website statistics

Boxing 2021 Discussion Thread

phelps

14 hours ago, Monzanator said:

:UKR Oleksandr Usyk beats :GBR Anthony Joshua on points (117:112, 116:112, 115:113) and becomes new WBO, IBF & WBA heavyweight world champion. Really impressive and well deserved victory.

A complete domination by Usyk :bowdown: I thought he had a chance to win, but not so decisively. Third man, after Evander Holyfield and David Haye to win the  Cruiserweight and Heavyweight titles. Could we have another Ukrainian dynasty. :d The guy has done it all. 

Yeah, I was fearing a decision shade in favor of Joshua but thankfully it didn't happen. Terrible gameplan from him, he was never going to outbox Usyk, maybe they thought Usyk will run out of gas and be an easy target in the latter rounds but it was Usyk was won the last three in convincing fashion. 8:4 in rounds was the fair split. AJ won rounds 5-6, 8-9 and even if you gave him the 4th it was never good enough.

14 hours ago, Monzanator said:

@phelps I kinda know Italians still didn't forget about that OG final where Cammarelle should have won? :p

yeah, but that's not the only reason...

I've never liked Joshua as a fighter, even before London 2012 and I think he's way overestimated and he achieved all of his success (amateur & pro) only because of the rich and powerful organization behind him and not because he's a big talent nor an example of will and determination...

on the other hand, I've always been a fan of those Ukranian fighters who had well deserved success first among the amateurs and then among the pros (Lomachenko, Dereviyanchenko, the Klitschko's and many more, now Usyk)...

The idea that the judging at Olympic boxing is rigged will come as no surprise to anyone, but it would be a major shock if anyone on the IOC were willing to do very much about it. Especially to the extent of re-awarding medals....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-10042649/Joe-Joyce-Olympic-gold-fix-probe-loss-Tony-Yoka-Rio-2016.html

12 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

The idea that the judging at Olympic boxing is rigged will come as no surprise to anyone, but it would be a major shock if anyone on the IOC were willing to do very much about it. Especially to the extent of re-awarding medals....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-10042649/Joe-Joyce-Olympic-gold-fix-probe-loss-Tony-Yoka-Rio-2016.html

I imagine they would need actual proof - such as people being prosecuted for it. And even then I could see them promoting people but not stripping anyone unless they could prove the boxer themselves was involved in the fixing.  Dual champions anyone ?

More details on the story from yesterday. Long way to go before redicisions are made, if ever.

Investigators fear eleven boxing bouts at the Rio Olympic Games were fixed by officials, including GB boxer Joe Joyce's controversial defeat against France's Tony Yoka in a gold medal fight.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10045585/Investigators-fear-11-boxing-matches-fixed-Rio-2016.html

23 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

If they didn’t award a gold to Roy Jones Jr., the victim of perhaps the most egregious robbery in the history of the Olympics, then I wouldn’t hold my breath.

if they think the superheavyweights final and Conlan's bout were fixed, I'd like to know what they think of all the Tishchenko's fights, especially those in the first round against Clemente Russo and the gold medal match against Levit? (which most likely is the third or fourth worst robbery in the history of Olympic boxing)...:rolleyes: