website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t like to say this, but I think Trump has a point. Social media sites should be held accountable for helping to spread hate speech. Of course a consequence would be that many of Trump‘s tweets would have to be deleted.

U.S. conservatives complain that social media companies unfairly “censor” their opinions. However, a lot of the people complaining post some crazy shit all the time, so it seems fair for these companies to censor it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 29/05/2020 at 18:03, Monzanator said:

Israel and Russia would probably disagree with you though. I'm pretty sure these two countries are happy that you elected Trump over Clinton :p

China too ...

North Korea?

Iran?

Afghanistan?

UK?

Probably a long list ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 29/05/2020 at 18:13, Monzanator said:

Well, Israel is your safest base in the Middle East. They serve a huge purpose regardless of who's in the White House. As for Russia, well, Trump is a businessman, not a politician. He always does business before doing politics. He fights the economical war with China, not with Russia. China broke away from the Soviet leash in the mid-60s. Historically USA hasn't made the most of that split due to old sins from the Korean War and the Vietnam fiasco.

Still he doesn’t seem fine with Nord Stream 2?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 29/05/2020 at 18:20, Monzanator said:

But that's the whole point! Appeasing Israel serves a greater purpose. Netanyahu should have been kicked out long time ago but USA has to have a solid base in the Middle East. If not Israel then where? You lost Iran in 1979, you had Iraq & Afghanistan burn down in flames during the War on Terror, Turkey is run by another hard-nosed guy and of course there's Saudi Arabia which nobody calls a democracy? There's a civil war in Yemen and UAE and Qatar are doing mighty fine without serving as US puppets. That's a big stakes geopolitics which is played out over decades and more important than current issues whether Israel supported Trump over Clinton.

I don’t see Israel splitting from the US, even if the US would openly criticize them. I also think the US has a pretty good relation with Jordan?

On 29/05/2020 at 18:22, Monzanator said:

Guess who first used the 'G' word? Our lovely friend from USA ;)  I suppose you guys in the Netherlands still remember Arthur Seyss-Inquart just as we in Poland remember Hans Frank? :wacko:

Didn’t realize you were that old ... :yikes:

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t see Israel splitting from the US, even if the US would openly criticize them. I also think the US has a pretty good relation with Jordan?

Yes, we do. We seem to have an okay relationship with Lebanon as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Well, China can pour money into WHO now and WHO becomes a Chinese puppet like Trump preached it was already :lol:

Just saw on the news that Germany apparently is the 2nd biggest „donator“ with more than 200 million while China spends less than 100 million. This really surprised me, based on their influence I thought that China was spending much more (than Germany). Now I wonder how they got a criminal like Tedros elected?

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

My town is not immune to the protests either. Our local police shot and killed a man about 2 miles from house a few hours ago. Right now, the details of incident are really murky. Police claim he had a gun, some people claim he was blind, and no one seems to know what race he was. Nonetheless people arrived at the scene to protest. It sounds like it’s remained largely peaceful, but I can still here the police helicopter flying overhead.

You make it sound as if „being blind“ and „having a gun“ are mutually exclusive? :mumble:

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

In my memory Persian called China "Qin" or sound like "Chin", it's the name of a of very remote ancient dynasty of China around 2000 years ago. Oldest name of all languages I guess.

yes that's correct, that should be "Chin" :p because we pronounce "Q" like "K",

I thought that's French, didn't know it may have another background.