website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

:ITA Caterina Banchelli (women's waterpolo) retires at only 24 years of age because of study/job ambitions :yikes: :facepalm:

https://www.oasport.it/2024/09/pallanuoto-femminile-caterina-banchelli-annuncia-il-ritiro-agonistico-a-soli-24-anni/

What's so :facepalm: about wanting to make sure you can still have a life after your sports career (other than the default 'I was a good athlete so I will be a good coach' train of thought)? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What's so :facepalm: about wanting to make sure you can still have a life after your sports career (other than the default 'I was a good athlete so I will be a good coach' train of thought)? :d 

the fact that she has to retire so early to reach her goals outside waterpolo at the highest possible level makes me disappointed

nothing against her choice (actually, full respect...I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision), but if a star of the game can't find economical safety and professional motivation to have a long career, that's sad, imho

5 hours ago, phelps said:

the fact that she has to retire so early to reach her goals outside waterpolo at the highest possible level makes me disappointed

nothing against her choice (actually, full respect...I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision), but if a star of the game can't find economical safety and professional motivation to have a long career, that's sad, imho

It saddens me that Federnuoto cares so little about women's water polo. We are clearly lagging behind, not only the men's team, but also other countries that used to be much weaker than us: Spain, Greece. I don't understand where is the problem? Federnuoto cares about the development of all the disciplines under its aegis, except for women's water polo, which is folding year after year.

Edited by copravolley

On 9/1/2024 at 9:25 AM, Makedonas said:

:GRE Nikoleta Eleftheriadou (water polo, 26 yo)

:GRE Chrysoula Diamantopoulou (water polo, 28 yo)

A bit surprised by these as both just made their Olympic debuts. Eleftheriadou is in a long-term relationship with a famous basketball player (Vezenkov), so she probably is planning to start a family with him and is set financially. However, he just left the NBA to move back to Greece so I thought that was partially to be with her more, but now if she's retired from water polo it really doesn't matter.

Diamantopoulou I guess isn't a huge loss because she split being the main goalkeeper with Stamatopoulou, so now I'm sure Stamatopoulou will be the main goalkeeper.

I also thought this would give :GRE Eleni Sotireli (26 yo) a solid spot in the team, as she is our third-best goalkeeper, but now she also announced her retirement! :yikes:

:GRE Nikoleta Kyriakopoulou (pole vault, 38 yo)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_Z4beYMIKX/

Not at all a surprise, especially since she did not qualify for Paris which is where she likely wanted to end her career. Still, she went to 4 Olympics (best result being 8th in Tokyo), won bronze at the 2015 World Championships, also two medals at the European Championships plus another at the European Indoor Championships :yes

Had a baby in 2017, and then had probably the most memorable moment of her career in 2018, at the European Championships where she got silver behind Stefanidi in a historic Greek 1-2, while there were devastating wildfires in Greece and it became a big story how well we did at the European Athletics Championships during those dark days...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Maggie MacNeil :CAN

She was an Olympic, World (LC and SC) Pan American Games and Commonwealth Games Champion. Highly decorated career. 

She had already announced that she was retiring post Paris, prior to the Olympics (if you go back a page or two I believe it has already been reported about?)

1 hour ago, Josh said:

She had already announced that she was retiring post Paris, prior to the Olympics (if you go back a page or two I believe it has already been reported about?)

She said she wouldn't go for another quad