website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

:CAN Sarah Pavan (beach volleyball)

World Champion in 2019 (although I wasn’t a fan of this sport back then, as I only started watching in 2021 or so, I have watched the match back on YouTube and they played unbelievably well) and former World #1 alongside Humana-Parades (they were also the #1 team at Tokyo 2020), Former World #3 alongside Bansley, Two time Olympian in Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020 (Bansley/Humana-Parades, both quarterfinal finishes), Back-to-back Commonwealth Games champions in Gold Coast 2018/Birmingham 2022 and a winner of numerous World Tour and Pro Tour medals

https://www.instagram.com/reel/DBY_SLSPdQ4/?igsh=MTZwZTU3ajhiOHRneQ==

On 10/19/2024 at 11:19 AM, Grassmarket said:

Pretty impressive retirement credentials for :GBR track cyclist Dan Bigham - he goes off to become head of engineering at Red Bull-Bora! :yikes:  So not just your usual punch-drunk ex-sportsman. 

Wasn't that already his job at INEOS before becoming more known as a cyclist himself? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Wasn't that already his job at INEOS before becoming more known as a cyclist himself? :p 

It was something of the kind.  Rather like Kristian Bromley who went from studying ice sliding theoretically as a PhD student to being skeleton World Champion. 

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Technically he became known as the 'brains' behind a small independent trade team that was outperforming national teams, before then working with the Danish TP in Tokyo.

It was after all that happened that INEOS/GB finally came calling. I think they never fully appreciated his talents until it was almost too late.