website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Medal Count

Canada's 10 medals have come in 7 different sports so far (curling, figure skating, short track, speed skating, luge, freestyle and snowboarding) with good chances to come in hockey, bobsleigh, skeleton and x-country.  The record is 10 different sports, set by Canada twice and the USA once. 

Edited by orangeman

8 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

19 nations with medals so far, will the record of 26 from the last three Games be broken?

Nations that won medals in 2014, but still have to win one here: :BLR:CRO:GBR:LAT:POL:SLO:UKR

Other nations that might win a medal: :HUN:LIE:NZL:ESP

Any other nation?

Bulgaria has chances in Snowboarding and slim ones in Biathlon (Men's Individual). Denmark has chances in Curling and a slim one in Speed Skating (Mass Start, as well as Estonia). Very long stretches... Belgium, Lithuania and Brazil.

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 minute ago, Quasit said:

Bulgaria has chances in Snowboarding and slim ones in Biathlon (Men's Individual). Denmark has chances in Curling and a slim one in Speed Skating (Mass Start, as well as Estonia). Very long stretches... Belgium, Lithuania and Brazil.

If Brazil wins a medal, I will run naked in the streets :p

vor 1 Stunde schrieb orangeman:

Canada's 10 medals have come in 7 different sports so far (curling, figure skating, short track, speed skating, luge, freestyle and snowboarding) with good chances to come in hockey, bobsleigh, skeleton and x-country.  The record is 10 different sports, set by Canada twice and the USA once. 

I think you will get to 10, but maybe Germany can do it too:

Biathlon, luge, ski jumping are already secure + nordic combined, bob should be pretty safe too.

The other 5 would be alpine skiing (Rebensburg), skeleton (Lölling or Hermann), figure skating (Savchenko/Massot) + 2 out of speed skating (Pechstein, women's team pursuit), snowboarding (men's snowboard cross, women's PGS), freestyle skiing (men's ski cross) or maybe even short track (Anna Seidel). Of course the absence of Zimmermann and Zacher clearly hurt the german medal chances in freestyle skiing, otherwise i would have been really optimistic.

The US might also do it:

Snowboarding, luge, ice hockey, freestyle skiing, figure skating, bobsleigh, alpine skiing + 3 out of biathlon, cross-country skiing (women's relay/team sprint), short track, skeleton (on the women's side) or speed skating. I would say they will end up with 9, but let's see.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Quasit said:

Although to be fair, Brazil's chances are in absolutely no way even remotely comparable to Belgium's chances :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

If Brazil wins a WOG medal before us it would be a huge embarassment... Colombia would be x3 more embarassing. Chile or Mexico I would be fine with.

But the truth is Winter olympics will likely be scrapped before any of them get the chance :p

vor 2 Minuten schrieb LDOG:

If Brazil wins a WOG medal before us it would be a huge embarassment... Colombia would be x3 more embarassing. Chile or Mexico I would be fine with.

But the truth is Winter olympics will likely be scrapped before any of them get the chance :p

Von Appen barely lost time against Dreßen in the downhill of the alpine combined tonight, so he might be a dark horse for the downhill on Thursday. The only mexican winter sport athlete i ever heard of is "Hubertus von Hohenlohe", but i doubt he will medal. Given Mexico's strong tradition in diving, i think they might do really well in aerials/moguls/big air/halfpipe if they would have any snow ...

For Colombia to win a medal at winter olympics, they would probably have to introduce some sort of weightlifting or BMX on ice. At least the second one doesn't seem impossible given IOC's more recent decisions.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 1 minuto, OlympicsFan said:

Von Appen barely lost time against Dreßen in the downhill of the alpine combined tonight, so he might be a dark horse for the downhill on Thursday. The only mexican winter sport athlete i ever heard of is "Hubertus von Hohenlohe", but i doubt he will medal. Given Mexico's strong tradition in diving, i think they might do really well in aerials/moguls/big air/halfpipe if they would have any snow ...

For Colombia to win a medal at winter olympics, they would probably have to introduce some sort of weightlifting or BMX on ice. At least the second one doesn't seem impossible given IOC's more recent decisions.

Colombia's hypothetical chance in the future is obviously speed skating, since they are extremely good in Roller/Inline Speed Skeeting. They should focus all their resources in that.