website statistics

Sailing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

10 hours ago, Monzanator said:

So, what's the reason to remove Finn class from Olympics? Let me guess, they have to have mixed gender sailing class? :lol:

It’s likely that the lack of a women’s heavyweight dingy class was the nail in the coffin for Finn. Like @LDOG said above, the 470s will be combined into a single Mixed Event, and then M/W Kiteboarding will fill the remaining openings on the program.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

They will combine the 470s into one mixed event and also add two shitty kiteboard events. Awful.

Our Finn sailor now has no idea what to do with his career (and his sponsors, etc). I guess we'll see him try the 470 or the 49er with some partner.

3 hours ago, Adriano said:

470 will be seperate in Paris :)

I believe the 470 could be safe and women's RS:X is the one getting canned? I heard Zofia Klepacka saying she will probably switch to this kitesurfing thing in the fall already?

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

It’s likely that the lack of a women’s heavyweight dingy class was the nail in the coffin for Finn. Like @LDOG said above, the 470s will be combined into a single Mixed Event, and then M/W Kiteboarding will fill the remaining openings on the program.

I have no idea why this mixed gender craze would ruin the sailing classes like that. Hell, the mixed events are aimed to prove only one thing: that women can do just as great as the men and 470 proves that in spades without any additional nonsense already. Why on Earth would 470 be a mixed event then? That makes no sense at all.

I'm not even gonna say a word about kitesurfing. That idea totally blows. A lot of sailors who will be forced to switch to new event will be fuming IMO. Sailing hangs around the same top names a lot so it's not like some new talent will suddently swamp the new event. Another change for a change there. IOC is really losing the plot trying to make radical changes in literally every single sport out there.

Yeah I'm pretty confused about these new classes. Greece qualified 8 sailors for Tokyo and only one of them (Karachaliou in women's laser radial) will be able to make it to Paris without changes.

Finn is done so I guess our athlete there (Mitakis) is done after three Olympics. I don't think at his age he will change classes.

We had a men's 470 team and a women's 470 team, I guess we SHOULD qualify a mixed 470 team but stinks to only have two 470 athletes instead of four. I wonder if some our two 470 girls who won the quota but weren't selected will change to 49er or something.

And our two RS:X athletes both said they will try to switch to foil, but it's pretty difficult especially for Kokkalanis who is already 35 and turning 36 in two weeks...

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I believe the 470 could be safe and women's RS:X is the one getting canned? I heard Zofia Klepacka saying she will probably switch to this kitesurfing thing in the fall already?

The class for windsurfing has changed from RS:X to IQFOIL, so that might be why she switched.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

So will the overall athletes quota actually go down for sailing? And that is IOC's point? Mixed events mean fewer sailors out there opening room for quotas in other sports like the totally infamous break-dancing crap that is upon us in Paris? :mumble:

Yes, Sailing losses 20 quotas for Paris 2024. They also lost quotas from Rio 2016 to Tokyo 2020. Plus, the federation almost (or maybe even did) went bankrupt last year. A lot of question marks about the sports future at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, Sailing losses 20 quotas for Paris 2024. They also lost quotas from Rio 2016 to Tokyo 2020. Plus, the federation almost (or maybe even did) went bankrupt last year. A lot of question marks about the sports future at the moment.

Yeah, that makes sense on second thought. Sailing as an old school art will get no free pass from the TikTok dancing generation and guess IOC doesn't even try to pretend it can be sold as a sport with future. All this on a planet whose surface is covered by water in 71% :lol:

:POL takes the silver medal on the last leg. They managed to put :GBR between themselves and :FRA.

:GBR goes home with the gold.