website statistics

Wrestling at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

leaving the freestyle (which is the dominant style here) without gold medal is very very disappointing, 

for years and years Iran and USA were the best freestyle teams in the world behind Russia and now without Russia (well half of the FS medalists are still Russian!), both of them failed to win a single gold! and both had strong teams on paper :facepalm:

8 medals out of 11 wrestlers in 12 events is nothing to be sorry about. that's great result but losing 4 very very winnable finals suck big time. not sure why all of our finalists (except one) underperformed massively in the 2nd day. celebrating too much maybe ? :mumble: we seriously had a shot for 4 freestyle golds but lost them all for different reasons, Yazdani's injury, Amouzad's terrible gameplan, Zare's stupid mistake etc.

anyway it was a great week of wrestling, while it hurt sometimes but still I enjoyed every single minute of it. :d

even though you can't have a complete wrestling competition without Russia. on the positive note, this time we had less officiating problems. I only witnessed one big big robbery in MFS 74kg (that couldn't be just a mistake, that was intentional)

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

leaving the freestyle (which is the dominant style here) without gold medal is very very disappointing, 

for years and years Iran and USA were the best freestyle teams in the world behind Russia and now without Russia (well half of the FS medalists are still Russian!), both of them failed to win a single gold! and both had strong teams on paper :facepalm:

8 medals out of 11 wrestlers in 12 events is nothing to be sorry about. that's great result but losing 4 very very winnable finals suck big time. not sure why all of our finalists (except one) underperformed massively in the 2nd day. celebrating too much maybe ? :mumble: we seriously had a shot for 4 freestyle golds but lost them all for different reasons, Yazdani's injury, Amouzad's terrible gameplan, Zare's stupid mistake etc.

anyway it was a great week of wrestling, while it hurt sometimes but still I enjoyed every single minute of it. :d

even though you can't have a complete wrestling competition without Russia. on the positive note, this time we had less officiating problems. I only witnessed one big big robbery in MFS 74kg (that couldn't be just a mistake, that was intentional)

Who got robbed in men's FS74?

2 minutes ago, Ted said:

Who got robbed in men's FS74?

Cherman Valiev (ALB) beat the eventual gold medalist Jamalov (UZB) but a late challenge after the final whistle changed the final score

I believe 9 out of 10 (or maybe 10 out of 10) wrestling fans will tell you that was nonsense. 

UWW should do something to prevent this "mercenary" syndrome going pandemic.

In theory, in 4 years we could have only Iran, USA and Japan (in FS) having domestic wrestlers only. 

Lets face it, having 14 Russians (Dagestan, Chechnya, Ossetia) in one category isnt something wrestling needs.

1 hour ago, ChandlerMne said:

UWW should do something to prevent this "mercenary" syndrome going pandemic.

In theory, in 4 years we could have only Iran, USA and Japan (in FS) having domestic wrestlers only. 

Lets face it, having 14 Russians (Dagestan, Chechnya, Ossetia) in one category isnt something wrestling needs.

some media here reported a comment from Nenad Lalovic saying they are trying to make changing nationality harder . I couldn't find the English source for that interview so I'm not 100% sure if that's correct but this is certainly what they should do.

with the exception of :TUR Akgul and :IND Aman, nobody else won a medal in men's freestyle except Ex-Soviet countries or Russian mercenary wrestlers. 

women's freestyle and Greco are better in this matter. they are not totally ruined yet.

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

some media here reported a comment from Nenad Lalovic saying they are trying to make changing nationality harder

I hope that those sources are right. :yes

There should be some rule of inelegibility (2-3 years). Having some Russian competing for X country same year he wrestled for Russia is a total nutjob.

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

with the exception of :TUR Akgul and :IND Aman, nobody else won a medal in men's freestyle except Ex-Soviet countries or Russian mercenary wrestlers

I think that some Uzbek medalist is also from Russia. At least Uzbekistan shouldnt import them. :question:

8 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

I hope that those sources are right. :yes

There should be some rule of inelegibility (2-3 years). Having some Russian competing for X country same year he wrestled for Russia is a total nutjob.

I think that some Uzbek medalist is also from Russia. At least Uzbekistan shouldnt import them. :question:

Yes some Uzbek medalists are russians too.