website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

They should allow it but tell them no more quotas. 

No, they should not. Swimming has way enough medals, they do not need a single extra one. They can have the 50's if they take away others...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Orangehair43 said:

Surely it be cruel to axe events for LA after now in stuff where people can’t really train for another event that quick. 

Four years out is pretty normal.

I’m hoping there won’t be any real cut (except maybe for the mixed judo team event and the mixed medley relay, those can go at any time :P ) other than lightweight rowing.

We knew before the Olympics lightweight rowing was on it’s way out, and I feel like, generally, we find out when events get cut earlier than when we find out new events come in.

15 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That won't be fully finalized until early 2026, likely after the Winter Olympics

Was supposed to be later this year (the charter states the program needs to be final 3 years before the games)

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

No, they should not. Swimming has way enough medals, they do not need a single extra one. They can have the 50's if they take away others...

This might be a hot take but I actually think the 50s are the most boring swimming events.

18 hours ago, Jon said:

Seb Coe will go for it. Not sure he’ll get it though.

It will depend on if his hardline anti Russia and somewhat sceptical of China stance appeals to a lot of the voters or not. I’m not sure how much African support he will get due to his viewpoint on the DSD issue. 

Edited by Orangehair43

6 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Four years out is pretty normal.

I’m hoping there won’t be any real cut (except maybe for the mixed judo team event and the mixed medley relay, those can go at any time :P ) other than lightweight rowing.

We knew before the Olympics lightweight rowing was on it’s way out, and I feel like, generally, we find out when events get cut earlier than when we find out new events come in.

Lightweight rowing axe has been known for years and years. 

I mean it’s different when an event is cut but most or all who would have been in it can easily still compete elsewhere vs if that event goes it would be very difficult for them to move that quick to a different event. How many events have been axed after London/Rio/Tokyo and not announced until after those games - particularly those which would end those competitors chance. 

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

This might be a hot take but I actually think the 50s are the most boring swimming events.

Oh I agree. I mean, I do strangely enough like them at swimming world championships as a fun intermezzo, some massive testosterone bombing in the pool for a bit :d

Thing is, there they are not in anythings way: world championships in sport X can have all the events they want, it's not in the way of other sports after all. At the Olympics that would be different. Same as why I don't mind the biathlon pursuit being in the biathlon world championships, but it is horrendous that it's a separate Olympic event.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

They need to announce all the venues already and release a calendar ! I need to plan out the day! 

That's less important, but athletes do need to know what their next 4-year cycle is going to look like. For some sports and countries it's already barely two years to go until qualifying really gets going.