website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 News Road to Milano-Cortina 2026

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

The men's hockey final is always in the afternoon as it's the last day of the event.

in Italy 1 p.m. is NOT afternoon yet...

it's lunch time (and here, Sunday's "lunch" is actually a ritual like a wedding reception for most families)

afternoon means 3 or 4 p.m. (which would be a reasonable start time), not earlier

p.s. personally, I'd rather have the men's Hockey final on Saturday at 9 p.m. (and I'd get rid of the playoff round...I don't like that all 12 teams advance to the knockout stage...top 2 in each group + the best 2 3rd ranked advancing straight to the quarterfinals would be a lot better, but that's another story)

5 hours ago, phelps said:

this schedule has been compile all but by Italian people

it looks the German and Scandinavian TV networks did it :facepalm:

our prime time is after 9 p.m. and except for some hockey matches, there's nothing set at that time

nothing of our most popular disciplines has been scheduled in favourable times for the Italian audience

the men's hockey final at 1 p.m.? hope that all the tickets are sold abroad, because that's the ugliest time of the day for any sport event in Milan :pope:

2 short track sessions early in the morning mid-week? :yikes::hairpull:

no alpine skiing/snowboard at night?

curling evening session at 7 p.m. (GMG of the mixed event at 6 p.m.)??? c'mon, man!

speedskating in the middle of the afternoon on working days? good luck! (hopefully the ice rink will still be filled by Dutch fans)

and as always, a lot of empty slots and quite a few big events running at the same time :redcard: :stop:

In Turin it was probably similar. The races with Fabris were on Monday around 4pm. It was still light outside the window.

For today, these are the biggest events with the participation of Italians: Goggia in the downhill, Brignone and Bassino - giant slalom, Ghiotto in speed skating, short track with Sighel and maybe Fontana + Vitozzi in biathlon.

Edited by copravolley

Probably my second favorite of the WOG broadcast logos behind Pyeongchang 2018. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

33 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Vancouver 2010 also was very good, especially music.

Very nostalgic for me as I grew up watching the replays on YouTube.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Schedule

I found this link through Wikipedia so I'm not sure how accurate it is or if it's legit. It didn't show up on the official site or through google search for me. If this is actually the schedule, then it was approved already on March 13.

Some things I noticed about the schedule:

Alpine Skiing

• While the last two Olympics mixed the speed and slalom throughout the schedule, these Olympics will go back to featuring the speed events + combined in the first week and the slalom events in the 2nd week

Biathlon

• All events happen in the late morning/early afternoon. Now that the Olympics are back in Europe as opposed to East Asia, there is no need to schedule the biathlon events late at night to accommodate European Primetime

Curling

• Like the previous two Olympics, there's curling every day but the mixed doubles morning session starts at 10:00 instead of 9:00

Figure Skating

• The order of events in the team competition looks like it's been reversed (so women's short program is first and the men's is last). For the individual events, ice dance comes first followed by the men, pairs, and then women. Notably the ice dance and men's short programs are on back to back days.

Freestyle Skiing/Snowboarding

• All of the big air and halfpipe finals are at night to accommodate US primetime. Slopestyle finals however are still in the afternoon.
  • On the contrary, moguls and aerials events will take place during the morning/early afternoon. They were at night at least for the last 4 Olympics.
  • The snowboarding big air events are the first events to occur and the men's qualification falls before the Opening Ceremony on Day -1. First time it's taken place before slopestyle. Slopestyle events have been moved to Days 11 and 12.
  • On the contrary, for freestyle skiing, the slopestyle events now proceed the big air events. The slopestyle events are on Days 3 and 4 while the big air events are on Days 11 and 12. They basically swapped places from the 2022 schedule.
  • Moguls events are now during the middle of the first week as opposed to the first weekend when it would usually take place. The dual moguls events will make its debut during the second weekend
  • Mixed Team Aerials is now at the very end of the freestyle skiing program on Day 15. The individual aerials events are now in the middle of the 2nd week as opposed to the 2nd weekend/beginning of the 2nd week.

Ice Hockey

• Some of the days have staggered start times as opposed to multiple games starting at the same time
  • Women's Gold medal game scheduled at night once again

Luge

• Both the men's and women's doubles are on the same day

Short Track

• The order of events looks the same but there are a couple of sessions that take place in the morning. In the last two Olympics, the sessions were all at night.

Skeleton

• Mixed team event takes place after both individual events

Ski Jumping

• Women's Large Hill will make it's debut during the 2nd Saturday of the Games.

Ski Mountaineering

• First time this has been held at the Olympics. Both men's/women's sprints are on Day 13 (February 19) and the mixed relay is on Day 15 (February 21)

Speed Skating

• The 1000m and 1500m events have swapped places in the schedule with the 1000m events taking place on Days 3 and 5 while the 1500m events take place on Days 13 and 14

Thanks for this. Between Olympics in the daytime here and the Super Bowl at 630pm, I should be on the couch for about 17 hours on February 8

12 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Probably so that Chinese and Korean viewers can watch at a friendly time, although it's weird that two sessions are in the morning and four at night

It's probably because short track and figure skating are sharing a venue, and on those days figure skating is happening at night. There just aren't enough days were figure skating isn't taking place to accommodate the whole short track programme at night.