website statistics

Taekwondo at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, Adriano said:

Taekwondo deserve for 1-2 estra category. Great diversity, chance for many nation like Niger, Macedonia, Ivory Coast...  Less places for boxing or weightlifting, and we can add places in taekwondo. 

China dominates weightlifting and former Soviet Union dominates boxing. They will never have these events cut down, hell, boxing has already changed to suit the pro boxing by getting rid of helmets & allowing pro boxers to take part. That was a smart move which extended boxing's stay in the Olympics.

But yes, taekwondo is a diversity success much better than any of the other new sports IOC has introduced lately.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

While I do agree that taekwondo is one of the more diverse sports, they also increase it by making it very hard for more than 2 athletes per gender to qualify.

It’s not really all that different than say Badminton qualification though. An NOC can qualify athletes in more than two weight class, they just have to be in the top 5/6. I’m not saying I do or don’t like the rule; I’m just trying to point out parallels in other Olympic sports.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Taekwondo never fails to excite. The sport put on a great Olympic tournament once more. Definitely a highlight of the Games for me.

I too would like to see an increase in weight classes athletes. Unfortunately, that’s unlikely to happen with how tight quotas are at the moment. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Looks like Bianca Walkden and her friends believe the ref cost her a place in the final.

???

says Walkden, this too funny, I mean no one benefited more from Strange ref decisions than her 

karma is a bitch