website statistics

Women's Handball Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Jaymz said:

In France Handball is the 6th most popular sport (after football, tennis, equestrian, basketball and judo) with more than 450 000 registered members. I’m sure it’s not the same in UK.

I was speaking about all the Olympic Games, non just about handball :)

1 minute ago, Jaymz said:

In France Handball is the 6th most popular sport (after football, tennis, equestrian, basketball and judo) with more than 450 000 registered members. I’m sure it’s not the same in UK.

Would you say handball is more popular than rugby in France?

I just learnt from the commentator that :DEN missed the Olympics in Rio and Tokyo. That feels so off, to me Denmark feels like one of the powerhouses of handball with a strong domestic competition as well. Were they really unlucky in qualification the last times or is their national team not as good as I thought?

Just now, Jinzha said:

Would you say handball is more popular than rugby in France?

For me, rugby is still more popular because most of the matches (national, European, international) are broadcasted on national and free TV. 

French people are interessed by handball only during the World Championships and Olympics. 

5 minutes ago, Styrka said:

For me, rugby is still more popular because most of the matches (national, European, international) are broadcasted on national and free TV. 

French people are interessed by handball only during the World Championships and Olympics. 

Same opinion here. Rugby is only 10th by number of registered members (a bit more than 300 000) but far more broadcasted on television.

11 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I just learnt from the commentator that :DEN missed the Olympics in Rio and Tokyo. That feels so off, to me Denmark feels like one of the powerhouses of handball with a strong domestic competition as well. Were they really unlucky in qualification the last times or is their national team not as good as I thought?

In Rio the women's team was still building to become the team they are today. Many of the current players where younger and they were slightly below some other European teams. Denmark only became third in their qualification tournament group at home. They lost to Romania which was better at that time and Montenegro. Nations that Denmark today is better than, but at that time both Romania and Montenegro had a couple of star players on their teams. 

In 2020 they disappointed by not qualifying to one of the final qualification tournaments. They were as always many strong nations, but this was pure underperformance from the Danish team. 

They have only recently rose to a level where they can win medals again at big championships. They won their first championships medal back 2021 after not winning a medal in 8 years, 2013. Before that, their last medal was at the euro champs in Hungary back in 2004. 

The golden generation of the 90's ended by 2004 and since then the women have struggled to come back to the glory days of the 90's. The Danish women's and men's team essentially switched places when it came to dominance and influence during the 2000's where the men's team with very few achievements in the past rose to become a  powerhouse on the men's side while the women have struggled until the 2020's came. 

1 minute ago, Wumo said:

In Rio the women's team was still building to become the team they are today. Many of the current players where younger and they were slightly below some other European teams. Denmark only became third in their qualification tournament group at home. They lost to Romania which was better at that time and Montenegro. Nations that Denmark today is better than, but at that time both Romania and Montenegro had a couple of star players on their teams. 

In 2020 they disappointed by not qualifying to one of the final qualification tournaments. They were as always many strong nations, but this was pure underperformance from the Danish team. 

They have only recently rose to a level where they can win medals again at big championships. They won their first championships medal back 2021 after not winning a medal in 8 years, 2013. Before that, their last medal was at the euro champs in Hungary back in 2004. 

The golden generation of the 90's ended by 2004 and since then the women have struggled to come back to the glory days of the 90's. The Danish women's and men's team essentially switched places when it came to dominance and influence during the 2000's where the men's team with very few achievements in the past rose to become a  powerhouse on the men's side while the women have struggled until the 2020's came. 

Thank you for the clear explanation! Best of luck to your team! Strong start today, especially in this second half.

I will definitely try to tune in to the Scandinavian clashes in group A between :DEN:NOR:SWE !

32 minutes ago, Jaymz said:

The biggest British teams are mostly amateurs from Poland, Spain, France etc.  It’s growing, but there’s a lot of other sports.