website statistics

Athletics EAA Under 23 European Championships 2023

Totallympics

Larissa and the men's relays saved our ass in a pretty disappointing championship

even if the overall number of medals looks pretty, in fact, we had very few finalists and/or competitive athletes in many events and way too many people underperforming

moreover, many results that might look good are not so promising in perspective, which is the worst thing that can happen in an age class championship

Normally around 10 of the medalists go on to reach world-class (top 8 at world championships/olympics). I think the following athletes are the most likely (Hodgkinson, Kosonen, Alekna and Kokhan excluded, since they already did it) to do it:

Felfner

Vanninen

Dokter

M. Rooth

Skotheim

Zhoya

Iapichino

Tzengko

Kambundji

Attaoui/Ingvaldsen

Overall a very strong generation in my opinion (even if two of the largest countries, Poland and Germany, don't contribute much). I didn't even include athletes like

Ammirati, Anselmini, Azu, Afrifrah, Alesaari, Askag, Bouju, Flatnes, Hummel, Hussey, Healy, John, Jaeger, Meziane, O'Sullivan, Simonelli, Vicente or Van Daalen + we also shouldn't forget that some of the best athletes like Mahuchikh, Adeleke or Skrzyszowska didn't even compete. I don't remember the last time we had so many promising talents at U23 european championships.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

32 minutes ago, phelps said:

Larissa and the men's relays saved our ass in a pretty disappointing championship

even if the overall number of medals looks pretty, in fact, we had very few finalists and/or competitive athletes in many events and way too many people underperforming

moreover, many results that might look good are not so promising in perspective, which is the worst thing that can happen in an age class championship

I think Iapichino and Simonelli are your most promising talents (+ Furlani of course), not sure if any of your other talents could become world class.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

19 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, sir! I can hop, step and jump on the same exact tile! :yikes:

actually, I just can't go further than that single tile :facepalm:

And yet you don't appear to be involved in the Italian TJ progamme. A shocking waste of talent! 🤔😊

As some pointed the ultimate goal of these U23 is to show off a decent pool of future good athletes with a few world-class potentials. You get to see how some seemingly talented athletes fare in a competition which is theirs to lose. It's revealed that some are not winners, when others, less expected, declare themselves. 

So good championships overall for France. Zhoya has delivered, Meziane has delivered, both with a younger teammate not far off (Cinna and Anselmini). Bonnin did what she had to do at the good moment. She really is a fan favorite, which can be an asset coming into a professional career. Gore was not particularly expected but he put a strong showing, while far from the 17m, but I feel he could get them soon. Don't know what to think of race walking when it comes to future ambitions.

Quite disastrous 3000ST final but not that surprising. Underwhelming PV too, Emig is always the least awaited but always delivers. Ammirati seemed to be on a roll after a difficult start, but then he was not. Really underwhelming LJ. Pommery was afraid to jump after a dangerous slip on the board. Konaté ... well. The guy has board issues in every competition, and it looks like he's more into modeling than LJing.

A favorite of mine shone to. Maraval was an heptathlete two years ago in Tallinn, with no particular predisposition to burst onto the world stage. But she impressed during the 4x4 relay with really good splits. At the time I reckoned she'd better embrace the 400 if she wanted to have a career. She eventually did go for the 400H, with success, and split a 50.62 to win the relay, with the 400H final a few hours back in the legs.

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

And yet you don't appear to be involved in the Italian TJ progamme. A shocking waste of talent! 🤔😊

I'm involved into the "pasta eating" and the "how lazy a man can be" programs at the moment :evil: :lol:

I just can't be everywhere :dunno:

11 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think Iapichino and Simonelli are your most promising talents (+ Furlani of course), not sure if any of your other talents could become world class.

yeah, I'd add both race walkers (Cosi & Mihai, who already had a good senior debut in the past 12 months) and Rachele Mori, who totally blew this championship and had a lot of troubles this year, but she's still very young and despite all the problems, she's already gone up to 69 meters in the hammer throw in her first senior year (in any case, she's also the most disappointing among our athletes in this season, Jacobs and his fragile muscles apart...I expected her to already overtake that loser named Fantini and it didn't even get close to happen)

p.s. I'd also consider Ceccarelli still a promising youngster only (he's born in 2000, he could have been in Espoo), even if right now the expectations have gone so high with him

p.p.s. Iapichino finally has become a bit more than "promising", now she's an established contender in the women's LJ

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, phelps said:

I'm involved into the "pasta eating" and the "how lazy a man can be" programs at the moment :evil: :lol:

I just can't be everywhere :dunno:

We may meet in international competition in that case. I shall get some pasta eating practice in at lunch later on. Do you recommend a good wine with the pasta as part of your training programme? 😎🍷

Edited by Nickyc707

45 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

We may meet in international competition in that case. I shall get some pasta eating practice in at lunch later on. Do you recommend a good wine with the pasta as part of your training programme? 😎🍷

always!

what kind of wine, it depends on the sausage, of course

p.s. unless it's about artichoke, in that case wine (or beer) is not recommended, the only drink that goes with artichokes is a slightly gassed mineral water

4 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, I'd add both race walkers (Cosi & Mihai, who already had a good senior debut in the past 12 months) and Rachele Mori, who totally blew this championship and had a lot of troubles this year, but she's still very young and despite all the problems, she's already gone up to 69 meters in the hammer throw in her first senior year (in any case, she's also the most disappointing among our athletes in this season, Jacobs and his fragile muscles apart...I expected her to already overtake that loser named Fantini and it didn't even get close to happen)

p.s. I'd also consider Ceccarelli still a promising youngster only (he's born in 2000, he could have been in Espoo), even if right now the expectations have gone so high with him

p.p.s. Iapichino finally has become a bit more than "promising", now she's an established contender in the women's LJ

1) I don't care about race walking and think that this shouldn't be a sport, so i can't judge the perspective of your race walkers.

2) Mori hasn't really progressed recently, so it doesn't look good, 69 m isn't very impressive. Women's hammer throw doesn't have a lot of depth, so maybe she can still reach the top 8 some day.

3) Someone born in 2000 wouldn't have been allowed to participate. U23 -> 22 or younger -> born in 2001 or later

4) Women's long jump clearly regressed recently. It looks as if 6.90 or even 6.85 might be enough for a medal at world level currently. Personally i wouldn't call someone an established contender who has never done anything at world level.