website statistics

[POLL] - Which country will win the most total medals on Day 1 at the Paris 2024 Olympics?

POLL - who will win the most medals in total on Day 1 in Paris 2024 Olympics?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the most medals in total on Day 1 in Paris 2024 Olympics?

• Australia
    • Canada
    • China
    • France
    • Germany
    • Great Britain
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Netherlands
    • Poland
    • United States
    • Any other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/29/2024 at 07:29 PM

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Interesting, I just made a random guess when I named skateboarding. I feel like :AUS usually has good contenders in the urban sports like BMX and skateboarding.

Yeah it’s strange, we have good contenders in the other skateboarding/bmx events but for some reason we have nobody in men’s street 

Edited by Dkats

I wouldn't be surprised if Italy tied AUS/USA on day 1 - 5,5 medals in these events if we go by latest World Championships (a half because a bronze in fencing - there are 2 bronzes at WCh but only 1 at the Olympics). It should be a strong start as usual, hopefully with a less noticeable drop in the second half of the Games.

I have the USA narrowly beating Australia on day 1 by 7 medals to 6 but the the Aussies will top the medal table if you go by gold medals rather than total medals

12 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I have the USA narrowly beating Australia on day 1 by 7 medals to 6 but the the Aussies will top the medal table if you go by gold medals rather than total medals

Ssh - Don't tell NBC.

2 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Ssh - Don't tell NBC.

On the subject of :GBR , day 1 is going to be important. If Tarling wins gold (and he defintely has a chance) it could be an amazing Games for GB.

15 minutes ago, Dragon said:

On the subject of :GBR , day 1 is going to be important. If Tarling wins gold (and he defintely has a chance) it could be an amazing Games for GB.

Any medal is better than the start of Tokyo, although that was down more to scheduling. By my count, we have chances in Both time trials, Men's Rugby 7's (if we qualify), women's 3m springboard synchro and the men's 4x100m free. Maybe even the mixed Air Rifle, although it is very hard to judge given the event is pretty unpredictable, let alone our athletes. 

I'll be happy with 2 medals and and gold would be a bonus. What would be nice would be to win a medal in the 1st event, which would either be the diving or shooting, to set the team up nicely.

2 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Any medal is better than the start of Tokyo, although that was down more to scheduling. By my count, we have chances in Both time trials, Men's Rugby 7's (if we qualify), women's 3m springboard synchro and the men's 4x100m free. Maybe even the mixed Air Rifle, although it is very hard to judge given the event is pretty unpredictable, let alone our athletes. 

I'll be happy with 2 medals and and gold would be a bonus. What would be nice would be to win a medal in the 1st event, which would either be the diving or shooting, to set the team up nicely.

We always tend to start relatively slowly and looking at the schedule I'd expect not much different here. Day 1 and 2 are often relatively quiet days for GBR medal gathering.

On the subject of which country will have the best day one, obviously the US and China are always going to be strong favourites for that, but that makes them boring choices. But I fancy Australia to do well. They've got medal shots in both cycling events, the rugby, diving and all 4 swimming events - obviously some of those medal shots are much stronger than others (Titmus is much more likely than, say, a male cyclist) but they are all possible without being crazy.

:ITA on Day 1

Cycling Road - M Ind Time Trial - Ganna, very disappointing if he doesn't get a medal, most likely Gold

Cycling Road - W Ind Time Trial

Diving - W Synchro 3m Springboard - reasonable chances for Pellacani & Bertocchi, all but a safe medal, though

Fencing - W Epee Ind - I expect at least a medal, but given this year's results, it might also be a double, if not a clean sweep

Fencing - M Sabre Ind - some chances also here for us, but it's gonna be a lot more difficult than in the women's Epee

Judo - W -48kg - Scutto must get a medal...she's the world no.1 and bronze medallist in the last 3 world champs

Judo - M -60kg

Rugby Sevens - M Tournament

Shooting - Mixed Team Air Rifle

Skateboarding - M Street

Swimming - M 400m Free

Swimming - W 400m Free

Swimming - W 4x100m Free

Swimming - M 4x100m Free - we're defending the silver medal from Tokyo here, but if we get a bronze medal it's already a big success

so, I expect :ITA to be between 4 and 7 medals

in the most optimistic case, we could be in contention with :USA:CHN:AUS and maybe even :FRA for the most medals on Day 1

At first glance, between the swimming, fencing, cycling and even skateboarding events, I would say that the clear favorite is :USA with :AUS close behind.

Bolder choices : :ITA as pointed by @phelps, but also :FRA with a bit of chauvinism !

I think French delegation is a serious favourite for a medal in two events :

• Rugby
  • Shirine Boukli in Judo W -48kg

... and a clear outsider in many more :

• Marie-Florence Candassamy is the reigning World Champion / Auriane Mallo was 1st and 3rd in the last two events this year (W Epee)
  • Our male sabre team is maybe our weakest in the six events of Fencing, but they still scored many podiums this year in the World Cup
  • Luke Mkheidze was 3rd in 2021, won one Grand Chelem and finished 2nd in two Grand Chelem tournaments this year (Judo M -60kg)
  • Océanne Muller et Lucas Kryzs had really good results this year too in the mixed event (Shooting - Mixed Team Air Rifle)
  • Aurélien Giraud was world champion in 2023 (and current world champion ?) in Street Skateboarding