website statistics

Fencing at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

I thought the last touch in the men's foil final was... fine? I think :ITA got a bit hard done on the first simultaneous, but in real time I agreed with the call and you need to slow it down quite a bit for it to be apparent than :ITA had a slight advantage. Second simultaneous I think leaned for :HKG, and the hit that won :HKG gold was clearly theirs.

Can't comment on any other hits though, other than the women's foil bronze medal match I didn't watch much of :ITA in fencing.

14 minutes ago, zob79 said:

'Cause the referees were used to get gifts from Italian federation; when those gifts stopped coming, this is what usually happens in any area of human activity.

Ok, so now the USA and the Far East are giving bigger gifts? Despite everything, I think that in the era of Var we shouldn't think in such categories. 

Edited by copravolley

13 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I thought the last touch in the men's foil final was... fine? I think :ITA got a bit hard done on the first simultaneous, but in real time I agreed with the call and you need to slow it down quite a bit for it to be apparent than :ITA had a slight advantage. Second simultaneous I think leaned for :HKG, and the hit that won :HKG gold was clearly theirs.

Can't comment on any other hits though, other than the women's foil bronze medal match I didn't watch much of :ITA in fencing.

Absolutely agree with the third call, it was the opponent's. The first call, on the other hand, was clearly for Macchi (which the referee also said on the VAR, but the main referee gave the simultaneous) and even the second, if dubious, call saw a Macchi departure.

It's a foolish that the 1st one was called "no pas de touche".

3 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Absolutely agree with the third call, it was the opponent's. The first call, on the other hand, was clearly for Macchi (which the referee also said on the VAR, but the main referee gave the simultaneous) and even the second, if dubious, call saw a Macchi departure.

It's a foolish that the 1st one was called "no pas de touche".

First one definitively did lean towards :ITA, and it would have been very reasonable for it to go that way.

But like, if I was reffing I in real time (without the benifit of replay) I 100% would have called it simultane. It was genuinely a very close call.

8 minutes ago, NearPup said:

First one definitively did lean towards :ITA, and it would have been very reasonable for it to go that way.

But like, if I was reffing I in real time (without the benifit of replay) I 100% would have called it simultane. It was genuinely a very close call.

But they watched the replay plus and plus time :p

13 hours ago, Styrka said:

How did she cheat? 

I don't think @Tedwas accusing Manon of actually cheating, hence the quotations.

The thing is there were questionable calls which went against Dora, especially at the end.

Dora was crying on Greek TV after and said "I don't like to use the refereeing as an excuse, I think that's the weak excuse, but I think some hits were wrong and it should have at least gone to 14-14."

Her coach was not as kind, he said "This wasn't injustice, this was a scandal! It was at least 6 points, the match should've ended 15-9 in our favour. What happened today was she played against a French woman, we beat the previous one, now we played with another one, she had to win. It was very clear today's match. It's a massive injustice. It's a pity that some people are playing with the work and the blood and sweat of these children. It's a sin."

Personally I can't think of any good memories from Olympic fencing, especially women's sabre!

In London we had Vougiouka in QF with a big lead and then got injured and couldn't breathe and ended up losing to the eventual gold medalist. Then we had Georgiadou not qualifying for Paris despite being number 3 in the world, in a year where FIE changed the qualification rules for some but not others, and also gave everyone and their mother a wildcard but not Georgiadou. Then we have Gkountoura make the quarterfinals and this happens.

The only thing that will make this all okay is if we qualify for the team event for 2028 and win a medal, otherwise fencing to me will mean nothing...

9 hours ago, NearPup said:

In the end, so far, almost every time whoever loses in the fencing is angry and pretending they got robbed, the longer the tournament went on these days, the more I was inclined to just ignore the theater by those who lost and kept yelling :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Interview with the head of the coaching council of the russian national fencing team, Mark Rakita.

— Did you know that the granddaughter of your teammate Vladimir Nazlymov, Tatyana, is competing at this Olympics? For the US team.

— I am not a nationalist, but the Crimean Tatars sometimes turned out to be traitors. Comrade Stalin expelled them from Crimea, the entire nation. And Nazlymov is a Crimean Tatar, although he was born in Dagestan. His father, a normal Soviet officer, returned from the war to Crimea — but they did not let him in, so he went to Ufa. And then he was drawn to the Muslim region.

— I am 31 years old, unlike you, I did not live through the Cold War, when the US and the USSR fought simultaneously in different parts of the world — and there was no question of removal. Have we lost influence?

— Today, Satan rules the roost — the US. They hurt us, but we do not hurt them. Here is my question: why?

— Can we?

— That's the question. Everyone around us says that we are so strong that we can. Then why don't we do it? Why don't we put our military group in Cuba? There are plenty of American bases around us. If we bring a couple of submarines there, they will understand that they are under fire. So that their as**s will sweat too! At the Olympics they show that they can do anything to us. Yes, I understand — we don't need to snap back. We need to behave with dignity, but we need to respond in such a way that they also feel pain.

Edited by avlar