website statistics

For a discipline that's getting the short end of a stick with the removal of two events, the variety in the 10 Olympic events is quite something. 7 gold medalist nations, 17 medalist nations, from all the continents with the exception of Africa. 

:POL  2-1-0

:ESP  2-1-0

:HUN  2-0-1

:CHN  1-0-2

:NZL  1-0-0

:ROU  1-0-0

:USA  1-0-0

:GER  0-2-2

:AUS  0-1-1

:UKR  0-1-1

:BRA  0-1-0

:CRO  0-1-0

:LTU  0-1-0

:POR  0-1-0

:BEL  0-0-1

:CZE  0-0-1

:MEX  0-0-1

Our male K4 boat won't be in the final... At this point I think it's safe to say that Hungary is simply unable to deliver good results in this event. We can actually miss the Olympic qualification in Men's K4, which would be a disaster.

The lineups of the finals in the Olympic events so far:

Women's K4 500m - :GBR  :HUN  :ESP  :NZL  :POL  :GER  :AUS  :MEX  :CAN 

Men's K4 500m - :CAN  :SVK  :CZE  :GER  :ESP  :POL  :UKR  :FRA  :POR 

Women's C2 500m - :MDA  :GER  :FRA  :CHN  :CUB  :UKR  :HUN  :CAN  :POL 

Men's C2 500m - :FRA  :UKR  :CHN  :ITA  :POL  :ESP  :GER  :HUN  :LTU 

The :HUN team has a lot of changes compared to Tokyo, none of the Olympic champion athletes from women's K4 boat are returning, so don't expect a gold medal in that event this time. Women's K4 will probably be :POL v :NZL now that our team is young and Belarus isn't there. Bálint Kopasz is the only Hungarian Olympic champion from Tokyo who will be at this WCh. This WCh will be a great test before the Olympic qualification, we have to find out if we can move on to the next generation. As far as I know our junior results have been quite good over the years, but that doesn't guarantee success every time (*khm* women's handball *khm*)

The most predictable podium in men's kayak, 1. :GER 2. :ESP 3. :SVK, Germany avoids the complete flop in Canoe Sprint in the one event where they dominate the most. 

Well done, boys, this is a nice 7th place from a new boat. Before the Games I thought that we won't even be in FA, so this is improvement. 

It's hard to say how the conditions changed everything or how much some boats got tired, but both Poland and New Zealand had a slower final than the SF while we and Belarus peaked in the final. I think in the case of the Kiwis they got tired by the end of it, after all they had 4 women's kayak athletes for 4 events while we had 6. 

Edit: Still, massive kudos to Carrington, 3 gold medals and a 4th place is an amazing achievement, I doubt we will ever see something like this again. 

I guess I am moron because I shouldn't have doubted them, that was an amazing race from the girls. Finally, at the last race Kozák was her old, unbeatable self that we remember from Rio. 6-times Olympic champion, Danuta Kozák is now the most successful female Hungarian Olympic athlete of all time, she overtook Krisztina Egerszegi. 

Here comes the women's K4... honestly, I just hope that we will win a medal at the very least, :BLR was really close to beating us in the SF. I have the same bad feeling that I had before the women's K1 (about Kozák) and before the women's K2. Something is just not working well with this boat and with our women's kayak in general, I think the golden years are over, but I hope that I am wrong and they can pull this win off one last time. 

Now this is something that rarely happens, :MDA Tarnovschi won the bronze in Rio and then was stripped of his medal due to doping, plus got a 4 year ban. He would have missed the Games if it wouldn't have been postponed, and now he's back and he literally does the same thing that he did in Rio, hopefully without any violations this time. 

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Like mentioned earlier, Poland has won a grand total of 0 Olympic gold medals in sprint canoeing. It's ill-advised to pick us for any gold.

I think you have never been this strong in women's K4 before and you have already surprised us in K2. Our first 250m was shit twice now, if you will have a huge lead in the final at the halfway point, which I am afraid of, I doubt that we can turn things around in such a short distance. 

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Out of curiousity, is Adolf a common surname in Hungary? I'd love him to win even if it's just so I can write a cheap-scoring headline about "Adolf takes Olympic gold" :p 

Just like ones in previous years about "Erdogan takes world title in weightlifting" and "Trump defeated by Iran" (which was snooker) :p 

Adolf is a surname I've never seen before though.

I think it's not that common here. 

4 minutes ago, lunatik said:

I guess it was planned to do only the 1st half of the distance this time.

But in K4 W. - 12 boats, and there are 3 rounds to eliminate 4 boats before the final. Great. :facepalm:

Considering how new this Hungarian K4 boat is, this is the one time I am glad they will have to race multiple times.