website statistics
2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Medal for :BUR, but Zango could have done more. At least silver.

He had a lot of pressure on him. The pressure always increases that much more when you’re chasing your countries first medal at the Olympics.

He seemed to be a collapsing a lot going into his third phase today. I think he was quite nervous and thus forgot some of the basics because he was trying so hard.

It won’t be what he wanted, but it’s still a huge achievement.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

I don't think so. To me it looked as if he realized he was in a big lead and started playing it way too safe.

Huh, I guess I need to go rewatch that race at some point when I get the chance. I was watching that and the W C1 200m final at the same time, so maybe I just missed something…

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

He was in the lead and gave it away, as the top favourite, and he was quite far below his earlier level. It's not the kind of mega chokes you see in shooting, but it does fit the description.

Yeah, I guess it’s more I wouldn’t use “choke” to describe his performance here. It’s below what he would have wanted/expected, but he’s still a medalist. For me, he just got outraced on the day. It happens. 

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Choke for Holloway :yikes: 

I feel like the definition of choke on Totallympics doesn’t always match the actual definition of the word. Yes, Holloway was the favorite, but it’s not like he made some major mistake that cost him the gold medal; he just got outraced. That’s not so much a choke as just a plain loss to a quicker competitor on the day. 

That’s my semantics lesson for the day :p

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

There's not any good forecast website for the multi-events anymore, is there? :( 

Decathletes of Europe has this: https://decathletesofeurope.co.uk/meetings/preview-olympic-games/

Wow! What a session that was last night! Just got a chance to watch it, and it did not disappoint :hyper:

TJ WR for Rojas :VEN, OR for Camacho-Quinn :PUR, surprise 100m gold for :ITA, and a shared gold HJ gold for :ITA:QAT

I read through the debate about the shared gold medal in High Jump, and here’s my thoughts on the matter. I like the idea of a shared gold medal here. Both athletes had an opportunity to clear 2.39m in order to take the gold outright; neither was able to. Both also put forth and full and honest effort throughout the competition. They had been equally matched all night, and so I think it’s justified/right that they both a receive a gold medal since they both had the highest jump. If they had gone to tiebreaker and one of them managed to clear 2.39m then that’s an acceptable outcome as well. However, should have to have gone down to 2.37m to decide a winner, that would mean that someone who had the highest jump in the high jump doesn’t win the gold medal, and that doesn’t seem like a justifiable or correct outcome.

Fun Fact: With :NRU officially participating in Athletics at these Olympics, :BHU now becomes the only active NOC to have never sent a representative in Athletics to the Olympics.

3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

It's a tricky situation, I would let them and :DOM run again in a special heat to try and get a q time. Definitely that heat shouldn't count

That might have been a more agreeable solution to this situation.

Apparently it’s impossible to get DSQ in a relay nowadays…

The :USA getting reinstated is a mockery of the sport. I’m sorry, but at the Olympic Games, you should full well know how to find the proper exchange zone on your own. I get that it was likely an honest mistake, and I feel bad for the athlete, but WA shouldn’t be reinstating teams at this level for things like this.

4 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Runner with the name-badge Temporary!  Scicluna of Malta!  :roflmao:

Someone messed up!

Athlete’s name is “TEHUPEIORY,” so might have been right. Her name does look similar to “temporary” though.