website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

One of the best performances we've ever had from an Irish team in an Olympic final, followed an hour later by one of the worst. Based on their three goes at the medal race across the last two days the only thing I can say, from my admittedly limited sailing knowledge, is that I have absolutely no idea how those two got into a medal position to begin with. Desperately poor again there.

Posted (edited)

The fact they then got passed by Uruguay and Poland and were way behind everyone at the end, baffling really. Ireland at the Olympics is just the most frustrating thing. We have/had 4 outside medal chances today with sailing and the women’s lightweight double and men’s pair and team jumping later and looking like we will come with nothing in those. The rowers were outside chances but the sailing medal was more than an outside chance given we started ahead of others. So really you would expect one of those 4 to garner a medal. That’s Ireland in the Olympics in a nutshell. Takes about 6 medal chances to get a medal.

Anyway, rant over now, don’t like being so critical but hope you understand my emotions and just need to get it out of my system.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Look at the replay of the start lads. For me the Brits and the Americans are also over the line early. No idea how they don't restart a race where four boats are called back and for me it looks like at least 2 more are also over the line early.

They slipped back because they took risks on the second and third leg which they didn't actually need to take. If they had just followed the Poles on the third leg, they would have medalled but they tacked early and try to go up the right hand side and it didnt work. Don't discredit their performance based on the medal race. They have been great all week and deserved a medal.

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

The fact they then got passed by Uruguay and Poland and were way behind everyone at the end, baffling really. Ireland at the Olympics is just the most frustrating thing. We have/had 4 outside medal chances today with sailing and the women’s lightweight double and men’s pair and team jumping later and looking like we will come with nothing in those. The rowers were outside chances but the sailing medal was more than an outside chance given we started ahead of others. So really you would expect one of those 4 to garner a medal. That’s Ireland in the Olympics in a nutshell. Takes about 6 medal chances to get a medal.

Anyway, rant over now, don’t like being so critical but hope you understand my emotions and just need to get it out of my system.

Even finishing 7th would have got them a medal. I am so frustrated at that. Show jumpers will now knock everything in sight and Rhys’s will fall again. From Monday on medal chances are few and far between. We need both Wiffen and Rhys to both medal to break a new medal record.

They didn't really deserve it though. They messed the start and then started taking risks they didn't need to take, when a clean, sensible middle of the field race would have been fine. We'll get nowhere as a country making excuses for poor performance on the big day.

On that note, I watched an interview with Jon Rudd, where he was talking about the high performance goals in Irish swimming. Before the games I thought it was an unnecessary burden to require our swimmers to swim their qualifying times at big events, when other sports and other swim teams would accept the times at any event. But he changed my mind on it by pointing out that it got competitors into the mindset of performing on the big day. Shane Ryan didn't get the 50 free time on the big day so wasn't allowed to compete in the event at the games. Fannon did and therefore was, and he swam two PBs in the Olympics. That's the difference.

This is the exception in Irish sport though, there's been far too much "happy to be there" stuff again this week. We should be happy to win, or if that's impossible at least be happy that we performed to our best when it mattered. We often don't though, and that's why I was amazed at all the journos buying into the 9,10,11 medals stuff ahead of the games. That was never on, my prediction was six, right now I'd say we might get to seven, but we are absolutely leaving medals behind us again unnecessarily this year.

That sailing is very frustrating. As I predicted the DSQ from thr Spanish objection on day 2 has ultimately cost them a medal, even if it was still in their own hands today. All they really had to do was follow the Americans and be within 3 places of them. They have a history of being over the start line previously which cost them a lot in the past and they seemed to have cut that out from their racing this regatta, until today.

I think after he retires from rowing they'd do well to bring Paul O'Donovan as chef d'equipe for our Olympic teams as his mentality seems second to none.

Hopefully the showjumpers can do something today but I'm more hopeful than expectant. Could go any way for McClenaghan and then Moorehouse got absolutely robbed last night. So only other medal I'm actually expecting now is Wiffen in 1500 free. Like I said before, we don't often get the surprise medals, which invariably go to the bigger nations, even McSharry getting a medal I was shocked and delighted with.

7 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Bad start for the showjumpers anyway. Flashbacks to Liam Jegou there.

Still in the mix but frustrating to knock the last fence. Is it 2 rounds each or just one?

24 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

They didn't really deserve it though. They messed the start and then started taking risks they didn't need to take, when a clean, sensible middle of the field race would have been fine. We'll get nowhere as a country making excuses for poor performance on the big day.

On that note, I watched an interview with Jon Rudd, where he was talking about the high performance goals in Irish swimming. Before the games I thought it was an unnecessary burden to require our swimmers to swim their qualifying times at big events, when other sports and other swim teams would accept the times at any event. But he changed my mind on it by pointing out that it got competitors into the mindset of performing on the big day. Shane Ryan didn't get the 50 free time on the big day so wasn't allowed to compete in the event at the games. Fannon did and therefore was, and he swam two PBs in the Olympics. That's the difference.

This is the exception in Irish sport though, there's been far too much "happy to be there" stuff again this week. We should be happy to win, or if that's impossible at least be happy that we performed to our best when it mattered. We often don't though, and that's why I was amazed at all the journos buying into the 9,10,11 medals stuff ahead of the games. That was never on, my prediction was six, right now I'd say we might get to seven, but we are absolutely leaving medals behind us again unnecessarily this year.

Totally agree with your point about us not settling for mediocrity and being happy to be there. I think this is still holding us back a lot and there is too much fear to call a spade a spade and a bad performance a bad performance. You need to be ruthless to deliver medals and I think we still have a culture of settling for less when we have no reason not to dream about winning more. Put an Irish and a New Zealander on the line with similar rank and abilities and you’d nearly bet your bottom dollar that the NZ athlete will be the one who has the confidence they will come out on top. It’s a generalisation of course but it’s still a very evident trait amongst our sports stars. We are getting better and winning way more medals because we are making huge progress in terms of funding, access to facilities and having multiple more medal chances than before. But still we have to still work on our mindset and culture when it comes to where we are. Little old Ireland punching above its weight is a false perception not really serving Irish sport. 
However we are definitely getting there. The more McClenaghans, Wiffen and O’Donovans we produce who rightly exude confidence and not afraid to show it, you’d imagine we will see more and more coming through with that mindset.

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Just finished watching the Gauff-Muchova final at the China Open, and I’ll be watching both the men’s and women’s finals at the GSOC HearingLife Tour Challenge, but here’s what else I’ll be watching (or at least trying to watch) the next two weeks.    BWF Denmark Open, ATP Shanghai Masters, WTA Wuhan/Ningbo Open, FIVB Elite 16 Joao Pessoa, FIFA U17 Women’s Football World Cup (lesser priority, the knockout stage matches are in late October to early November), European Table Tennis Championships (lesser priority), FIS Ski/Snowboard Big Air WC Chur, UCI Track Cycling World Championships, WA Swimming WC Shanghai, NBA/NFL/NHL, any semi big curling events that I can find streaming for, any club season volleyball matches that I can find streaming for (some are on VBTV which helps but this season my teams are Gas Sales Blunergy Piacenza, Vero Volley Monza, Vakıfbank, Eczacıbaşı, Asseco Resovia), 3X3 Basketball World Tour Amsterdam/Macau (lesser priority and no group stage matches, only knockout if I have time and I’m not feeling too fatigued)
    • WTA 1000 China Open | Beijing, China   Women’s Singles 1.  Coco Gauff 2.  Karolina Muchova 3.  Qinwen Zheng 3.  Paula Badosa   Women’s Doubles 1.  Sara Errani/Jasmine Paolini 2.  (RUS) Chan Hao-Ching/Veronika Kudermetova 3.  (RUS) Elisabetta Cocciaretto/Liudmila Samsonova 3.  Bethanie Mattek-Sands/Sofia Kenin   Full Results
    • Coco Gauff defeats  Karolina Muchova 6-1, 6-3 for the China Open title, improving to 8-1 in WTA tour level finals while Muchova is now 1-5.
    • Dodgers fell 3-0 behind in the first inning to Padres but managed to win 7-5 in the first NLDS game.   Phillies' bullpen collapsed vs Mets allowing 5 runs and one out in the 8th inning
    • WWE Bad Blood 2024 Results:   CM Punk def. Drew McIntyre (Hell in a Cell Match)   WWE Women's Champion Nia Jax def. Bayley - TITLE RETAINED   Damian Priest def. Finn Balor   Rhea Ripley def. Women's World Champion Liv Morgan by DQ - TITLE RETAINED   Roman Reigns & Cody Rhodes def. Solo Sikoa & Jacob Fatu
    • To be fair, the only way to make the qualifying day shorter is by allowing fewer athletes and I really don't think that's a good trade-off for the sport. Qualifying day can be the biggest spectacle one can imagine, it's still not going to draw amazing viewing numbers anyway, since it's basically just laying the foundation for the weekend.   Ice resurfacing definitely takes a while if done properly, if pushing it they could maybe get it done just under 15 minutes or so. I'm a little afraid it goes the way of athletics, where things are pushed more and more into ever shorter formats. Shorttrack days and sessions can only realistically be made shorter if they spread a World Cup out over 4 instead of 3 days, but it's not like Thursday is going to be a massive audience day.
    • I wish the ISU would make each of the sessions shorter… they all last between 3-5 hours (and sometimes 10 hours with the qualifying sessions) and me personally I find it highly annoying and unnecessary, because there’s so many breaks in between (for ice resurfacing it’s understandable, but it doesn’t take the 15-20 minutes long breaks to do it…)
    • The only thing I can think of that has gotten in the way can be geo-restrictions, like the Fridays being available on YouTube, but not the Saturdays and Sundays, preventing new people from really getting into it. Somehow I doubt a new format means it will be made more welcoming for new viewers though...
    • But what can be improved? Broadcasting has for years already been excellent, with races that are quite clear to follow and fine graphics that have all we need. How is "Suzanne Schulting for the Dutch Lions!" instead of "Suzanne Schulting from the Netherlands!" going to make it a better 'broadcast product'?
    • I do think we need a rethink of how short track is packaged as a broadcast product given how little money is involved. Pretty hard to make a living in that sport.