website statistics

[POLL] Which of the following countries, arranged in pairs, will finish ahead of the other in medal tally at Paris? Version 2.0 Road to Paris 2024

[POLL] Which of the following countries, arranged in pairs, will finish ahead of the other in medal tally at Paris?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following countries, arranged in pairs, will finish ahead of the other in medal tally at Paris?

Posted (edited)

14 Olympic Games in total. Very limited small memories from Lillehammer 1994 though to Torino 2006 much better but definitely not followed in entirity as now (Too young, School duties etc...) however last 8 Olympics since Beijing 2008 in full Olympic fanatic mode. :d

All Time Best: Vancouver 2010 an absolute no brainer.

Best OG I saw according to my nations most successful games criteria: Beijing 2008

All Time Least Liked: London 2012 (Same apply also for the according to my nations less successful games view)

Edited by hckošice

Posted (edited)

I think 19, we sadly boycotted LA 1984. Best? I think Barcelona, high hopes after the end of comunism, waves of patriotism, good young team, beautiful city, football final, last free olympics as i see it. Romantic games for me 🙂, i was 15 then. Worst? Rio. Time difference, i couldnt feel the atmosphere, terrible games for Poland with many scandals. I was tired of Poland then, if not covid i would stop following polish sport. In pandemy every emotion was priceless. 

Edited by Pavlo

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

6. I started at 12yo with London (I have some memories about archery in Beijing with my grandparents). My first Olympic followed with a "fanatic approach" was Rio2016

2. I loved London and Rio. About Tokyo I still have mixed feelings, they was the "olympic of the reborn", but without spectators, OG have just another flavour.

my picks...

:TUR over :GEO 'cause the Georgians basically rely only on Judo and Wrestling, meanwhile Turkiye have a wider range of chances

:DEN over :PRK the Asians have been deprived of their best chances after being declared ineligible in Weightlifting, so I think Denmark will have the edge

:SUI over :RSA the Swiss might be the surprising package in Paris, they have the most medal chances ever

:AUT over :BUR the Africans only have a slight medal chance in the whole Games, meanwhile the Europeans are competitive in more disciplines

:NZL over :BRA the Kiwis have quite a few sports that will provide them a lot of gold medals

:ROU over :GRE rowing being the key factor for this prediction to happen

:SVK over :CIV shooting, slalom canoeing and Salkazanov > taekwondo (and athletics)

:LTU over :ECU Alekna being the key to success

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Subpoll 

1. How many Olympics have you watched in life?

2. What was your best and least liked games

1. I started in February 1984, the Sarajevo Winter Olympics and luckily I haven't missed any since then

2. Lillehammer 1994 (Winter) and Sydney 2000 (Summer) are definitely my best Olympic memories

Pyeongchang 2018 is without any doubt my worst Olympic experience because it came just a few months after my mom's death and in that period I was so sick in both my body and my soul that I couldn't enjoy anything in life 

however, technically speaking, under a strict sports point of view, Sochi 2014 were the worst Games ever

3 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Subpoll 

1. How many Olympics have you watched in life?

2. What was your best and least liked games

1. 7. First Olympics for me was Vancouver 2010 when I was 4 years old, my dad watched the gold medal match in men’s hockey and I watched it with him, obviously I wouldn’t remember anything from it as it was 14 years ago. First Olympics I actually remember watching was Sochi 2014. All three of those Olympics I only watched a few events at most. First time I full on started watching everything was back during Rio 2016. 

2. Favourite was Vancouver 2010 (I’ve watched a LOT of replays since then, men’s hockey gold medal match is my main highlight, but there was a lot of good events), and least favourite was Beijing 2022, given it was a complete and utter flop from a Canadian perspective with only 4 gold medals :facepalm::hairpull::rolleyes::dunno: (and two of them were lucky, even though Kingsbury got robbed in men’s moguls)

1. First Olympics was Beijing 2008. I have memories of my parents watching Torino and very well could have watched some myself but I really caught the Olympic bug at Beijing, 

2. I think I have to go with Vancouver for the best, London a close second, I’m sure Paris will eclipse both.

Least liked is Sochi it’s the least notable games and what I do have to note about it isn’t all that good.

54 minutes ago, Josh said:

1. 7. First Olympics for me was Vancouver 2010 when I was 4 years old, my dad watched the gold medal match in men’s hockey and I watched it with him, obviously I wouldn’t remember anything from it as it was 14 years ago. First Olympics I actually remember watching was Sochi 2014. All three of those Olympics I only watched a few events at most. First time I full on started watching everything was back during Rio 2016. 

2. Favourite was Vancouver 2010 (I’ve watched a LOT of replays since then, men’s hockey gold medal match is my main highlight, but there was a lot of good events), and least favourite was Beijing 2022, given it was a complete and utter flop from a Canadian perspective with only 4 gold medals :facepalm::hairpull::rolleyes::dunno: (and two of them were lucky, even though Kingsbury got robbed in men’s moguls)

Actually on further thought, I’d probably change it to Tokyo 2020, with the pandemic and everything. Lack of crowds and COVID 19 really sucked. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Oh my God, you're so YOUNG:hyper: