website statistics

National websites on Olympic sports?

Pasolini

Hey guys/gals, I thought we could share here good websites from each country that follow Olympic sports in a more local level.

Places where olympic athletes, sports, results, national leagues and politics are covered in depth.

I will start with 

:BRABrazil

Olimpíada Todo DiaThe main website that covers Olympic sports (I may be biased because I write for it :lol:). Created after the Rio 2016 Olympics (could it be a legacy then? lol). The main focus is Brazilian (olympic) sports in all levels. Besides the website it is particularly strong on instagram and tiktok.

Surto Olímpico - Created in 2011, the first of its sort. Besides the website, it has a very strong presence on Twitter. Covers mostly elite sports, both in Brazil and international. ps: also biased, as I worked there from 19 to 21.

Globo Esporte (GE.com)From Grupo Globo, the main media conglomarate in Brazil. It covers all sports, and don't necessarily focus on Brazilian sports, but they have an Olympic page. One of the columnists, Guilherme Costa, has a blog focused on Olympic qualification and also an "Olympic thermometer". He is also strong on twitter.

UOL Esporte- As Globo, it covers sports in general. Its Olympic staff produces specials from time to time (like this incredible piece on Daniele Hypolito by Beatriz Cesarini) and also it's home to the columnist Demétrio Vecchioli, who writes for Olhar Olímpico also with a strong presence on Twitter -, notorious for his focus on Sports politics.

Besides those websites (sorry if I'm forgetting someone), Os Olímpicos by Saulo Próspero and Marcio Melo famously cover Olympic qualification from start ot finish. Chapolins Brasileiros is a twitter and instagram account by the best organized fanclub for olympic sports in Brazil. They travel around the world since the 2011 pan American Games.

Most recently, Piu Esportes also started as a strong twitter account and now is moving towards general media, with a youtube channel.

Also worthy of mention is Brazilian Olympic Committee, with a speedy presence on social media through its trademark Time Brasil, specially twitter and instagram - obviously only highlighting the positive side of Brazilian sports.

If you understands well Portuguese or wants to learn, the best way is to hear Rumo ao Pódio with Globo Esporte's journalists Guilherme Costa, Marcel Merguizzo and Giovana Pinheiro. Duplo Twist Hablado is a fantastic podcast devoted to Gymnastics, and is also very active on twitter. And Surto Olímpico and Olimpíada Todo Dia also have spotify profiles and Time Brasil on Youtube.

Speaking of specific sports, Tênis Brasil and Best Swimming are absolutely the best. The latter is headed by Coach Alex Pussieldi, with a very active presence on twitter and instagram. On Brazilian volleyball, be in clubs or national team, a good option is Portal Vôlei, active on twitter and instagram.

For Winter Games, Brasil Zero Grau by Gustavo Longo is the main source of information and analysis.

For academics, I recommend to follow the work of Grupo de Estudos Olímpicos (GEO) by USP - University of São Paulowho releases biannualy the Olimpianos, the Journal of Olympic Studies - with articles in English and Portuguese.

Edited by Mateus Nagime

I'm familiar with most of these brazilian sites/accounts and I can say we have NOTHING in comparison. The olympic specialized people are only 20 or so and they all have minimal levels of engagement on social media. From big conglomerates there's basically 0 coverage about "olympic sport" except when the main (summer) event arrives.

COA does no effort either, their website and social media accounts just provide minimal info and nothing else. 

There are journalists or sites/accounts that specialize in sports other than football and they have very decent following but they all just stay within their own area so to speak. They don't particularly care about the olympics and the people who consume their content, for the most part, are also only interested in that sport.

It didn't use to be like this 10+ years ago, but right now EVERYTHING is football and nothing else. This week it was announced that public TV will not broadcast the olympics for the first time since 2000. 

Edited by LDOG

On 1/19/2024 at 1:47 AM, LDOG said:

I'm familiar with most of these brazilian sites/accounts and I can say we have NOTHING in comparison. The olympic specialized people are only 20 or so and they all have minimal levels of engagement on social media. From big conglomerates there's basically 0 coverage about "olympic sport" except when the main (summer) event arrives.

COA does no effort either, their website and social media accounts just provide minimal info and nothing else. 

There are journalists or sites/accounts that specialize in sports other than football and they have very decent following but they all just stay within their own area so to speak. They don't particularly care about the olympics and the people who consume their content, for the most part, are also only interested in that sport.

It didn't use to be like this 10+ years ago, but right now EVERYTHING is football and nothing else. This week it was announced that public TV will not broadcast the olympics for the first time since 2000. 

wow that's so sad!! I truly believe that this is one of the "hidden legacies" of Rio Olympics. Surto Olímpico, for instance, started in the leading up to the Games, Olimpíada Todo Dia was created a bit after that. Some of the journalists had a bigger platform in the big media, etc.

In the late 90s/early 00, the biggest sports newspapers had lot of pages devoted to olympic sports, but now the big media is basically football as well.