wonderful scores. It is definitely growing as a discipline and even our eventers are much improved in dressage compared to a few cycles ago when it saw all chances evaporate after the dressage element.

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, Anna Merveldt and Heike Holstein are still going strong, and improving since their debut season aboard new horses in 2019.

James Connor and Dane Rawlins have obtained the requirements so I guess one of them will complete the team (Connor has slightly higher scores, while Rawlins has more international experience at his side).

Is Roland Tong still competing, haven't heard about him in a while, not that he was posting big scores. Sad that our historic first dressage team qualification has been hit with so much setbacks. But in a way I am happy that many of the lesser known riders will get a chance as it will be good building for the next cycle. We can't rely on one or 2 riders to keep doing the business. And if you asked me 10 years ago about us having a team in dressage I would have said it was fantasy :d

13 minutes ago, dcro said:

At this point, they are dropping like flies. :yikes:

Another Irish Girl in Green who achieved the historic qualification - Kate Dwyer - is out as she announced pregnancy.

Ireland will now have to scratch the bottom of the barrel.

https://www.eurodressage.com/2021/06/04/kate-dwyer-withdraws-irish-olympic-team-contention

Lyndal Oatley is out too for Australia.

https://www.eurodressage.com/2021/06/04/lyndal-oatley-withdraws-australian-olympic-team-contention

Will we even be able to make a team at this rate? :d 

Equestrian 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
17 minutes ago, dcro said:

So sad that this day has come but so proud of Judy and JP for everything they have given us over the last few years and even prouder that she did what is right for JP. Happy retirement Vancouver K :thankyou:

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

Anyways, after Frankfurt there is only one ranking competition left - Mechelen WC after Christmas.

Here is a break-down of individual qualification for dressage...

Group A - :FIN:NOR qualified

Group B - :FRA:LUX or :AUT:LUX or :LUX:SUI will qualify

Group C - :UKR:BLR qualified

Groups D/E - :DOM:BER:MEX:BRA qualified

Group F - :MAR qualified, :RSA or :PLE

Group G - :NZL:KOR qualified

Additional - :SUI or :BEL

I wonder will we see a certain judge from

:FRA and Mr.Umbach here :d 

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

What a circus. :lol:

:LUX Umbach can go screw himself, for all I care. 78% was absolutely ridiculous score for Ayache. Thank you for having a sense of justice :GER Dr. Evi Eisenhardt. 67%. Cool. :cheer:

image.png

Where are the other 2 judges from? One really high score and one really low score. Either 3 bad scoring judges (the 3 high ones) or 2 bad scoring (the low and the high) :d

I like the new format too because it will make teams really focus on picking horses that excel in cross-country, otherwise they are taking a huge risk. With one discarded score it was always worth taking a risk with the selection and include maybe one combination that is super strong in dressage but unreliable on cross-country in the hope they can make it around. But I do hope they make difficult cross country tests at big championships like the Olympics so that the cream will rise to the top.

OMG!!! Finally we are back at the Olympics!!! First Irish showjumping team since Athens 2004. What a ridiculous sentence but true. So so so many times we missed out by one place and a time penalty or hundredths of a second and last time we had the debacle of a steward running in front of our horse meaning we missed out on time.

So let me let out years of pent up frustration......

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Feel so sorry for Italy, I know how it feels. But it was finally our turn, after 16 years of waiting!!

Ireland qualified a dressage team for the Olympics for the first time ever!! :clap:

And now I will re-read that sentence a hundred times because it hardly seems possible and even until a couple of months ago I would have thought such a thing was crazy beyond belief :d

The Irish squad for the European eventing championships is as follows:

• Clare Abbott riding Euro Prince
  • Cathal Daniels riding Rioghan Rua
  • Sarah Ennis riding Woodcourt Garrison
  • Ciaran Glynn riding November Night
  • Sam Watson riding Imperial Sky or Tullabeg Flamenco

Edited by OlympicIRL