website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2023

Totallympics

As a baseball player currently who pitches and hits, I would be hugely opposed to a pitch clock. On the mound, I need time to breathe and at the plate, time to analyze. 15 or 20 seconds just wonʻt give us good baseball is what Iʻm thinking.

1 hour ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

This is what's going to help attract more people to watch.

I have a lot friends who would never watch a baseball game. Not the full game, but just three innings would bore the crap out of them. Pitch clock or not, I believe itʻs safe to say that it wonʻt matter how fast the games are, you arenʻt going to attract many new viewers for a long time just because of bigger bases and a pitch clock.

Maybe adding a home-run contest after the 12th inning would bring more excitement and fans to tune in.

17 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Sorry boys, I completely disagree.

I was initially against the idea but after hearing the rules and seeing it for the first time, I'm a big fan of it. I have no issues with 3+hour games when there is a lot of action but when an hour of that time is taken up by batters constantly walking out of the box and pitchers grabbing at their crotch and licking their fingers between pitches, then there's a problem. We don't need to see pitchers take 5 minutes to throw a pitch  The MLB has already tried to implement pace of play rules which worked initially but doesn't now. This, this is the result we get. It was proved to be very effective in the minor leagues and game times were shortened by an hour with a shortened percentage of dead time. There was also a period of adjustment but there were slowly less violations over time. Same thing will happen in the MLB. This is what's going to help attract more people to watch.

And now I presume I'll be getting a ban from this forum for having a more urban opinion :lol:

even if I agree with you about those batters and pitchers excessively slowing down the pace of the game, and after having watched a couple of games in these last few days, I don't think the pitch clock is the right way to fix the problem.

surely, not in these terms (8 secs for the batters to be ready, 15 for the pitchers to start their delivery).

in any case, no way they should use it from the 9th inning on (they might try it for the first 8 innings and maybe with a more reasonable 12/20 secs balance).

as it is right now, it makes baseball another sport with too many chances of anti-climatic ending that would kill the passion also of the younger people they're supposed to get interested with this new rule.

p.s. to me, those 3 mins between innings and pitching changes are still the main annoying factor when watching live (that's why I usually prefer to watch baseball games -but it's the same with american football and basketball- as a tape delay...sometimes time difference is an helper)...

• 5 weeks later...