website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2026

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I really hope so. Would be a shame to lose it.

If we do lose it, I'd prefer it to be in 2030 after a successful Canadian hosting. Just because I think there would be a lovely symmetry to that. 

2030 is not happening in Canada fwiw. Three different projects were all shuttered.

Maybe Edmonton arises to the occasion (the only city with a track stadium that meets requirements)

28 minutes ago, intoronto said:

2030 is not happening in Canada fwiw. Three different projects were all shuttered.

Maybe Edmonton arises to the occasion (the only city with a track stadium that meets requirements)

Oh I know that it isn't likely to happen. It's just a wish I'd ask a genie if one appeared. :p

But it would be lovely if that changed somehow, even if that meant some of the funding had to come from the UK to enable it.

It just would be a fitting conclusion to the Games for it to go out on a note like that, where it all started.

Edited by Epic Failure

Seems the Comm Games are not yet dead. Glasgow has agreed to host a downsized Comm Games in 2026 with 10 sports down from 17 in 2014.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/13329851/major-development-glasgow-2026-commonwealth-agreement-reached/

Edited by dullard

• 3 weeks later...

Proposed Glasgow Commonwealth games 2026 :

Instead of the 20 sports at Birmingham 2022, Glasgow 2026 event would involve just 10 different disciplines.

Only four venues would be used including Scotstoun Stadium and the swimming pool at Tollcross. 

Number of athletes would be limited who will utilise the existing accommodation.

a97d2c2688e7a712444ccb980c3d9e607b658b24960bacfde61faa800016164f.0.JPG

2 hours ago, tirtha22 said:

Proposed Glasgow Commonwealth games 2026 :

Instead of the 20 sports at Birmingham 2022, Glasgow 2026 event would involve just 10 different disciplines.

Only four venues would be used including Scotstoun Stadium and the swimming pool at Tollcross. 

Number of athletes would be limited who will utilise the existing accommodation.

a97d2c2688e7a712444ccb980c3d9e607b658b24960bacfde61faa800016164f.0.JPG

How they going to fit ten sports in four venues when the pool venue can only have two sports and the stadium can only really squeeze in two as well. 

21 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

How they going to fit ten sports in four venues when the pool venue can only have two sports and the stadium can only really squeeze in two as well. 

You could probably fit, Judo, Weightlifting, Boxing, Badminton, Table Tennis all in a convention centre.

5 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

You could probably fit, Judo, Weightlifting, Boxing, Badminton, Table Tennis all in a convention centre.

Are some of those really worth precious spots? When they are some sports that are not in the Olympics who need the exposure more like Netball. 

Edited by Orangehair43

5 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Are some of those really worth precious spots? When they are some sports that are not in the Olympics who need the exposure more like Netball. 

I agree, and these are just sports that could all be fit in one venue. You could probably fit netball in instead of a couple of sports, as the courts aren't that big.

18 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Third grade sports like swimming , cycling and diving should be completely scrapped from commonwealth games. Shooting and Kabaddi should be included.