website statistics

Road Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Benolympique said:

How much competition is left before the end of the Olympic ranking?

Looking at the UCI calendar, I think the main multi-stage events to take place within the qualifying period are:

UCI World Tour

23 Aug: Renewi Tour (Formerly known as Tour of Benelux) 

26 Aug: Vuelta Espana

12 Oct: Tour of Guangxi

ProSeries

15 Aug: Tour of Denmark

15 Aug: Vuelta a Burgos

17 Aug: Arctic Race of Norway

23 Aug: Deutschland Tour

3 Sep: Tour of Britain

14 Sep: Tour of Taihu Lake

20 Sep: Tour of Luxembourg

20 Sep: Tour de Langkawi

5 Oct: Tour of Hainan

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Looking at the UCI calendar, I think the main multi-stage events to take place within the qualifying period are:

UCI World Tour

23 Aug: Renewi Tour (Formerly known as Tour of Benelux) 

26 Aug: Vuelta Espana

12 Oct: Tour of Guangxi

ProSeries

15 Aug: Tour of Denmark

15 Aug: Vuelta a Burgos

17 Aug: Arctic Race of Norway

23 Aug: Deutschland Tour

3 Sep: Tour of Britain

14 Sep: Tour of Taihu Lake

20 Sep: Tour of Luxembourg

20 Sep: Tour de Langkawi

5 Oct: Tour of Hainan

you are sure that the netherlands and italy will be behind france

39 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I haven't run the full projection for Q3 yet, but at the moment, I think Belgium and Denmark are pretty much guaranteed a full team of 4. France and Great Britain should also be OK for full team. The last full team probably going to come down to a fight between Spain and Slovenia.  

Oh come on, now only 4 riders is going to be the maximum per team? :lol: 

I know it's not surprising that they're actively trying to make the Olympics worse in most sports, but come on :p 

Luckily it's not a flat course, then the Netherlands would have 4-5 legitimate medal contenders nowadays.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

you are sure that the netherlands and italy will be behind france

Not 100% sure by any stretch - as I said, I've not had time to run the numbers for the rest of the qualifying window - but France currently have a 3000 point advantage over both Italy and Netherlands and that's not going to be easy to overcome. 

Van Der Poel winning today will pull in 900 points for Netherlands but their riders are defending a fair chunk of points in the last quarter of the qualifying window.

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I know it's not surprising that they're actively trying to make the Olympics worse in most sports, but come on :p 

Luckily it's not a flat course, then the Netherlands would have 4-5 legitimate medal contenders nowadays.

Afraid so - they needed to balance out the men and women's quotas so the number of men's places drop from 130 to 90 whilst the women will increase from 67 to 90. Additionally, only 5 teams rather than 6 will have the maximum number of riders. 

9 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Why aren't these people in jail yet? Happened at Crucible, Wimbledon, F1.. This is not a normal protest, it's deliberate attack on a sporting event (and cultural ones too). Throw them for 2 years in jail, then will see if they wont prefer protesting in front of town hall like everyone else.

Obviously they use the wrong tactics, but their goal is obviously right. Impossible to change the system without breaking the rules that were made up to make sure that noone can change the system. There is a long history of people being thrown in jail who were later seen as heroes.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Not 100% sure by any stretch - as I said, I've not had time to run the numbers for the rest of the qualifying window - but France currently have a 3000 point advantage over both Italy and Netherlands and that's not going to be easy to overcome. 

Van Der Poel winning today will pull in 900 points for Netherlands but their riders are defending a fair chunk of points in the last quarter of the qualifying window.

Also hard to get these points when all you have is sprinters and classics riders. 

But yeah, the olympics road race has just too little quota.

13 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Afraid so - they needed to balance out the men and women's quotas so the number of men's places drop from 130 to 90 whilst the women will increase from 67 to 90. Additionally, only 5 teams rather than 6 will have the maximum number of riders. 

A 90 men Olympic road race is truly ridiculous. A 90 women Olympic road race is somewhat unnecessary as well, but slightly less ridiculous (although the other way around), for now 60 would have been....alright. Not great, but alright. But a men's championships road race with under 120 riders or so is just nonsense.

Oh well, in men's road cycling world titles are often remembered more than Olympic titles anyway (especially in the road race) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I think you just have to tell yourself that the Olympic Road Race is a unique proposition - it's not just the World Champs+ or an extra classic - rather it's a rather back to basics design - very small teams, if teams at all, no radios - the 'team' element that is quietly ubiquitous in cycling is deliberately undercut. It's a feature, not a flaw - or both a flaw and a feature if you are a semi-traditionalist.

If you are a dutch, or belgian, I dare say that pisses you off. If you are an Austrian part time pro, or an ecuadorian, it's a positive boon. At the moment, to be fair there are about half a dozen 'once in a generation superstars all riding at once, an astonishing thing (think of the Big 4 in tennis), and maybe another half a dozen super dangerous riders, covering about 8-10 nations; it's kinda cool, once in 4 years, to see them unmoored from their team support, and just riding on fumes and instinct - it lets clever riders like Carapaz steal a march!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

A 90 men Olympic road race is truly ridiculous. A 90 women Olympic road race is somewhat unnecessary as well, but slightly less ridiculous (although the other way around), for now 60 would have been....alright. Not great, but alright. But a men's championships road race with under 120 riders or so is just nonsense.

Oh well, in men's road cycling world titles are often remembered more than Olympic titles anyway (especially in the road race) :p 

The men's pros have only ridden since '92, that's why you don't remember them - as soon as you rode a pro race, you were barred (see Kelly, Séan)