website statistics

2024 Canadian Olympic Swim Trials Road to Paris 2024

Posted (edited)

MSH's time would get her into the final, Summer's time would challenge for the gold (so sad she likely can't compete in it at Paris). 

Pretty disappointed with the 200m after that, though. I expected two (or even more) to get the OQT besides Summer. 

Most of all disappointed by the breaststroke. No one qualifying is....not great. 

Edit: Forgot to mention the backstroke. Great race there, great to see two guys qualify. Shave off another half second, could get into the final. 

Edited by orangeman

5 minutes ago, orangeman said:

MSH's time would get her into the final, Summer's time would challenge for the gold (so sad she likely can't compete in it at Paris). 

Pretty disappointed with the 200m after that, though. I expected two (or even more) to get the OQT besides Summer. 

Most of all disappointed by the breaststroke. No one qualifying is....not great. 

Brousseau had a great swim. So did Tierney and Acevedo. Yeah super disappointing, hopefully Swimming Canada can select one of Branton/LePage/Pickrem in the women’s 100m breaststroke as discretionary pick (I believe all have OQTs?), and allow Wigginton another opportunity at the OQS. 

Posted (edited)

Here's the qualification list by priority. People in italics are qualified in a higher priority.

Priority 1: Finish in the top 2 and achieve the OQT at the event.

Javier Acevedo (M 100m Backstroke)

Mary-Sophie Harvey (W 200m Freestyle, W 100m Butterfly)

Tristan Jankovics (M 400m Individual Medley)

Maggie MacNeil (W 100m Butterfly)

Summer McIntosh (W 200m Freestyle, W 400m Freestyle)

Blake Tierney (M 100m Backstroke)

Priority 2: Finish in the top 4 in the 100m and 200m freestyle events to compete in the relays.

Julie Brousseau (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Mary-Sophie Harvey (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Summer McIntosh (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Emma O'Croinin (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Priority 3: Winners of the 100m backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly to compete in the relays.

Sophie Angus (W 4x100m Medley Relay)

Finlay Knox (M 4x100m Medley Relay)

Maggie MacNeil (W 4x100m Medley Relay)

Blake Tierney (M 4x100m Medley Relay)

Priority 4: Additional 100m and 200m freestyle or 100m medley athletes to compete in the relays (based on director's recommendation)

TBD

I'm thinking maybe MSH and Acevedo does the medley while the women's 4x200m relay gets another 2-3 swimmers.

Priority 5: Swimmers who have achieved the OQT during the qualification period (March 1, 2023 - June 23, 2024) and finished in the top 2

Sophie Angus (W 100m Breaststroke)

Priority 6: Swimmers who have achieved the OCT during the qualification period, won the event and finished within 1% if their fastest time will be provisionally nominated pending World Aquatics invitation.

None

Current Total: 10 (4 men, 6 women)

Note: People could be added in priority 5 or 6 should they achieve an OQT/OCT between now and June 23rd.

Edited by JoshMartini007

Posted (edited)

Olympic Qualifiers After Day 2 (10 athletes)

Men

Finlay Knox - Men’s 4x100m Medley Relay

Tristan Jankovics - Men’s 400m Individual Medley

Blake Tierney - Men’s 100m Backstroke, Men’s 4x100m Medley Relay

Javier Acevedo - Men’s 100m Backstroke

Women

Maggie MacNeil - Women’s 100m Butterfly

Mary-Sophie Harvey - Women’s 100m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Freestyle, Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Summer McIntosh - Women’s 200m Freestyle, Women’s 400m Freestyle, Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Julie Brousseau - Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Emma O’Croinin - Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Sophie Angus - Women’s 100m Breaststroke, Women’s 4x100m Medley Relay

Edited by Josh

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Here's the qualification list by priority. People in italics are qualified in a higher priority.

Priority 1: Finish in the top 2 and achieve the OQT at the event.

Mary-Sophie Harvey (W 200m Freestyle, W 100m Butterfly)

Tristan Jankovics (M 400m Individual Medley)

Maggie MacNeil (W 100m Butterfly)

Summer McIntosh (W 200m Freestyle, W 400m Freestyle)

Priority 2: Finish in the top 4 in the 100m and 200m freestyle events to compete in the relays.

Julie Brousseau (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Mary-Sophie Harvey (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Summer McIntosh (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Emma O'Croinin (W 4x200m Freestyle Relay)

Priority 3: Winners of the 100m backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly to compete in the relays.

Sophie Angus (W 4x100m Medley Relay)

Finlay Knox (M 4x100m Medley Relay)

Maggie MacNeil (W 4x100m Medley Relay)

Blake Tierney (M 4x100m Medley Relay)

Priority 4: Additional 100m and 200m freestyle or 100m medley athletes to compete in the relays (based on director's recommendation)

TBD

I'm thinking maybe MSH does the medley while the women's 4x200m relay gets another 2-3 swimmers.

Priority 5: Swimmers who have achieved the OQT during the qualification period (March 1, 2023 - June 23, 2024) and finished in the top 2

Sophie Angus (W 100m Breaststroke)

Blake Tierney (M 100m Backstroke)

Priority 6: Swimmers who have achieved the OCT during the qualification period, won the event and finished within 1% if their fastest time will be provisionally nominated pending World Aquatics invitation.

None

Current Total: 9 (3 men, 6 women)

Note: People could be added in priority 5 or 6 should they achieve an OQT/OCT between now and June 23rd.

I think Tierney and Acevedo are in Priority 1. 

I totally forgot to point out how happy I am for Javi Acevedo, like I remember being so impressed when he qualified in 2016 and then in 2020 I was totally shocked that he was even named to the team. Feeling good about him now getting to make the team in the 100m backstroke. Hopefully it bodes well for his freestyle.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Josh said:

Olympic Qualifiers After Day 2 (10 athletes)

Men

Finlay Knox - Men’s 4x100m Medley Relay

Tristan Jankovics - Men’s 400m Individual Medley

Blake Tierney - Men’s 100m Backstroke, Men’s 4x100m Medley Relay

Javier Acevedo - Men’s 100m Backstroke

Women

Maggie MacNeil - Women’s 100m Butterfly

Mary-Sophie Harvey - Women’s 100m Butterfly, Women’s 200m Freestyle, Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Summer McIntosh - Women’s 200m Freestyle, Women’s 400m Freestyle, Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Julie Brousseau - Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Emma O’Croinin - Women’s 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Sophie Angus - Women’s 100m Breaststroke, Women’s 4x100m Medley Relay

A lot of these athletes will probably qualify regardless, but here’s a list of the notable swimmers who have competed in an event and haven’t qualified, who might be eligible for a discretionary pick. Some of them haven’t competed in their best event yet, but I’ll mention them anyways. 

Penny Oleksiak, Taylor Ruck, Ella Jansen (probably will qualify for the women’s 4x200m relay actually, McIntosh probably won’t be swimming prelims), Rebecca Smith, Katerine Savard, Apollo Hess, Shona Branton, Alexanne LePage, Sydney Pickrem, Kelsey Wog, Lorne Wigginton (needs the OQT)

Edited by Josh