website statistics

Slalom Canoeing at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

It does feel weird that in "traditional" Olympic sports like canoeing, NOCs are limited to 1 athlete per event and yet in the newer Olympic sports, countries are allowed multiple entries. Skateboarding for example has starting line-up of 22, so has a field size similar to that of the canoe events, and yet in skateboarding, NOCs can enter 3 athletes. Likewise sport climbing, beach volleyball, and breaking all have limited field sizes but allow multiple entries from the same country.

I get the desire to have the best in the sport taking part in the Olympics, but it should apply equally across all sports.   

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

It does feel weird that in "traditional" Olympic sports like canoeing, NOCs are limited to 1 athlete per event and yet in the newer Olympic sports, countries are allowed multiple entries. Skateboarding for example has starting line-up of 22, so has a field size similar to that of the canoe events, and yet in skateboarding, NOCs can enter 3 athletes. Likewise sport climbing, beach volleyball, and breaking all have limited field sizes but allow multiple entries from the same country.

I get the desire to have the best in the sport taking part in the Olympics, but it should apply equally across all sports.   

The older sports come from a time when the sporting world wanted to increase diversity in events. It's difficult to create a catch-all standard, but to balance diversity and prevent low-quality entrants I think sport federations can consider a second entrant from the same nation at a field size greater than 20.

The reason skateboarding has three entrants per event is because it has horrible depth. It's pretty much Brazil/Japan/United States and a sprinkle of a few nations. Breaking I am surprised has 2 athletes per nation the sport has a surprisingly amount of depth, maybe they underestimated the number of nations sending athletes.

3 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Are these quotas given to athletes or NOC in canoeing? 
If they are given to NOCs then every athlete will still have a chance to represent his/her sport in Olympics. That only seems fair. 

NOCs

Basically all "stronger" nations are already competing their internal qualification (despite not having quotas secured)

Also remember an athlete can win only 1 quota so if a double-starter finish at the worlds in K1 and C1 in qulaifiying position, the NOC will have to respond which event they pick and the quota in the other event will then go down to the next ranked country etc...

NOC ranking at the European Games. I expect most of these to qualify at the World Champs so the European games quota might go quite far down the list

Men's K1 (Top 15 at the worlds)

1  Czech Republic
2  Switzerland
3  Great Britain
4  Austria
5  Italy
6  Slovakia
7  Spain
8  France
9  Slovenia
10  Germany
11  Poland
12  Sweden
13  Belgium
14  Ireland
15  Latvia
16  Kosovo

Men's C1 (top 12 at WC)

1  Great Britain
2  Spain
3  Czechia
4  Germany
5  Slovenia
6  France
7  Poland
8  Slovakia
9  Italy
10  Croatia
11  Ireland
12 Netherlands
13 Portugal

Women's C1 (Top 12)

1  Germany
2  Poland
3  Great Britain
4  Czechia
5  Slovakia
6  Slovenia
7  Italy
8  France
9  Andorra
10  Spain
11  Ukraine
12  Switzerland
13  Netherlands
14  Austria
15  Ireland
16  Croatia

Women's k1 (Top 15)

1  Germany
2  Poland
3  Czech Republic
4  Slovenia
5  Austria
6  Great Britain
7  France
8  Andorra
9  Spain
10  Italy
11  Switzerland
12  Slovakia
13  Netherlands
14  Ukraine
15  Ireland
16 Croatia

Only looking at the men's but a repeat of the results at the 2022 World Championships would see the quota go to Sweden (12th) for K1 and Croatia (10th) for C1

Ireland is below them in the Euro ranks but finished ahead in the world ranks

based on 2022 WC and 2023 EG

K1 quotas for men; Czech, Switzerland, GB, Austria, Italy, China, Japan, Australia, Slovakia, Spain, France, Slovenia, Germany, Poland, Ireland, Sweden (EG)

C1 quotas for me; GB, Spain, Czechia, Germany, Slovenia, France, Poland, Slovakia, Italy, Switzerland, USA, Ireland, Croatia (EG)