website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2022

Totallympics

and the 2 "new" Italians coming from Russia are competing for us also at the upcoming European Champs (set to start next Sunday in Budapest)...

this is the :ITA Italian team for the 2022 Euros...

Men's Freestyle

• Shamil Omarov (-61 kg)
  • Gianluca Talamo (-70 kg)
  • Frank Chamizo (-74 kg)
  • Simone Iannattoni (-92 kg)
  • Abraham Conyedo (-125 kg)

Women's Wrestling

• Emanuela Liuzzi (-50 kg)
  • Morena De Vita (-59 kg)
  • Aurora Campagna (-62 kg)
  • Eleni Pjollaj (-72 kg)
  • Enrica Rinaldi (-76 kg)

Greco-Roman

• Giovanni Freni (-55 kg)
  • Ruben Marvice (-63 kg)
  • Ciro Russo (-77 kg)
  • Matteo Maffezzoli (-82 kg)
  • Mirco Minguzzi (-87 kg)
  • Nikoloz Kakhelashvili (-97 kg)
  • Danila Sotnikov (-130 kg)

There was a scandal here, after World Champion and 4 time Euro Champion Bilyana Dudova wasn't selected for the team. For some reason she didn't want to be in her regular 59 kg category and wanted 62, which we know is Taybe Yusein's. So they had wrestle-offs and the coaches chose Yusein. Now, we don't have anyone in 59, Dudova is not going and people are mad, that we won't be using her... 

Women's Wrestling

• Miglena Selishka (-50 kg)
  • Irena Binkova (-53 kg)
  • Sezen Belberova (-55 kg)
  • Evelina Nikolova (-57 kg)
  • Taybe Yusein (-62 kg)
  • Sofia Georgieva (-65 kg)
  • Yuliana Yaneva (-72 kg)
  • Maria Oryashkova (-76 kg)

Mimi Hristova at 68 is also missing, as she is recovering after surgery. Honestly, with Russia, Belarus out and Ukraine being a mystery, we should win the women's team standings.

The men have been an afterthought for years, so won't waste time with them.

Men's Freestyle

• Mikai Naim (-57 kg)
  • Georgi Vangelov (-61 kg)
  • Vladimir Dubov (-65 kg)
  • Ramazan Ramazanov (-70 kg)
  • Ali Pasha Umarpashaev (-74 kg)
  • Miroslav Kirov (-79 kg)
  • Ahmed Magamaev (-86 kg)
  • Ahmed Bataev (-92 kg)

Greco-Roman

• Stefan Grigorov (-55 kg)
  • Edmond Nazaryan (-60 kg)
  • Ivo Iliev (-67 kg)
  • David Dimitrov (-72 kg)
  • Aik Mnatsakanian (-77 kg)
  • Rosian Dermanski (-82 kg)
  • Yoan Dimitrov (-87 kg)
  • Kiril Milov (-97 kg)

13 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Obviously her surname is Albanian but her first name is Greek. Do you know anything about her origins?

not that much...

I know she grew up in Italy (Aosta, extreme north west) and she always competed for Italy since the youth classes (she won a couple of bronze medals at cadet and junior level in the past few years)...

our media only mentioned her Albanian heritage, not saying anything about Greece...

p.s. she also used to play Sumo in the youth classes...

Team Slovakia for the European Championships has been announced and we have as mentioned another U23 naturalized South-Osetian in the roster Batyrbek Tsakulov in the FS -97kg.

The federation is really targeting that insane Paris 2024 target of 3-4 quotas and Wrestling medal.

Interesting fact is that nobody else than a certain David Musulbes is the new joint coach of our National Team (here the official roster including his name) https://slovenskezapasenie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/nominacia-na-ME-S-Budapest-oprava.pdf

:SVK Team Slovakia :SVK

Mens

Freestyle:

-57kg Martin Zidzik

-70kg Daniel Chomanič

-74kg Tajmuraz M. Salkazanov

-79kg Akhsarbek Gulaev

-86kg Boris Makoev

-97kg Batyrbek Tsakulov

-125kg Gabriel Tysz

Greco-Roman:

-72kg Leoš Drmola

-82kg Denis Horváth

1 hour ago, Bearas said:

Barely even 10 wrestlers in some of the  freestyle weights at Europeans...

and in many classes we have a vast majority of competitors born in the former Soviet Union...

I was looking at the men's -61kg in men's FS...13 starters, 11 of them have Soviet heritage (the Bulgarian Vangelov and the Turkish Atli -if he truly is from Turkey, with them you never know- should be the only non Russian-born participants)...:yikes:

and if the Russian/Belarussian ban goes on for quite some time, I fear we're gonna see tons of Russians establishing elsewhere ans stealing the next OQ spots for their "new" Countries...:facepalm:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

I was looking at the men's -61kg in men's FS...13 starters, 11 of them have Soviet heritage (the Bulgarian Vangelov and the Turkish Atli -if he truly is from Turkey, with them you never know- should be the only non Russian-born participants)...:yikes:

I think it's 9, I highly doubt Al Kanoussi (NED) and Alili (MKD) have Russian heritages, those names don't sound Russian at all :d and Atli is as Turk as Erdogan himself. :d

but half of quality wrestlers in this event are Russians (I'm not talking about former Soviet countries, but only the Russians) , for example in 97kg 4 out of top 5 names used to wrestle for Russia. two of them even wrestled at the World Senior Championship for Russia. while the king himself is not allowed to wrestle here :wall: 

This is the worst European Championships I ever witnessed for obvious reasons :thumbdown: (still looking forward to that Geno-Akgul match though) I believe the Greco competition will be a bit better. Russia is not that dominant in Greco.

but what's more interesting is to see Russian wrestlers representing other countries. in this time, specially those countries who pushed and screamed for Russian athletes (even 17 years old kids) to be banned from international competitions.

using Russian athletes (who mostly still train and live in Russia) and not letting the top athletes to participate even under a blank/neutral flag at the same time. disgusting :thumbdown: