website statistics

Women's Rugby Sevens Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Another interesting match. Too bad the women's tournament was overshadowed by the heavy schedule of other sports. 

Sorry to say but compared with men, they looked so clumpsy. Overall impression IMO is - ok, but whoever didnt watch girls - didnt lose much.

1 minute ago, Epic Failure said:

Canada should be proud of that silver. Taking down the Aussies and then running the Kiwis that close is a hard double any time, any place, let alone at the business end of the Olympics.

USA with a fine bronze as well.

Oh ya, this is the best the Canadian 7s team has look this entire Olympiad. A medal of any kind was a real stretch, beating :FRA and :AUS back to back before losing to :NZL by a single score? That's so much better than was expected.

And this is a young team too.

Women's Tournament
Final Results

:NZL New Zealand

Risi Pouri-Lane

Jorja Miller

Stacey Waaka

Manaia Nuku

Sarah Hirini

Michaela Blyde

Tyla King

Mahina Paul

Jazmin Felix-Hotham

Theresa Setefano

Portia Woodman-Wickliffe

Alena Saili

:CAN Canada

Caroline Crossley

Olivia Apps

Alysha Corrigan

Asia Hogan-Rochester

Chloe Daniels

Charity Williams

Florence Symonds

Carissa Norsten

Krissy Scurfield

Fancy Bermudez

Piper Logan

Keyara Wardley

Taylor Perry

Shalaya Valenzuela

:USA United States

Ariana Ramsey

Ilona Maher

Kayla Canett

Sammy Sullivan

Alev Kelter

Lauren Doyle

Naya Tapper

Alex Sedrick

Alena Olsen

Steph Rovetti

Sarah Levy

Kristi Kirshe

Gold Medal Match

:NZL New Zealand  19 - 12  Canada  :CAN

Bronze Medal Match

:USA United States  14 - 12  Australia :AUS

Full Tournament Results HERE

Womens  rugby 7s in rather an immature sport which is really only in the Olympics for gender equity reasons. 

It was actually in the Olympics before it was in the Commonwealth Games-which is curious for what has always been a Commonwealth dominated sport

There really aren't local leagues even in rugby countries and teams are selected from sporty girls who may not even  have any rugby background (so I've read) .You can tell this by both Canada and USA doing so well.Both these countries have tiny rugby cultures exemplified by neither being men's World Cup qualifiers (the main indicator of rugby culture)

Still it's fun to watch.I just say this to show that how an event gets into the Olympics is very political. These days you must have a women's event in everything .I'm sure our grandparents would have been flabbergasted at women's boxing being in the Olympics

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, rajiv said:

Womens  rugby 7s in rather an immature sport which is really only in the Olympics for gender equity reasons. 

It was actually in the Olympics before it was in the Commonwealth Games-which is curious for what has always been a Commonwealth dominated sport

There really aren't local leagues even in rugby countries and teams are selected from sporty girls who may not even  have any rugby background (so I've read) .You can tell this by both Canada and USA doing so well.Both these countries have tiny rugby cultures exemplified by neither being men's World Cup qualifiers (the main indicator of rugby culture)

Still it's fun to watch.I just say this to show that how an event gets into the Olympics is very political. These days you must have a women's event in everything .I'm sure our grandparents would have been flabbergasted at women's boxing being in the Olympics

Both Canada and the US have long histories in rugby culture. In fact the most recent Rugby World Cup was the first world cup not to feature either team. Canada had been at every WC since the inception in 1987 and the US had been at all but one (1995).

On the women's side, both teams have a strong 15s team. The US were in fact the first ever women's World Cup winners and Canada have been runners up. In fact Canada are currently the 3rd ranked side in women's rugby, behind only England and New Zealand.

Domestically, the US has been playing rugby since the late 1800s, primarily in universities, which is where the majority of North American rugby players find the sport, on both the men's and women's side. In the last 20 years it has received a surge in popularity and is regularly cited as one of the fastest growing sports in the US. In fact the 2031 Men's World Cup is going to be held in the States, with the women's WC in 2033 also hosted there.

Women's rugby has historically received little investment and support, even in the countries where it is popular. That fact is similar to women's football until relatively recently.

World Rugby has started showing support for the women's side more seriously in recent years and, sure enough, the game is growing at pace. The addition of 7s to the Olympics for both men and women is part of that.

Incidentally, the 7s this week set a record for a stand alone women's rugby tournament, with an attendance of 66000 people.

So it's not 'just there for gender equity reasons". It's there because people enjoy it.

Edited by Epic Failure

Posted (edited)

Congratulation Canada for great match against Feance, and after the semifinal. It was nice to watch on the Stadium. I must admit that USA takiego bronze in the last second was emotional. Full audience, but still France after losing medal  cheering the team. That's  cool

Edited by Adriano

On 7/30/2024 at 8:20 PM, rajiv said:

There really aren't local leagues even in rugby countries and teams are selected from sporty girls who may not even  have any rugby background (so I've read)

You can tell this by both Canada and USA doing so well.Both these countries have tiny rugby cultures exemplified by neither being men's World Cup qualifiers (the main indicator of rugby culture)

I just say this to show that how an event gets into the Olympics is very political. These days you must have a women's event in everything

1. I disagree, Olympic rugby sevens is thrilling to watch.
  2. Rugby sevens is organized in tournaments (like tennis and motorsport), very differently from the typical 2-hour team sport. That's not a disadvantage, much less a problem.
  3. United States is excellent in lots of unpopular sports, thanks to the state-funded college system. So the situation of rugby sevens is hardly unusual.
  4. Yes, and I agree with that.