website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

Would write a more detailed post soon but what an amazing performance by team India. Though, we have had bigger medal and Gold tallies in CWG before, this one is more spread across disciplines and without Shooting.  

That's it! Birch and Smith lose 21-5 21-8 and the Games are over with just the closing ceremony to go. And I think Team England did a good job! 57 golds, 66 silvers and 53 bronzes for 176 medals. Only :AUS did better due to their dominance of the pool.

Apart from cricket and netball, which had 1 event where we came 4th (disappointingly), at least one medal in every sport (and sub-category thereof in aquatics, gymnastics, and cycling).

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Canada had a pretty decent games for what was especially a team missing a lot of its top athletes. Canada could have easily won more golds and medals had the best team been here. I Guess in hindsight you can't really dwell on what ifs.

26 gold ties Delhi's total is almost double 2018. 92 medals is the most since Manchester 2002. These are strong numbers and hopefully more in 2026. However with no wrestling or judo on the program atm, it will be tough.

4 hours ago, Dolby said:

I wasn't talking about the male commentator but the female one. Male commentator is also good but Gill is A LEGEND. 

P.S. Its possible that we are hearing different set of commentators. 

She does a lot of work, badminton is on the TV practically every week it seems like.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, Olympian1010 said:

I can see people finding swimming a bit repetitive, but I don’t know what races you’ve been watching if you think there’s no action.

There are a few events where one person dominates, but it’s not like that’s a phenomenon limited to swimming.

I do agree that programs could be reworked to create more difference between events. 

Swimming is my favourite sport to watch along with Ice hockey Diving and Athletics.  I would watch it everyday lol 

I throughly enjoyed following these Games. The time zone difference and lack of an international feed (especially as there were some for the last two editions) was annoying, but overall I found this edition to be very enjoyable. Also, I think the venue branding was some of the best I’ve seen in a while.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, Canada4thewin said:

Swimming is my favourite sport to watch along with Ice hockey Diving and Athletics.  I would watch it everyday lol 

I follow swimming most of the year including meets where no Australians compete like European Championships starting this week. Other meets I'll be paying attention to this month are Junior Worlds, Junior Pan Pacs, Aussie Short Course Champs (selection meet for Short Course Worlds), Duel in the Pool. Another busy month.