website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That looks so basic.

To be fair, not everyone can be a Konigsee, Whistler, or Lake Placid. There is only so much you can realistically do. Also having a track where the driving isn’t super difficult may be to China’s advantage. To me, the bottom half looks like it could be interesting. We won’t really know until we see the 2021 World Cup visits though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Construction has definitely started, I just couldn’t find any pictures of that yet.

That's just insane. Obviously it's not a free medal, but sliding medals are by far the easiest to get close to when coming from nowhere...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

To be fair, not everyone can be a Konigsee, Whistler, or Lake Placid. There is only so much you can realistically do. Also having a track where the driving isn’t super difficult may be to China’s advantage. To me, the bottom half looks like it could be interesting. We won’t really know until we see the 2021 World Cup visits though.

No, but a bit more inspiration than 10 times the exact same corner followed by a basic Kreisel shouldn't be too much to ask.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

No, but a bit more inspiration than 10 times the exact same corner followed by a basic Kreisel shouldn't be too much to ask.

You never know though. Pyeongchang didn’t look hard on paper. I do agree it would be nice to see some more variation though. Hear me out, two words: Double Kreisel. Also, long flat turn.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

no technical turns, not much speed to carry on, that long flat final turn with a long finishing straight (that looks also slightly uphill)...

I fear it won't be favourable to our lugers at all...

our only chance might be a very, very cold temperature...otherwise it looks the classic German sweep track (Nagano rules)...

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

You never know though. Pyeongchang didn’t look hard on paper. I do agree it would be nice to see some more variation though. Hear me out, two words: Double Kreisel. Also, long flat turn.

Pyeongchang isn't that hard, but has 2 very tricky turns that helped building quite a few dramatic races (in cooperation with the unreliable weather conditions)...

this one doesn't have any tricky passage (at least, looking at that picture...maybe the actual track has it)...it's more a new "Sochi" (likely the worst/most boring luge competitions ever), rather than a new "Pyeongchang"...

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

Pyeongchang isn't that hard, but has 2 very tricky turns that helped building quite a few dramatic races (in cooperation with the unreliable weather conditions)...

this one doesn't have any tricky passage (at least, looking at that picture...maybe the actual track has it)...it's more a new "Sochi" (likely the worst/most boring luge competitions ever), rather than a new "Pyeongchang"...

Pyeongchang had three sections that were key: exit turn 2, turn 9 chicane, uphill stretch before final turn. I also saw people have problems quite often between turns 4/5. I loved the Pyeongchang track. Pyeongchang, Konigsee, and Whistler are my favorite tracks. The worst tracks are Innsbruck, Altenberg, Calgary, Winterberg, and Sochi.

I think the area before the kreisel may be tricky, but it’s really hard to judge before seeing anyone run the track. I do fear Xiaohaituo will be an easy track based off the concept drawings, but I’m holding out hope for a fun challenge like Pyeongchang.

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

What do you want? This will be the first Olympic track with Kreisel since 1988!

Kreisel’s are notoriously tricky, so if the entry if tough, that could be fun. It’s nice to see a kreisel again, but it’s not my favorite type of turn. I like the flat chicanes that feature at Konigsee, Pyeongchang, and Lake Placid. I like when drivers have to thread a thinner needle.

Edited by Olympian1010

Plus Königssee has the Turbodrom, the best named turn in the sliding world so there's points for that :d