website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Cup 2021 (Doha)

Totallympics

23 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Petrounias' score is probably the biggest robbery I've seen in over 20 years following gymnastics.

He didn't deserve to qualify, to be honest. Still, the Olympics will be a better event with him. But I'm really, really angry at how bad the judging here was.

He needed to score above 15.333, and this was the third time he did it this year (he did it at the European Championships in qualifying and the final). He was injured and missed competitions for a year, missing out on World Cup events where he could've won/prevented Liu Yang from gaining those points. Then at the World Championships (his first competition in over a year) he finished 4th and the top 3 were all from countries that didn't qualify in the team event, so 4th place did nothing for him. Then he won Melbourne World Cup, then he won Baku although the final was cancelled so his qualifying score was used as the final result. In Baku I'm sure his score in the final would've been more than the qualifying score, so he probably wouldn't have needed such a high score this time around anyways. He definitely deserves credit for qualifying against all odds. I'm sure the postponement of the Games also helped of course.

I am sorry for Liu Yang. I wish there was a way that both can be in Tokyo but to say that Petrounias didn't deserve to qualify is a bit unfair especially considering everything he went through, and also the fact that Greece didn't qualify in the team event so we couldn't even use him there. Petrounias has been the best on the rings over the last 5 years so it would've been a crime if he didn't make it to the Olympics. Especially for our country, we don't win a lot of Olympic medals and he will be our only gymnast going to Tokyo. I know it still sucks for Chinese fans and I sympathise with them, but at least they know they will win other medals in gymnastics.

13 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

He needed to score above 15.333, and this was the third time he did it this year (he did it at the European Championships in qualifying and the final). He was injured and missed competitions for a year, missing out on World Cup events where he could've won/prevented Liu Yang from gaining those points. Then at the World Championships (his first competition in over a year) he finished 4th and the top 3 were all from countries that didn't qualify in the team event, so 4th place did nothing for him. Then he won Melbourne World Cup, then he won Baku although the final was cancelled so his qualifying score was used as the final result. In Baku I'm sure his score in the final would've been more than the qualifying score, so he probably wouldn't have needed such a high score this time around anyways. He definitely deserves credit for qualifying against all odds. I'm sure the postponement of the Games also helped of course.

I am sorry for Liu Yang. I wish there was a way that both can be in Tokyo but to say that Petrounias didn't deserve to qualify is a bit unfair especially considering everything he went through, and also the fact that Greece didn't qualify in the team event so we couldn't even use him there. Petrounias has been the best on the rings over the last 5 years so it would've been a crime if he didn't make it to the Olympics. Especially for our country, we don't win a lot of Olympic medals and he will be our only gymnast going to Tokyo. I know it still sucks for Chinese fans and I sympathise with them, but at least they know they will win other medals in gymnastics.

The problem is that he didn't deserve this score today. I'm not a fan of China, and I'm not rooting for Liu Yang, but I want results to be fair no matter what, and today it was not a fair result. He was severely overscored to the point that it felt like the judges forced Petrounias' way to the Olympics. There are specific and technical deductions that were applied to all others during today's final -- rather severely, I must say, especially for Zanetti and Çolak -- but were completely overlooked for Petrounias.

What the judges did today was the ugliest that they could have done. They knew how much they had to score Petrounias, and they scored him even higher to "eliminate" suspicions, but it only made everything a lot worse than it already was.

I know Petrounias suffered with injuries, but this is sport, not charity work. He was rewarded with an Olympic quota, not awarded one. It was almost given to him, instead of him being worthy of getting it, at least by what he showed today.

2 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

@MHSN If the Japanese in vault scoring more than 15.086 which never happen before, the he will receive the vault quota and the one in pommel horse lose it. Then Iran will get it.

:lol::lol:

am I right that if the Asian Champs wasn't cancelled. Japan most probably would qualify someone there and therefore they wouldn't be interested in this quota?

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

:lol::lol:

am I right that if the Asian Champs wasn't cancelled. Japan most probably would qualify someone there and therefore they wouldn't be interested in this quota?

Not really. The hierarchy of World Cup quota higher than Continental quota. Only if Japan decline the World Cup quota purposely they may have the continental quota. But I am not sure if it works this way. Because continental quota goes to NOC but WC goes to individual. So every NOC prefers the NOC one. Then China and Japan will both decline the WC quota. If it works this way, it's a bug.

At the end, the qualification system is way too complicated full of calculation. It's not good for anyone.

20 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

The problem is that he didn't deserve this score today. I'm not a fan of China, and I'm not rooting for Liu Yang, but I want results to be fair no matter what, and today it was not a fair result. He was severely overscored to the point that it felt like the judges forced Petrounias' way to the Olympics. There are specific and technical deductions that were applied to all others during today's final -- rather severely, I must say, especially for Zanetti and Çolak -- but were completely overlooked for Petrounias.

What the judges did today was the ugliest that they could have done. They knew how much they had to score Petrounias, and they scored him even higher to "eliminate" suspicions, but it only made everything a lot worse than it already was.

I know Petrounias suffered with injuries, but this is sport, not charity work. He was rewarded with an Olympic quota, not awarded one. It was almost given to him, instead of him being worthy of getting it, at least by what he showed today.

What score would you have given Petrounias then?

9 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

What score would you have given Petrounias then?

To make things fair, the point is not what would have given him, but what the judging panel should have given compared to how they judged the other gymnasts. Zanetti performed his best routine in the last 3 years. His execution is comparable to how Petrounias did, even though, of course, there's a difference between their strong points and weak points. Petrounias has great execution, but he missed at least 0.5 for unintentionally moving the cables back and forth a number of times and 0.3 for a not so great handstand. His opening skill alone had adjustments in body position that could have been deducted in 0.3 or more. And there are other smaller deductions that could be applied to his body position, especially his piked roll to cross position, which was not great.

Now, the thing is that some judging panels sometimes "overlook" some mistakes, but they do it for every gymnast in a final, not a single one. What happened today is that the panel seems to have overlooked only Petrounias' mistakes. It's like they absolutely had to make sure no one else was going to win even if Petrounias didn't perform the best possible routine he could have done.

Anyway, there's no use crying over spilled milk, and my rant is about the judging and not about Petrounias as a gymnast. As I mentioned, the Olympics will be a better event with Petrounias competing, but the way things were handled left a very sour taste in my mouth.

It's complete nonsense to compare scores that are given at different competitions anyway, and that was always a glaring flaw of this dumpster fire of a qualification system.

Any outcome that came down to the best score tie-breaker would always be unfair. Liu Yang was robbed by the judges, and the alternative was Petrounias being robed by an unfair tie-breaker. It's a bad situation created by a bad qualification document.

22 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

@MHSN If the Japanese in vault scoring more than 15.086 which never happen before, the he will receive the vault quota and the one in pommel horse lose it. Then Iran will get it.

I can't believe he will miss the Olympics because he scored just 0.071 less than he needed. This is heartbreaking.