website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

Just now, Wanderer said:

This is big disappointment for tennis and WTA. Sharapova and Serena without any doubt biggest WTA names in recent 10 or more years. Such a pity her legacy will have a mark to her name... :(

I agree with you :(

Found this interesting article http://roidvisor.com/performance-enhancing-drugs-used-by-elite-athletes-that-are-surprisingly-legal/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25847280

2015 Dec;7(11-12):973-9. doi: 10.1002/dta.1788. Epub 2015 Apr 5.

Mildronate (Meldonium) in professional sports - monitoring doping control urine samples using hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography - high resolution/high accuracy mass spectrometry.

Abstract

To date, substances such as Mildronate (Meldonium) are not on the radar of anti-doping laboratories as the compound is not explicitly classified as prohibited. However, the anti-ischemic drug Mildronate demonstrates an increase in endurance performance of athletes, improved rehabilitation after exercise, protection against stress, and enhanced activations of central nervous system (CNS) functions. In the present study, the existing evidence of Mildronate's usage in sport, which is arguably not (exclusively) based on medicinal reasons, is corroborated by unequivocal analytical data allowing the estimation of the prevalence and extent of misuse in professional sports. Such data are vital to support decision-making processes, particularly regarding the ban on drugs in sport. Due to the growing body of evidence (black market products and athlete statements) concerning its misuse in sport, adequate test methods for the reliable identification of Mildronate are required, especially since the substance has been added to the 2015 World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) monitoring program. In the present study, two approaches were established using an in-house synthesized labelled internal standard (Mildronate-D3 ). One aimed at the implementation of the analyte into routine doping control screening methods to enable its monitoring at the lowest possible additional workload for the laboratory, and another that is appropriate for the peculiar specifics of the analyte, allowing the unequivocal confirmation of findings using hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography-high resolution/high accuracy mass spectrometry (HILIC-HRMS). Here, according to applicable regulations in sports drug testing, a full qualitative validation was conducted. The assay demonstrated good specificity, robustness (rRT=0.3%), precision (intra-day: 7.0-8.4%; inter-day: 9.9-12.9%), excellent linearity (R>0.99) and an adequate lower limit of detection (<10 ng/mL). Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

KEYWORDS:

HILIC; Mildronate; doping; mass spectrometry; monitoring program; sport

Edited by Wanderer

Sharapova :lol::facepalm:(mostly the 2nd one)

Please just don't even try to give excuses for it, nobody is gonna believe that all these tons of athletes who suddenly got busted for exactly the same drug use it for anything else than enhancing performance. Maria, good thing you announced it yourself like this, but shame on you for not just saying "I used doping and I cheated, the end" and coming up with excuses instead. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And Martina Navratilova already reacted saying something like "I hope this gets cleared up because it looks like an honest mistake".

No, Martina, it does not look like an honest mistake. It looks very much like deliberatly cheating. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Now the ATP, when! Anyways a big blow to her image and the WTA, unintentional or not. The fact that she has been using it for 10 years and that it is banned just from this year should be no excuse. Every top athlete should check the WADA list, especially when they do take medication. Even though it wasn't banned before i surely helped her through the years, so i don't know if this will leave a mark on her results. 

6 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Now the ATP, when! Anyways a big blow to her image and the WTA, unintentional or not. The fact that she has been using it for 10 years and that it is banned just from this year should be no excuse. Every top athlete should check the WADA list, especially when they do take medication. Even though it wasn't banned before i surely helped her through the years, so i don't know if this will leave a mark on her results. 

I think it will leave the same mark that every other dirty athlete has on their results: a very big one.

9 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Weird thing as, among many others, if she really needed a drug for supposed decease, why she was prescribed a drug prohibited in USA? She has been living in there for years...

Exactly. And there is no way I'm gonna believe that for years she took a drug that was already on WADA's list of monitored drugs without she or anyone surrounding her having an idea that it might become illegal. I can imagine the world number 1544 or something misses the notification of the drug becoming illegal, but not a worldwide sports super star like Sharapova (when it's even being announced on RUSADA's site, in Russian, that meldonium will become illegal). 

No way Maria. No. Way.