website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2021 Thread

Wumo

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Like what, checkers and competitive eating?

I mean in many of sports doping might give a bit of strength advantage but you still need to very talanted to stand a chance - you can’t go like Michelle Smith and go from obscurity to multiple champion in many sports just by doping. 

21 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I mean in many of sports doping might give a bit of strength advantage but you still need to very talanted to stand a chance - you can’t go like Michelle Smith and go from obscurity to multiple champion in many sports just by doping. 

Well yeah, in basically every sport even with doping you still need some serious degree of talent and a shit ton of dedication (even if in this case it's the wrong kind of dedication) to put in the work, simply because generally doping doesn't automagically make you faster or stronger, but because it makes you be able to train more and/or harder.

There's really barely any sport where doping would not have an advantage. Even if the advantage is relatively small, that can still make the difference between being someone who sometimes reaches the top-20 or something and being a serious medal contender, since differences at the top are often small.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Well yeah, in basically every sport even with doping you still need some serious degree of talent and a shit ton of dedication (even if in this case it's the wrong kind of dedication) to put in the work, simply because generally doping doesn't automagically make you faster or stronger, but because it makes you be able to train more and/or harder.

There's really barely any sport where doping would not have an advantage. Even if the advantage is relatively small, that can still make the difference between being someone who sometimes reaches the top-20 or something and being a serious medal contender, since differences at the top are often small.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's the good old rope: footballers don't dope because this is all about 'talent' :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

That's the good old rope: footballers don't dope because this is all about 'talent' :rolleyes:

I suspect with footballers the clubs don’t actually tell the players what they doping them with. Too many Footballers are too stupid to be able to be trusted to keep doping secret forever more. 

37 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I suspect with footballers the clubs don’t actually tell the players what they doping them with. Too many Footballers are too stupid to be able to be trusted to keep doping secret forever more. 

4 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

That's actually a better argument :lol:

But really, even when we do know that the players were doping (ie Juve at the end of the 90's and thus the french football team of 98), people just don't care. Football is too big of a toy to be break up.

4 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

But really, even when we do know that the players were doping (ie Juve at the end of the 90's and thus the french football team of 98), people just don't care. Football is too big of a toy to be break up.

Neither of those are even on Wiki which shows how disinterested people are. 

I do feel through a big scandal in football will come this decade - not sure what Country through. 

8 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Neither of those are even on Wiki which shows how disinterested people are. 

I do feel through a big scandal in football will come this decade - not sure what Country through.