website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Vektor said:

So basically :HUN or :ESP will qualify to Paris before they play their match.

If :CAN wins against :JPN, :HUN will also qualify.

If :JPN wins against :CAN, :ESP will also qualify.

Bad news for :JPN and :CAN, because this means that :ESP or :HUN will play an unimportant match for them while the other will fight for quota in the final match. 

Which country do you think would miss the games?

20 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Bad news for :JPN and :CAN, because this means that :ESP or :HUN will play an unimportant match for them while the other will fight for quota in the final match. 

I hate this.

35 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Why is this so? They're all 1-1 now. If Canada and Hungary both lose they'd both be 1-2. Isn't the first tie-breaker head-to-head, which Canada holds? Canada also still has the best point differential. 

The same with Japan/Spain. If they both lose, Japan should hold the tie-breaker against Spain and qualify. 

Edited by orangeman

2 hours ago, Josh said:

@EselTheDonkey just went over all of the scenarios again, it seems as if I was wrong. Only winning would qualify you for Paris, otherwise you’ll have to wait until Sunday. 

Are you sure?

Let's assume Australia beats Germany and Brazil beats Serbia. This means :AUS would have won two games, :BRA and :GER each one and :SRB none. Australia would be qualified, of course. 

Then there are two options for :BRA vs :GER on Sunday. Either Germany wins and is qualified, or Brazil wins and has two victories as well (one against Germany and one against Serbia). Meaning Germany would have one win and Serbia at most one as well, while Germany would have won the game against Serbia.

What is the scenario in which Germany wouldn't already be qualified, if Brazil beats Serbia?

Edited by EselTheDonkey

28 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Why is this so? They're all 1-1 now. If Canada and Hungary both lose they'd both be 1-2. Isn't the first tie-breaker head-to-head, which Canada holds? Canada also still has the best point differential. 

The same with Japan/Spain. If they both lose, Japan should hold the tie-breaker against Spain and qualify. 

Yes, that's true.

But the European teams have the advantage of knowing how the other match went. Which means that Hungary or Spain might not fight that hard because they will already have the quota, which can help the other European team to qualify.

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Yes, that's true.

But the European teams have the advantage of knowing how the other match went. Which means that Hungary or Spain might not fight that hard because they will already have the quota, which can help the other European team to qualify.

I misread your original post, I did not see the "or", and thought you meant "and". Sorry! 

But if Canada loses to Japan then they don't really belong at the Olympics anyway, injuries or not. Of course if Spain loses to Hungary (and Japan) then they don't really deserve it either, but they did enough.  

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

I misread your original post, I did not see the "or", and thought you meant "and". Sorry! 

But if Canada loses to Japan then they don't really belong at the Olympics anyway, injuries or not. Of course if Spain loses to Hungary (and Japan) then they don't really deserve it either, but they did enough.  

Japan isn’t as bad of a team as you’re making them out to be.