website statistics

Surfing ISA World Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Who would everyone say is the favourite for each quota, particularly the European ones? Not too sure on the Men's (hoping it's :GBR Luke Dillon) but on the Women's it surely has to be :ISR Noa Leilor.  

I don't watch surfing as frequently as some of you, but I catch some action from time to time. Here's what I think.

Europe (Women)- Noa Leilor :ISR Vahine Fierro :FRA Pauline Ado :FRA Noah Klapp :GER Rachel Presti :GER Francesca Veselko :POR Yolanda Sequiera :POR 

Europe (Men)- Maxime Huscenot :FRA Joan Duru :FRA Kauli Vaast :FRA Leonardo Fioravanti :ITA Frederico Morais :POR Aritz Aranburu :ESP 

Oceania (Women) - Paige Hareb :NZL 

Oceania (Men) - Billy Stairmand :NZL 

Asia (Women) - Amuro Tsuzuki :JPN Mahina Maeda :JPN 

Asia (Men) - Rio Waida :INA Kanoa Igarashi :JPN 

Africa (Women) - Sarah Baum :RSA 

Africa (Men) - Ramzi Boukhiam :MAR Jordy Smith :RSA Matthew McGillivray :RSA 

This is taking into account that Australia qualifies two athletes (per gender) for the 2024 Olympics through WSL. Women are guaranteed, while men are highly likely.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I don't watch surfing as frequently as some of you, but I catch some action from time to time. Here's what I think.

Europe (Women)- Noa Leilor :ISR Vahine Fierro :FRA Pauline Ado :FRA Noah Klapp :GER Rachel Presti :GER Francesca Veselko :POR Yolanda Sequiera :POR 

Europe (Men)- Maxime Huscenot :FRA Joan Duru :FRA Kauli Vaast :FRA Leonardo Fioravanti :ITA Frederico Morais :POR Aritz Aranburu :ESP 

Oceania (Women) - Paige Hareb :NZL 

Oceania (Men) - Billy Stairmand :NZL 

Asia (Women) - Amuro Tsuzuki :JPN Mahina Maeda :JPN 

Asia (Men) - Rio Waida :INA Kanoa Igarashi :JPN 

Africa (Women) - Sarah Baum :RSA 

Africa (Men) - Ramzi Boukhiam :MAR Jordy Smith :RSA Matthew McGillivray :RSA 

This is taking into account that Australia qualifies two athletes (per gender) for the 2024 Olympics through WSL. Women are guaranteed, while men are highly likely.

Extremely bored so I'm gonna try to predict who will win the quotas, I'd say Fierro :FRA Huscenot :FRA Hareb :NZL Stairmand :NZL Tsuzuki :JPN Waida :INA Baum :RSA Boukhiam :MAR

Let's see how off my predictions are in a week :p

Edited by Josh

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

Extremely bored so I'm gonna try to predict who will win the quotas, I'd say Fierro :FRA Fioravanti :ITA Hareb :NZL Stairmand :NZL Tsuzuki :JPN Waida :INA Baum :RSA McGillivray :RSA 

Let's see how off my predictions are in a week :p

I believe Fioravanti has qualified via world rankings, as has McGillivray. With that said here are my predictions:

Europe: Men - Want :GBR Dillon but think it'll be  :FRA Huscenot Women - :ISR Noa Leilor

Oceania: The same 2 as you

Africa: Men - :MAR Boukhiam Women - :RSA Baum

Asia: Same 2 as you  

Other names to watch out for (Thanks @Laraja) include Aboubakr Bouaouda :MAR, Cherif Fall :SEN, Guilherme Fonseca :POR, Guilherme Ribeiro :POR, Luke Dillon :GBR, Nadia Erostarbe :ESP, Ariane Torres :ESP, Gonzalo Gutierrez :ESP, Dylan Groen :GER,  Leon Glatzer :ITA, Kaspar Hamminga :NED, Lucy Campbell :GBR, Anat Leilor :ISR, Emily Gussoni :ITA, Giada Legati :ITA, Mirna Boelsma :NED, Camilla Kemp :GER, Zoe Steyn :RSA, Kailani Johnson :INA, Taina Izquierdo :INA, Shino Matsuda :JPN 

Edited by Josh

Looking at the previous results, in order to secure a quota on the men's side, you're realistically going to need to get through to round 5 or 6 of the main draw and then hope to last 1-2 rounds of the repechage. 

For the record, in 2019 the winner of both the African and European quotas made it to Round 6 of the main draw and progressed through 2 repechage rounds. For Asia, they exited the main draw in round 5 before also surviving 2 rounds of repechage whilst Oceania lost in round 3 of main draw but survived 6 rounds of repechage.

In 2022 Luke Dillon got through to round 3 before heading to the repechage rounds. His draw this time around is equally challenging - he's got a couple of decent Portuguese athletes alongside a couple of Israelis, Japanese and Kiwis - including Billy Stairmand who has been picked out above as the preferred pick for the Oceania quota. 

Long story short can see Dillon getting through to round 3 again, but struggling to see the path that gets him to a quota unfortunately. 

First day of the event, and no big surprises. Apart of Mirna Boelsma :NED and Zoe Steyn :RSA who didn't advance and are already in the repechage rounds.

Great news for Sarah Baum :RSA who is by far the favorite for women's african quota.

Highlight also to :POL surfer, who won his heat! 

5 hours ago, Laraja said:

First day of the event, and no big surprises. Apart of Mirna Boelsma :NED and Zoe Steyn :RSA who didn't advance and are already in the repechage rounds.

Great news for Sarah Baum :RSA who is by far the favorite for women's african quota.

Highlight also to :POL surfer, who won his heat! 

Laraja, can you tell me how this works? 2 athletes goes to final in each round?

4 hours ago, Adriano said:

Laraja, can you tell me how this works? 2 athletes goes to final in each round?

There are 7 round+final, the best 2 athletes advance to the next round. The losers are "relegated" to the repechage, with the same rules (best 2 to next round).

The final will be with the 2 winners of round 7 + 2 winner of last repechage round

3 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

There are 7 round+final, the best 2 athletes advance to the next round. The losers are "relegated" to the repechage, with the same rules (best 2 to next round).

The final will be with the 2 winners of round 7 + 2 winner of last repechage round

@Adriano That's it! :thumbup:

Basically, there are two paths: Main Round and Repechage Round. All the surfers start in the Main Round, and they need to keep winning on it. That means, finishing on 1st or 2nd places until the Final Round.

If they "lose", finishing on 3rd or 4th places, they will be relegated to Repechage Rounds, were they have to surfer twice more than in the Main Round. There, they can't lose their heats anymore, otherwise they will be eliminated.

It's like a double elimination, two losts and goodbye!

End of the Main Round 1 for women, and we had surfers from :THA and :CHN advancing on first place. It's a huge surprise. Let's see how far they can go.

Btw, they are in the same heat at Main Round 2 

PS: Yesterday, I didn't realize but a very good :CHI surfer didn't advance as well. It could be a big issue for him, thinking on the Panamerican qualification.