website statistics
4 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, I'd add both race walkers (Cosi & Mihai, who already had a good senior debut in the past 12 months) and Rachele Mori, who totally blew this championship and had a lot of troubles this year, but she's still very young and despite all the problems, she's already gone up to 69 meters in the hammer throw in her first senior year (in any case, she's also the most disappointing among our athletes in this season, Jacobs and his fragile muscles apart...I expected her to already overtake that loser named Fantini and it didn't even get close to happen)

p.s. I'd also consider Ceccarelli still a promising youngster only (he's born in 2000, he could have been in Espoo), even if right now the expectations have gone so high with him

p.p.s. Iapichino finally has become a bit more than "promising", now she's an established contender in the women's LJ

1) I don't care about race walking and think that this shouldn't be a sport, so i can't judge the perspective of your race walkers.

2) Mori hasn't really progressed recently, so it doesn't look good, 69 m isn't very impressive. Women's hammer throw doesn't have a lot of depth, so maybe she can still reach the top 8 some day.

3) Someone born in 2000 wouldn't have been allowed to participate. U23 -> 22 or younger -> born in 2001 or later

4) Women's long jump clearly regressed recently. It looks as if 6.90 or even 6.85 might be enough for a medal at world level currently. Personally i wouldn't call someone an established contender who has never done anything at world level.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

32 minutes ago, phelps said:

Larissa and the men's relays saved our ass in a pretty disappointing championship

even if the overall number of medals looks pretty, in fact, we had very few finalists and/or competitive athletes in many events and way too many people underperforming

moreover, many results that might look good are not so promising in perspective, which is the worst thing that can happen in an age class championship

I think Iapichino and Simonelli are your most promising talents (+ Furlani of course), not sure if any of your other talents could become world class.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Normally around 10 of the medalists go on to reach world-class (top 8 at world championships/olympics). I think the following athletes are the most likely (Hodgkinson, Kosonen, Alekna and Kokhan excluded, since they already did it) to do it:

Felfner

Vanninen

Dokter

M. Rooth

Skotheim

Zhoya

Iapichino

Tzengko

Kambundji

Attaoui/Ingvaldsen

Overall a very strong generation in my opinion (even if two of the largest countries, Poland and Germany, don't contribute much). I didn't even include athletes like

Ammirati, Anselmini, Azu, Afrifrah, Alesaari, Askag, Bouju, Flatnes, Hummel, Hussey, Healy, John, Jaeger, Meziane, O'Sullivan, Simonelli, Vicente or Van Daalen + we also shouldn't forget that some of the best athletes like Mahuchikh, Adeleke or Skrzyszowska didn't even compete. I don't remember the last time we had so many promising talents at U23 european championships.

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I guess at that age athletes do not have the experience to peak twice in a season & of course their NCAA coach is not going to act in anybody else’s interest.

I also think that some discus results are fishy. If you got perfect conditions (wind) you can throw 2-3 m farther than you normally could. Not sure if that was the case with him.

19 hours ago, justony said:

He still should easily take gold, Sotero being only true contender.

Meanwhile, first dissapointment for our team, Čurin Prapotnik after astonishing breakthrough season has not managed to qualify even for 100 m semis.

Very weird take ...

1) "He still should EASILY take gold" + "Sotero being only true CONTENDER" ...?

2) How can you call Sotero a contender but not Richter? (Personally i think that neither of them is a contender for gold)

6 hours ago, Werloc said:

I'll be happy if we come out with two golds from here with Alekna and Karinauskaitė.

A 400m final for Keršulis.

And a good PB for Vaitaitytė in Heptathlon.

Lukrecija Sabaitytė could do okay in 200m and perhaps increase her slim chances to qualify to the European Championships in 2024.

Other than that, highly disappointed that we're sending only 8 athletes. Our race walker that was qualified is nowhere to be seen, two athletes qualified days after the qualification was closed. Our talented javelin thrower quit the sport and other three candidates didn't recover from injuries all season.

This 8 people team could've easily been 16 at least, but a really bad season for our u23ers. 

Gold for Alekna is a lock, he has no competition. 3000 m SC is a different topic, she might very well only win a minor medal.

4 hours ago, hckošice said:

Mini-team Slovensko composed of 13 athletes is already in Espoo since yesterday morning.

Espoo-2023-vyprava-hlavna-cast-1536x1152

M

200m: Jakub Nemec (40th best SB out of the 47 entries)

400m Hurdles: Denis Bartek (30th best SB out of the 30 entries)

Shot Put: Karel Šula (15th best SB out of the 15 entries)

W

100m: Agáta Cellerová (24th best SB out of the 32 entries)

200m: Lenka Kovačovicová (30th best SB out of the 30 entries)

100m Hurdles: Viktória Forster (2nd best SB out of the 40 entries)

400m Hurdles: Andrea Švecová (41st best SB out of the 41 entries)

Long Jump: Monika Lehenová (23rd best SB out of the 35 entries)

Shot Put: Natália Váleková (16th best SB out of the 20 entries)

20km Race Walk: Alžbeta Ragasová (12th best SB out of the 23 entries), Karin Devaldová (22nd best SB out of the 23 entries)

4x100m Team Relay: (Forster, Lehenová, Kovačovicová, Alternates for the last leg: Viktória Strýčková, Martina Segečová) 13 Nations entering

Not a lot of expectations overall, since majority of the team having the worst SB of all participants in their events,

but, there still 1 name we are all looking forward. The former youth National Team Biathlete, nowadays fully on athletics focusing newest :SVK rocket Viki Forster.

:GER dad, :SVK mom, She did qualify in all her events 100 dash, 200 and 100 Hurdles + obvioulsy the relay. However even if she still run all mentioned events and still did not pick entirely her focus on one single choice, for this championship she decided to try only the 100 Hurdles in which she already destroyed the Seniors National record lately. Former Buenos Aires Youth olympian and 6th from the Nairobi Junior Worlds in the 100m is definitely our newest rising star. At the European Games for god knows which reason was not picked for the 100 Hurdles, which was in my eyes still a criminal act mistake, she wrote the history books with her 1st leg of the 4x100 realy where she knocked the fastest time overall. + this season is repeatedly beating the hurdles NRs including the senior one. 

Forster_Nairobi_0794be70c0.png

We could really use someone like her. She would be by far our best hurdler.

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Heum... the famous "second page of the male 200m" event.

So, yeah, no.

Seems like one of the most implausible events to have a slovakian athlete as number 1, given that Afrifah (who ran 19.96 s last year) is also entered.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th   Points
FRA 3 6 9 4 3   77
GBR 6 3 3 4 2   61
ITA 2 3 7 6 5   60
GER 0 3 6 3 8   44
ESP 4 3 1 2 4   43
NOR 3 3 0 1 1   30
NED 3 3 0 1 0   29
FIN 2 3 0 2 3   29
UKR 3 2 0 0 0   23
GRE 2 2 1 1 0   23
TUR 1 0 2 2 2   17
HUN 2 1 0 1 0   16
SUI 1 1 2 0 0   15
POL 0 0 2 2 5   15
EST 1 0 1 3 0   14
SWE 0 2 1 1 1   14
BEL 0 2 1 1 1   14
ISR 2 0 0 0 1   11
IRL 1 1 0 1 0   11
LTU 2 0 0 0 0   10
SLO 0 1 1 1 0   9
CZE 0 0 0 4 0   8
AUT 0 0 2 0 1   7
POR 1 0 0 0 1   6
CYP 1 0 0 0 0   5
SVK 0 1 0 0 0   4
LAT 0 0 1 0 0   3
KOS 0 0 0 1 0   2
DEN 0 0 0 0 2   2
ROU 0 0 0 0 1   1

Take at it as you wish, but it should give a very basic idea of each nation strength before these championships begin.

Not sure how much sense that makes, given that the entry list was released some time ago (and therefore doesn't include performances from last weekend).

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2023 at 12:31 PM, Monzanator said:

In hindsight I think this is a big win for Russia. Lifting that state-sponsored doping ban would always be the more difficult task and could have been extended indefinitely. Now it's gone and people don't notice it since the war is more important. After the war ends you will be Russians reinstated into competition and many people will wonder what happened with the doping ban.

I am certainly not a fan of Russia, but doping-wise the only thing you can really blame them for is that they were too stupid to cover it up properly. Everyone always knew that Russia wouldn’t change, so I guess the plan was to wait with letting them back in until the public had forgotten about their Doping Problem. What I don’t quite understand is why the western countries can’t use their (political) influence to kick Russia out completely. This would make it much easier for western countries to win more medals. I guess either the western countries have other interests or Russia just has more power over the IOC.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted
1 hour ago, ChandlerMne said:

Just a reminder. NATO started brutal campaign of bombing Yugoslavia in 1999, today is 24th "anniversary".

I wonder how Totallympics users would react in these days, would they condemn civilian victims and protect human rights... :mumble:

I faced those times personally, banning of Yugoslavia athletes in 1992-1995 likewise. 

Every time i will say - let the athletes compete, as long as they take neutral stance. 

I dont have simpathy for Russia but this level of xenophobia and hatred is indeed shocking. 

Slovenia is doing really good economically.

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

:NOR wins the medal table. As if you think biathlon and nordic skiing was enough for them... :old:

It is interesting to see that often the countries that are good in one endurance sport are good in many/all endurance sports.

Norway: Biathlon, speed skating, cross-country skiing, running, cycling

Netherlands: Speed skating, cycling, rowing, running

Italy: Rowing, cycling, swimming, running/speed skating to some degree

GB: Rowing, cycling, swimming, running, triathlon

Also there have been many athletes who were good in multiple of those sports (mainly 2 out of speed skating/cross-country/cycling/rowing/running).

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Conversely, I’d imagine there’s more sponsorship money in marathon running than there is in pole vaulting. However, I’d also imagine Mondo will be one of the best paid athletes for the next few cycles.

Yes, but not sure how that relates. The issue is whether World Athletics itself should (demand organizers of competitions sanctioned by them to) reward Mondo‘s performances with far more money than the performances of Rojas for example. I am not sure by how much those two have improved the world record in their disciplines (percentually). Triple jump certainly doesn’t allow Rojas to „control“ the world record the same way as Mondo does in pole vault. I don’t think that the Prize Money Rojas received adequately represents the impressiveness of her performances compared to those of Mondo.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted

There aren‘t many disciplines were Athletes can Control World records like that. I think Isinbaeva used to do the Same. Seems a Bit unfair that the potential to earn prize money is directly related to that. Maybe it would be better if the prize money would depend on the percentage of world record improvement. What Kipchoge did over the years has been at least as impressive, but of course he never had the chance to do what Duplantis regularly does.

Indian and Nigeria competing with a mixed team in women‘s 4 x 400 m relay. „Women‘s“ 200/400/800 m have become pointless events sadly.

Athletics 2022 Discussion Thread
Posted
25 minutes ago, FireRun said:

Merle Homeier :GER won long jump in Indoor Meeting Dortmund 2022 with a jump long 6,47m. For comparison, the WL at the moment is 6,85 by Ivana "Španović" Vuleta. Big favorite Khaddi Sagnia has a poor competition jumping only 6,03m, with 5 failed jumps and finished way down in 8th place. 

Joris van Gool :NED won the 60m with 6,60s.

Gina Lückenkemper :GER finally won something again with her 7,22s win in 60m. 

Justyna Święty-Ersetic :POL won 400m with a meeting record (MR) of 52,10s, which is exactly one second off the current WL.

KC Lightfoot :USA continued with another MR 5,95m (which he broke twice) in pole vault.

To top it all off Lily Kaden :GER won 200m with yet another MR 23,47

I don't think that is true. Bol ran 50.72 s today.

15 minutes ago, Bearas said:

And :LTU continue to dominate discus! Mykolas Alekna (son of legendary thrower Virgilijus Alekna) just won a gold medal!

Continue?

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

9.86s in her leg of 4*100m  looks like by 26 years she'll go under 9s 

I think you are overestimating the time. Tia Clayton, who only ran 11.60 this year, was less than 0.3 slower. Also I doubt that „she“ will still be allowed to compete when „she“ is 26 years old.

17 hours ago, PHI2019 said:

Sasha Zhoya wins the 110 meter hurdles in a world U20 record of 12.72 seconds. It makes you wonder how fast he can run in the event at the senior level.

My guess would be around 13.30 s. He seems pretty small and that might be a disadvantage with higher hurdles. Belocian also looked like a sure thing at junior level, but never developed as expected.

57 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Gold with 4.15m and podium with 4.05m in pole vault, maybe the lowest level ever?

Yes.

Worst ever winning height at U20 worlds: 4.20 m in 2000 and 1998 (the first two times this event was contested)

Worst ever height needed for bronze at U20 worlds: 4.10 m in 2000 and 1998

For comparison the marks that won gold/bronze at the last 3 U20 worlds and the result you would have gotten with 4.15 m:

2018: 4.51 m, 4.35 m, 9th place

2016: 4.55 m, 4.40 m, 7th place

2014: 4.50 m, 4.45 m, 9th place

At 2018 U18 Euros it took 4.26 m to win gold and 4.16 m to win silver. At 2021 U20 Euros it took 4.30 m to win gold, 4.20 m to win silver and 4.15 m to win bronze. I think this event clearly suffered from the absence of the german and american girls.

The following are the most interesting athletes competing for me:

Krzysztof Roznicki (men's 800 m)
Sasha Zhoya (men's 110 m hurdles)

Anthony Ammirati (men's pole vault)

Matvei Volkov (men's pole vault)

Mykolas Alekna (men's discus throw)

Jente Hauttekeete (men's decathlon)
Tina Clayton (women's 100 m)

Favour Ofili (women's 200 m)

Kornelia Lesiewicz (women's 400 m)

Deribe Welteji (women's 1500 m)

Prisca Chesang (women's 3000/5000 m)

Zerfe Wondemagegn (women's 3000 m SC)
Ackera Nugent (women's 100 m hurdles)

Ditaji Kambundji (women's 100 m hurdles)

Maja Askag (women's triple jump)

Silja Kosonen (women's hammer throw)

Rose Loga (women's hammer throw)

Elina Tzengo (women's javelin throw)

Adriana Vilagos (women's javelin throw)

Saga Vanninen (women's heptathlon)

I think almost all of them have medal potential at the 2024 olympics. On paper men's pole vault, women's 200 m, women's 100 m hurdles, women's hammer throw and women's javelin throw should be the most interesting competitions.

List of some of the most promising athletes missing (for different reasons):

Erriyon Knighton (men's 100/200 m)

Sachin Dennis (men's 100 m)

Jeriel Quainoo (men's 100 m)

Jeff Erius (men's 100 m)

Johnnie Blockburger (men's 400 m)

Justin Robinson (men's 400 m)

Sean Burrell (men's 400 m/400 m hurdles)

Max Burgin (men's 800 m)

Hobbs Kessler (men's 1500 m)

Joel Ibler Lillesø (men's 5000 m)

Axel Vang Christensen (men's 5000 m)

Ryuji Mura (men's 3000 m SC)

Matthew Sophia (men's 110 m hurdles)

Oliver Koletzko (men's long jump)

Brianna Williams (women's 100 m)

Amy Hunt (women's 200 m)

Athing Mu (women's 400/800 m)

Keely Hodgkinson (women's 800 m)

Andrea Rooth (women's 100/400 m hurdles)

Mariya Kochanova (women's high jump)

Johanna Göring (women's high jump)

Mikaelle Assani (women's long jump)

Larissa Iapichino (women's long jump)

Laura Raquel Müller (women's long jump)

Leyanis Perez Hernandez (women's triple jump)

Henriette Jaeger (women's heptathlon)

Too bad that Germany will miss this. I think it has been a long time since Germany last was this good at U20 level with 4 world leaders and multiple other medal contenders.

5 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Looking at the world rankings I doubt :GBR would have won any medals even with a full team.

Hodgkinson could have sleepwalked to a medal (Ojora in women's triple jump or your men's 4x100 m relay also would have had a good shot).

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
4 hours ago, Makedonas said:

I think her and :GRE Elina Tzengko will have a big rivalry in the future

Or they both will never amount to anything like most teen phenoms before. Hussong and Andrejczyk? are both easily young enough to go until 2024 at least and both have thrown 69+ m this year, a level that very few have reached before.

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
9 hours ago, LDOG said:

Women's javelin desperately needs a new star and this girl could be it. The most unremarkable field event over the last few years.

Throwing events in general don't create a lot of interest. Also most field events aren't super exciting currently, except for maybe men's pole vault, men's shot put, women's triple jump and to some degree women's high jump.