website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Without lawyers we'd live in a world where nobody would get their fair process. "Sure, killers can go to jail, I don't care." Until you're the one accused of something you know you did not do.

A few weeks ago a lawyer was shot and killed on the street here, which crossed an entirely new line that had not yet been crossed here. It is a very, very dangerous one.

I believe Netherlands have crossed the line ever since the Pim Fortuyn murder. Anything after that simply moves you further away from that line, not across it. Generally it's a bad look for a country so attached to its liberal stance. You're no better than some of these conservative countries you so happily throw under the bus :dunno:

I've gone above & beyond to believe in the "fair trial" nonsense. If you have enough money you can get away with anything. Just look at Harvey Weinstein after all of these accusations. An average Joe would never be allowed to walk on bail in similiar circumstances. Oh, and let's pretend OJ Simpson didn't kill his wife either :crazy: I'm sick and tired of this Perry Mason mentality that only works on TV.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I believe Netherlands have crossed the line ever since the Pim Fortuyn murder. Anything after that simply moves you further away from that line, not across it. Generally it's a bad look for a country so attached to its liberal stance. You're no better than some of these conservative countries you so happily throw under the bus :dunno:

I've gone above & beyond to believe in the "fair trial" nonsense. If you have enough money you can get away with anything. Just look at Harvey Weinstein after all of these accusations. An average Joe would never be allowed to walk on bail in similiar circumstances. Oh, and let's pretend OJ Simpson didn't kill his wife either :crazy: I'm sick and tired of this Perry Mason mentality that only works on TV.

At least I can live a otherwise happy life in a liberal countries. I can be surrounded by people of all different nationalities, races, etc. There’s a lot wrong with the US, and a lot of it has to do with failed conservative polices. We have saying “Conservatives vote with fear, Liberals vote with hope”. I’d prefer to live in a country where religion doesn’t control the government (like in most conservative countries), or in a place where actual logic exists.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I believe Netherlands have crossed the line ever since the Pim Fortuyn murder. Anything after that simply moves you further away from that line, not across it. 

Those are different lines though. And both suck. Just as badly as journalists being attacked.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

At least I can live a otherwise happy life in a liberal countries. I can be surrounded by people of all different nationalities, races, etc. There’s a lot wrong with the US, and a lot of it has to do with failed conservative polices. We have saying “Conservatives vote with fear, Liberals vote with hope”. I’d prefer to live in a country where religion doesn’t control the government (like in most conservative countries), or in a place where actual logic exists.

I live in a conservative country and I'm pretty happy about it. I don't attend Church at all but I don't really support liberal values too much. Selling hope buys you time, a lot of time. Immediate results are not in demand. You can skate through this way of life but then you realize you've gotten old and there is no hope anymore. I'm sure you think Poland is a country where religion controls government and all that crap but guess what, I don't care about abortion & same-sex marriage whatsoever. I'm against it but I'm not gonna flock the streets to protest it. It's a waste of my time. If our government passes the bills one day, I'll accept it and move on. It's not gonna change my life whatsoever. If you want some real religion control please check at some of these Islamic countries however most liberals preach how Islam is really the way to go and should be accepted. It won't be accepted in Poland and we'll stick to our way regardless of what the progressive minds of the world preach. Then again, if it works for the Middle East or whatever so be it. I'm not gonna call for any changes in those countries since it's none of my business. People like you seem to always know better what other nations should do, I'm for the old school isolationism which America used to be pretty proud of before.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Those are different lines though. And both suck. Just as badly as journalists being attacked.

The pen is mightier than the sword. I will NEVER believe in journalists posing as victims of whatever political / social propaganda there is. They play the game so they can't complain about the rules, period.

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

If you want some real religion control please check at

- tax-free Church

- religion at school financed by the public money

- prosecutors not investigating bishops covering pedophilian priests and pedophilian priests themselves

- bishops threating with excommunication to the MPs voting the way they don't like

Edited by Vojthas

Just now, Vojthas said:

- tax-free Church

- religion at school financed by the public money

- prosecutors not investigating bishops covering pedophilian priests and pedophilian priests themselves

It's a give & take product of the Church opression during the communism rule. This won't change until the next couple of generations when people in charge of this country won't be influenced by the Solidarity martyrdom anymore. Hell, former PZPR members just got voted into the European Parliament, they're still very much alive & kicking. This entire political group needs to go away because the current liberals are too scared to trigger an open war with the Church. Which is no surprise because they come from the same side of the pre-1989 fence :lol:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

The pen is mightier than the sword. I will NEVER believe in journalists posing as victims of whatever political / social propaganda there is. They play the game so they can't complain about the rules, period.

We know the game we play, we just wish the rules were enforced ;)

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with journalists asking for the truth, no matter the costs. True journalists just want what’s best for people (and yes, we have slants because we too are human)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

We know the game we play, we just wish the rules were enforced ;)

They (the journalists, people who do it for a living) might know the game they play, they don't always stick to the rules themselves though. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

They (the journalists, people who do it for a living) might know the game they play, they don't always stick to the rules themselves though. 

The problem with journalism is how people are paid. I’m believe the best journalism is done without much personal pay, but with money available for research, travel costs, etc. 

I do require much to be able to live happily, the problem lies with people masquerading themselves as journalists, when they’re really entertainers, political agents, or others.