website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

GB apparently with their miracle bikes again. Not sure if you can even call it a sport when the material is that important. It is the same in other "sports" (luge, bob, canoeing, cross-country skiing). Hard to get excited for "sports" like that. I guess the big countries will never allow everyone to have the same material.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

GB apparently with their miracle bikes again. Not sure if you can even call it a sport when the material is that important. It is the same in other "sports" (luge, bob, canoeing, cross-country skiing). Hard to get excited for "sports" like that. I guess the big countries will never allow everyone to have the same material.

The whole point of nations like GB, Germany, France and Netherlands introducing new equipment at this meet is precisely because UCI requires the same material to be available to all teams - smaller nations may not be able to afford the same kit, but it doesn't stop them from getting on to the podium.

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

All you have to do is go the shop and buy the same equipment.  Well, first you have to find that shop, of course.  :cool: There can’t be more than 150,000 to choose from.

3 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The whole point of nations like GB, Germany, France and Netherlands introducing new equipment at this meet is precisely because UCI requires the same material to be available to all teams - smaller nations may not be able to afford the same kit, but it doesn't stop them from getting on to the podium.

You can also become a billionaire when your parents are poor, doesn't mean that you have the same chances as someone born rich ...

I guess in that sense it is a perfect reflection of society. Personally i would like to watch COMPETITIONS where you can't buy your way to success, but i guess that will never happen. If smaller nations can't afford the same material, then everyone should only be allowed to use material that anyone can afford.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

You can also become a billionaire when your parents are poor, doesn't mean that you have the same chances as someone born rich ...

I guess in that sense it is a perfect reflection of society. Personally i would like to watch COMPETITIONS where you can't buy your way to success, but i guess that will never happen. If smaller nations can't afford the same material, then everyone should only be allowed to use material that anyone can afford.

Guess you’re a big speedway fan, then?

Good start for the Dutch men's teamsprint. But Australia has not used their best sprinter (Matthew Richardson) in the qualies. So I predict it will be close. And maybe the British men with their new bikes also play a significant role tomorrow. 

Another special result: Chloe Dygert is back on top in the women's individual pursuit. Curious about what she can do in the road race and especially in the time trial (she is the favorite for me).