website statistics

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Incredible 48.56 AR from Christine Mboma :NAM in the Bydgoszcz 400m.  

"Probably just terribly wrong timing" doesn't really work there, maybe people will start believing it now :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 27/06/2021 at 14:52, Grassmarket said:

Well, unlike their neighbours :AZE, who take a less pedantic approach to national origins.

And now Alvertsian got a universality place in the women's 100m. She is a long/triple jumper and never ran 100m in her long career (her World Athletics profile has results from 2011). Her first (and only) 100m ever was actually last Saturday in the Balkan Championships :lol:

https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes/greece/kristina-alvertsian-14459789

On 27/06/2021 at 14:39, Makedonas said:

Looks like Armenia is really trying to build their team and get their diaspora athletes to compete for them. I've noticed that :USA Allison Halverson (heptathlon) and :GRE Kristina Alvertsian (triple jump) both now compete for Armenia. Halverson has posts about being Armenian on her instagram, so I guess her mother is Armenian? And Alvertsian obviously has an Armenian surname.

There might be others too, but these are the only two that I saw so far.

Here's another one: https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes/armenia/alexander-donigian-14423245

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

"Probably just terribly wrong timing" doesn't really work there, maybe people will start believing it now :d 

more something like "let's get quick with her gender examination"...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's a new case of the Semenya & co. saga...:coffee:

for sure, there's nothing to trust when you see something like that...

I forgot to update that Mykolas Alekna :LTU threw the second furthest distance of all time in the 1.75kg Discus Throw at 69.77.

It was only 36 centimetres shorter than the World Youth record by Mykyta Nesterenko :UKR in 2008.

Mykolas Alekna is scheduled to take part in both the U20 championships being held this year. 

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Seemingly she is not eligible for the 400m at the Olympics, but is for the 200m - which tells its own story.

55 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Seemingly she is not eligible for the 400m at the Olympics, but is for the 200m - which tells its own story.

Where has that been reported?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Thread (controversial, of course :p):