website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

'Hard lockdown' incoming from tonight on, apparently, although I'm still annoyed by the use of the term lockdown (Wuhan had a lockdown). Partially due to a huge increase in new daily cases (going from 6k earlier in the month to nearly 10k a day now) and partially because of Germany's decision to close a whole lot of stuff tihs week, which would otherwise lead to half of Germany going to the Netherlands - history has shown that's not a good idea.

Apparently only supermarkets, bakeries, pharmacies and such will remain open, but that's all your standard 2020 stuff in Europe/the world anyway :p 

No way gyms remain open, so we'll have to improvise (maybe with some tyres or heavy bags) for a certain Brazilian Totallympian to keep up the strength training if coming here this week actually works out :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Denmark will be shutting down department stores from tomorrow, hairdressers, masseurs and comparable workplaces starting the 21st (where all school children will be on christmas vacation as well) and a shutdown of everything but grocery stores and pharmacies for the period dec. 25th to jan 3rd.

Personally my job finally sent me home starting this monday. I now have even more respect to the people who have been working from home for most of the period!

20 minutes ago, Agger said:

Denmark will be shutting down department stores from tomorrow, hairdressers, masseurs and comparable workplaces starting the 21st (where all school children will be on christmas vacation as well) and a shutdown of everything but grocery stores and pharmacies for the period dec. 25th to jan 3rd.

Personally my job finally sent me home starting this monday. I now have even more respect to the people who have been working from home for most of the period!

I have (at least since I got my job in June) and it has been glorious. I wish this part can stay forever, with going to the office being only optional once this has all blown over :cheer: 

No 30-40+ people running and yelling around the office (which I heard from colleagues who've been there longer), meaning I wouldn't be able to get any work done.

90% of the communication done in chats on Teams, meaning most of the important things being said can easily be found instead of having to dig through one's own memory.

I can have 5 conversations at the same time, since they're all on Teams it is super easy to keep track of them without having to juggle them in my mind, and I can take a bit of time to answer appropriately.

Instead of having to get ready for work 1,5 hour before the start time (travel time etc), I can get ready 5 minutes before the start time.

As soon as the workday is done, private time starts, instead of first having to travel all the way back home.

I can turn on the TV to some sports (without sound of course, to not get distracted) to keep an eye on.

During my break, I can lean back in my comfy chair and watch some TV or something instead of having lunch at work.

:woohoo: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Interesting to see that Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands are all taking tough measures at the same time. I wonder if it is just a coincidence?

Also I want to thank all British people on this board for testing the vaccine for the rest of us!

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Interesting to see that Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands are all taking tough measures at the same time. I wonder if it is just a coincidence?

Also I want to thank all British people on this board for testing the vaccine for the rest of us!

Not only them, also Czech Republic, Slovakia and Lithuania will do the same. Also Belarus again already closed their borders for foreigners.

5 hours ago, rybak said:

Not only them, also Czech Republic, Slovakia and Lithuania will do the same.

Not sure about the reasons there, but here some of the measures are a response to Germany's measures: if Germany closes a lot of their shops (which didn't happen that much since a whole shitload is apparently still open due to 'exceptions') and we don't, Germans will just cross the border and buy their stuff here. Much like we would do if it were the other way around and much like what happened in the south when Belgian bars closed...they all just came here to get drunk :p 

EU yesterday: "Every member state should wait with starting the vaccination program until also the slowest member states are ready to begin, that's fair."

EU today:

Europe minus the Netherlands, that is, since vaccinations here will most likely only begin halfway through January.....because the IT systems aren't ready yet :lol::facepalm: And the whole 'wait for the slowest state to be ready' has swiftly been thrown overboard (rightfully so, of course, don't get me wrong)

From 28th December we will go into "National quarantine". To the current restrictions added will be closure of shopping centers, hotels even for business travels, ski slopes and in night between 19:00 in December 31st to 6:00 in January 1st curfew will be apply. All current restrictions will be extended to January 17th, all to "protect people before national vaccinations process"

I don't want panicked but in Great Britain is detected new, way more rapidly spreading virus strain. Is probably less deadly but still dangerous.

It's highly probably that from this midnight (to unknown yet date) entire European Union will ban travels to GB. Some Middle East countries already did it.

I wonder if it's side effect of vaccine :mumble:

Just now, rybak said:

I don't want panicked but in Great Britain is detected new, way more rapidly virus strain. Is probably less deadly but still dangerous.

On which, according to experts, the vaccines most likely will work as well. Bit of a panic reaction to shut down everything from the UK in a matter of hours now (the Netherlands stopped all flights from the UK during the last night, out of the blue), but alright. Let's see how it goes.