website statistics

Rowing 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

16 hours ago, zob79 said:

But lots of :ROU and :GRE :thumbup:

Well we only have 7 boats, so it's a decent amount but could be more.

I expect medals in M1X, M2-, M2X, W2-, W2X. Not sure about M4- and W4X as we have a bunch of new athletes I don't know about.

At World Cup II, Ntouskos won his heat but then finished last in his quarterfinal a few hours later, behind the likes of Uzbekistan and Zimbabwe! :yikes:

I think it might've had something to do with having two races in the same day, hopefully he will be fine for the Olympics as he just won silver at the European Championships, and in those events you don't race twice in one day.

Our women's pair were 2nd in their heat (clearly behind :NED), now 2nd in their semifinal (clearly behind :CIV), so not looking good for an Olympic medal after they were clearly behind :ROU at the European Championships. We will see tomorrow in the final how they race against :AUS and :USA. Anyways they have shown they should definitely make the final in Paris so that should be their goal and then from there anything is possible really :dunno:

Also it's possible the other crews are "peaking too soon" but I don't think so because these are the same crews who finished above our girls at the Worlds last year (plus :CHI who it seems we are clearly better than now).

4 hours ago, Makedonas said:

At World Cup II, Ntouskos won his heat but then finished last in his quarterfinal a few hours later, behind the likes of Uzbekistan and Zimbabwe! :yikes:

I think it might've had something to do with having two races in the same day, hopefully he will be fine for the Olympics as he just won silver at the European Championships, and in those events you don't race twice in one day.

But everyone raced twice the same day, surely someone who is among the very best in the world should be capable of spending his energy sort of evenly to make it through to the next round in these early stages...(for which the likes of Ntouskos of course don't need 100%, given their quality)

At least for his sake I hope it was a matter of being sick (only a little of course, so he'll be better within days :p), otherwise it would be a little worrying.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But everyone raced twice the same day, surely someone who is among the very best in the world should be capable of spending his energy sort of evenly to make it through to the next round in these early stages...(for which the likes of Ntouskos of course don't need 100%, given their quality)

At least for his sake I hope it was a matter of being sick (only a little of course, so he'll be better within days :p), otherwise it would be a little worrying.

Yeah he probably wasn't feeling well, and maybe two races in one day was too much for him to handle if he was sick or has a small injury, obviously normally he would breeze through both races. He also DNS today in Final D...

As expected, good start for :ITA :ROU :GRE, and also for :CZE at the European U19 Championships.

We won our heats in JM1X, JM2X, JW2X and I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't win gold in those events. We also won our heat in JM2- and should win a medal tomorrow but I don't know yet what colour.

JW2- a little disappointing, but they were in a tough heat and still qualified for the final.

JM4- also a little disappointing but made the final. I'm not sure why 3 of our rowers were switched out at the last minute, maybe the original guys got Covid or something?

JW4X no words, 7 crews and they were the only ones who couldn't make the final. I'm not sure why they were chosen when I think we have better girls who stayed home, but also they are a young team, Mouratidou for example in the bow seat is only 15. Hopefully changes are made for the World Championships.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:55 AM, Makedonas said:

We won our heats in JM1X, JM2X, JW2X and I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't win gold in those events. We also won our heat in JM2- and should win a medal tomorrow but I don't know yet what colour.

Well we won gold in all three of those, so I guess I can't be surprised :p

Also a silver in JM2- :yes

Disappointing 4th in JW2- especially since both girls had experience and won medals before...

I am glad to see that a lot of our athletes who won medals here are tall also, especially as the lightweight category (which we usually do well in) is being removed from the Olympic programme, it's good to see that we still have some future hopes that can compete in the open weights in the future.

Also I think only 3 countries won gold medals here: :ROU :ITA :GRE, and honestly the Romanian national anthem will probably be stuck in my head for the next few days because we heard it so much today :lol: @zob79

49 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Also I think only 3 countries won gold medals here: :ROU :ITA :GRE

These medals dont' mean a thing to me as long as mighty netherlands, the alpha and omega of ancient and modern rowing, didn't participate. They're doing such a wonderful job at senior level lately that I wonder why they don't show up at junior level. I'm dyin' to catch a glimpse of the future clean champions of this sport.

If the lights light up exactly at the correct moment, he was definitely first, since his light went on first. Not sure if those lights are 100% accurate though?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

It's the Henley Regatta this weekend, a classic event which benefits enormously from vast subsidies from some of the Worlds' richest banks, investment houses etc who reward their staff by taking them to get drunk there.

There's usually some serious rowing involved also, with lots of Olympic boats or individual rowers competing in club colours.  Also schools, Universities, clubs, age group and masters action mixed in. 

Anyway, tons of YT coverage out there, but from the sporting POV, Saturday is Semis and Sunday is Finals day.

https://www.youtube.com/@HenleyRoyalRegatta/streams

Edited by Grassmarket

• 2 months later...

from Thursday, Sept. 12th through Sunday, Sept. 15th, :ITA Genua hosts the Coastal Rowing World Championships in the Olympic Format (Beach Sprint)

it's the first championship since the discipline has been elected to the Olympic stage

last week, the Endurance World Championships were also held in Genua

the champions:

CW1x: :IRL Monika Dukarska

CM1x: :NZL Finlay Hamill

CW2x: :AUT Katharina Lobnig, Magdalena Lobnig

CM2x: :UKR Igor Khmara, Stanislav Kovalov

CW4x+: :NED Anna Sarah Sophie Souwer, Kiri English-Hawke, Marieke Keijser, Karolien Florijn, Dieuwke Fetter

CM4x+: :UKR Yuriy Ivanov, Mykola Mazur, Ivan Futryk, Ivan Dovhodko, Anastasiia Kozyr

CMix2x: :ESP Patricio Rojas Aznar, Amanda Gil Camacho