website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

58 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

It's all working out pretty neatly for the women:

Freya Colbert - 400m IM / 200m IM

Abbie Wood - 200m Free / 200m IM

Katie Shanahan - 400m IM / 200m Back

Hopefully a medal can be achieved from one of them.

So far we have 21 confirmed qualifiers, 18 winners and 3 second places. 

Greenbank and Evans or Hanlon (even possibly both) will qualify tomorrow, bringing us up to a possible 24. 

Wilby has also done enough to qualify, giving us 25. 

That leaves us with 5 spots from the following: 

Anderson

Blocksidge

Okoro

Whittle

Peters

Guy

Cox

Bird

Gammon

Blocksidge and Okoro likely won't do enough tomorrow, and therefore won't qualify. 

Despite coming second in the 100 fly, I also don't think Gammon gets in as relay reserve as atm it would be an ineffective use of a spot. 

I reckon they'll select Anderson for now and see how she is, if she not fully fit then they'll swap her out for Okoro. If she does get picked I reckon they'll give her Colbert's 200 place, but it'll be tough for her to get the 100 (unless Colbert gets that too). 

All signs point to Whittle getting selected, the men need another 100 free relay reserve with the packed schedules of Dean, Richards and Scott. Whittle being selected means 2 of those 3 can be rested in the heats. 

The big decision comes with who they take as the 100 fly. The scenario is pretty simple for me, if Guy gets in the 200 free relay then he gets the fly individual and relay reserve, if not then it goes to Peters. They won't take 3 fly swimmers, so it's either one or the other. 

I reckon Bird just sneakes in. Everyone would be aware of his near miss and there would be some uproar if he doesn't get in. This is one the selectors can't push under the rug as people will be looking out for his name, and I reckon there'll be enough space for him to sneak in ahead of potential relay reserves. 

In terms of Cox, I think she gets in if there's a space left at the end. There's already plausible relay cover in her place in the form of Harris and Osrin, with the former also being able to swim the individual. I think she barely sneaks in, but it could all come down to Okoro getting in the top 4 of the 100 free and claiming that relay space. 

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Greenbank and Evans or Hanlon (even possibly both) will qualify tomorrow, bringing us up to a possible 24. 

Anderson

Blocksidge

Okoro

Whittle

Peters

Guy

Cox

Bird

Gammon

Blocksidge and Okoro likely won't do enough tomorrow, and therefore won't qualify. 

Despite coming second in the 100 fly, I also don't think Gammon gets in as relay reserve as atm it would be an ineffective use of a spot. 

I reckon they'll select Anderson for now and see how she is, if she not fully fit then they'll swap her out for Okoro. If she does get picked I reckon they'll give her Colbert's 200 place, but it'll be tough for her to get the 100 (unless Colbert gets that too). 

All signs point to Whittle getting selected, the men need another 100 free relay reserve with the packed schedules of Dean, Richards and Scott. Whittle being selected means 2 of those 3 can be rested in the heats. 

The big decision comes with who they take as the 100 fly. The scenario is pretty simple for me, if Guy gets in the 200 free relay then he gets the fly individual and relay reserve, if not then it goes to Peters. They won't take 3 fly swimmers, so it's either one or the other. 

I reckon Bird just sneakes in. Everyone would be aware of his near miss and there would be some uproar if he doesn't get in. This is one the selectors can't push under the rug as people will be looking out for his name, and I reckon there'll be enough space for him to sneak in ahead of potential relay reserves. 

In terms of Cox, I think she gets in if there's a space left at the end. There's already plausible relay cover in her place in the form of Harris and Osrin, with the former also being able to swim the individual. I think she barely sneaks in, but it could all come down to Okoro getting in the top 4 of the 100 free and claiming that relay space. 

The selectors won’t care one bit if there is any uproar. The policy is designed to cause some controversy. Unlike Athletics people won’t be speaking out about it and there is such a distance to the games swimming won’t get drawn into the mess coming Athletics way with rejected invites. 

And I just don’t see Wilby going. 

Edited by Orangehair43

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

He does at least get the OCT so he can still be entered into the event. 

Peaty needs the cover - if there's any space on the boat/plane/train, Wilby goes. some of tonight's results, particularly the 2-3 in the 50 free and 1-2 in the 200 IM take a certain amount of the pressure off, tomorrow they'll want the obvious 4 for the 4 x 200, so they'll be keeping a nervous eye on Guy - if he's top 4, a lot of the issues resolve.

Tomorrow they'd like one of the three key breaststrokers to punch the ticket, Luke Greenbank to hit his straps, and no shocking surprises in the freestyles. Id Blocksridge did a miracle, that would be ice but it's not really likely.

Bt my raw count, we have 24 guaranteed or 2nd with consideration time. Tomorrow they'll want Guy, Greenbank, Hanlon or Evens to do likewise, and would quite like Freya Anderson to swim - she is listed, all the other 4 x 1 major players are already on the boat.

That would, in theory, bring the team up to 28. After that, if its me, I'm bringing Wilby, I'm bending the rules by saying Tobias is an openwater quota place,  and then its a toss up for me between Bird and Blocksidge, leaning toward the latter. I think in that scenario, Whittle and Cox lose out.

17 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Anderson

Blocksidge

Okoro

Whittle

Peters

Guy

Cox

Bird

Gammon

Are you counting the confirmed relay swimmers in the 25 - Cahoon, Joe Litchfield, Medi Harris and Leah Hope?

4 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Are you counting the confirmed relay swimmers in the 25 - Cahoon, Joe Litchfield, Medi Harris and Leah Hope?

Yes. They showed the full list today minus Proud at the start of the broadcast this evening. I think you're also counting the open water swimmers, who don't contribute towards the 30.