website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2023

Totallympics

On 12/14/2022 at 5:28 AM, phelps said:

just another monster-contract for a MLB player...

the San Francisco Giants landed Carlos Correa with a brand new 13-year/350 million US $ deal :yikes:

and not mentioned before, the crazy spending NY Mets landed also the Japanes pitching star Kodai Senga.

5-year/75 million US $ for the player, with an opt-out clause for the team after 3 years (imho, this is a real steal...Senga should have been a much higher value).

another Japanese star coming to play in North America is outfielder Masataka Yoshida, who got a 5-year/90 million US $ contract by the Boston Red Sox.

Boston also signed veteran closer Kenley Jansen (2-year/32 million US $ deal for him).

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

This was after the Giants had medical concerns about him.

3 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

This was after the Giants had medical concerns about him.

yeah, I saw the updates on this situation yesterday...:facepalm:

as I said to a friend, now the Mets have made a big switch in my personal list...from a half-nice team to just behind the Empire of Evil among the teams I like to...

depositphotos_2823371-stock-photo-hypnot

:lol: :facepalm: :hairpull:

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

The saga continues. There's a "hiccup" in the Mets contract talks and he's talking to another team :lol: What da hell is Correa's mysterious injury then?

https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/carlos-correa-in-contact-with-another-team-after-mets-hiccup/?utm

I hope isn't anything heart-related...:mumble:

normally, in the USA you can always sign to go on playing at your own risk if there's just a minimal disfunction (opposed to some other places, especially Italy, where doctors can stop your career by authority if your values are not reflecting perfect health).

if he wants to play despite some risk factors, it might well be a problem of the teams' insurance not willing to cover that risk :mumble:

for sure, it can't be just the well known back troubles that limited his overall performance in the last couple of season, there must be something more "risky" for the club other than the good Carlos.

but we will never know...

On 1/10/2023 at 10:16 PM, Topicmaster1010 said:

Carlos Correa has signed with the twins. :lol: Pending physical of course

this time it looks OK...

on the other hand, if he was good enough to be with them all of last season, it would be weird (to say the least) that this year he's not going to fill their requirements.

by the way, the news of the day is that the Dodgers signed IF Miguel Rojas in a trade with the Miami Marlins (getting IF Jacob Amaya in exchange).

that's the move we all expected! now the World Series are ours! nobody will stop us, not even mr. Roberts, firmly glued to the bench. :pope: :lol: :roflmao: :facepalm::hairpull:

Edited by phelps

• 1 month later...

The MLB's new pitch clock already has claimed its first victim: Manny Machado. He became the first player to be hit with an automatic strike call because he was not ready to bat in the designated 15 seconds.

Edited by owenp_23

And now, the worst-case scenario. Bottom of the 9th, tie game, 3-2 count, bases loaded, 2 out. Braves are batting and the pitch clock runs almost to zero. Obviously, pitcher and batter taking their time because this is the pitch to ulimately decide the game. Oh wait, the game ends with an automatic strike because the Atlanta hitter wasn't ready to hit in time. The game ended because they don't play extra innings in Spring.

I'm sorry, it was a good idea in theory, but now I absolutely hate it.

2 hours ago, owenp_23 said:

And now, the worst-case scenario. Bottom of the 9th, tie game, 3-2 count, bases loaded, 2 out. Braves are batting and the pitch clock runs almost to zero. Obviously, pitcher and batter taking their time because this is the pitch to ulimately decide the game. Oh wait, the game ends with an automatic strike because the Atlanta hitter wasn't ready to hit in time. The game ended because they don't play extra innings in Spring.

always been against that shit!

wanna have shorter games? just get rid of commercial intervals between innings and don't allow any further warmup throw on pitching changes (they already have thrown 100 in the bullpen, there's no need for 7/8 more before actually starting the action)...:pope:

p.s. if they think they can get the tiktok generation back to the good, old National pastime with 2.5-hr games instead of 3.5, they have really lost their minds (like the IOC with the gender equality and the youth&urban obsession) :whistle:

4 hours ago, owenp_23 said:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

always been against that shit!

wanna have shorter games? just get rid of commercial intervals between innings and don't allow any further warmup throw on pitching changes (they already have thrown 100 in the bullpen, there's no need for 7/8 more before actually starting the action)...:pope:

p.s. if they think they can get the tiktok generation back to the good, old National pastime with 2.5-hr games instead of 3.5, they have really lost their minds (like the IOC with the gender equality and the youth&urban obsession) :whistle:

Sorry boys, I completely disagree.

I was initially against the idea but after hearing the rules and seeing it for the first time, I'm a big fan of it. I have no issues with 3+hour games when there is a lot of action but when an hour of that time is taken up by batters constantly walking out of the box and pitchers grabbing at their crotch and licking their fingers between pitches, then there's a problem. We don't need to see pitchers take 5 minutes to throw a pitch  The MLB has already tried to implement pace of play rules which worked initially but doesn't now. This, this is the result we get. It was proved to be very effective in the minor leagues and game times were shortened by an hour with a shortened percentage of dead time. There was also a period of adjustment but there were slowly less violations over time. Same thing will happen in the MLB. This is what's going to help attract more people to watch.

And now I presume I'll be getting a ban from this forum for having a more urban opinion :lol: