website statistics

Swimming 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, dullard said:

McIntosh just got bumped from favourite status in the 200 fly after Regan Smith just went a 2.03.87 at a prep meet.

By the way, for anyone reading, at this very same meet (Sun Devil Swim Open) she also clocked some exceptional times in other events as well. 57.83 W 100BK, 57.05 100FL, 2:08.48 W 200IM. An incredible athlete, we could potentially be seeing her win more individual gold medals than McIntosh come Worlds. 

She hasn't broken WRs like McIntosh or Mckeown but Regan Smith iis the most on fire female swimmer this season. Clearly leaving Stanford to train with Bowman has paid off.

The big if is her mental level in the big meets. 2019 was amazing, but had many dissapointments in the 2021 and 2022 big meets. We'll see this year. I think having so many events will lift the pressure as she won't have the focus on the back ones only.

1 hour ago, NMQ said:

She hasn't broken WRs like McIntosh or Mckeown but Regan Smith iis the most on fire female swimmer this season. Clearly leaving Stanford to train with Bowman has paid off.

The big if is her mental level in the big meets. 2019 was amazing, but had many dissapointments in the 2021 and 2022 big meets. We'll see this year. I think having so many events will lift the pressure as she won't have the focus on the back ones only.

Yes, the mental game is still the big question mark. Even her performance in the 100 back final at last year's Worlds was a bit iffy but Masse wasn't in good enough form to take advantage. 

Yet another NR for Tes Schouten on the first day of the :NED National Championships in Amersfoort!

200m breaststroke in 2.21:71, her third PB and NR this year. This time would have been a medal in both Rio and Tokyo. Really excited to see what she can bring in Fukuoka next month.

17 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

First day of the French National Championships:

Leon Marchand with a 2:06.59 200m breast time!!!

Extremely impressive time, I absolutely didn’t think that he would be this fast. Now we know that he can medal/win gold in at least 4 different individual events (200 IM/breast/fly + 400 IM). The question is whether he will also become a medal contender in the 100 fly/200 free. I don’t really see it (given how competitive those two events are), but after tonight I probably shouldn’t doubt him. Personally I think that he might have a better shot in the 100 breast/200 back. It will be interesting to see which events he will swim at the Olympics. 200 breast and 200 fly are in the same session, so he will probably drop one of them. The schedule probably also won’t allow him to swim the 100 breast or 200 back, so he might go for the 200 IM, the 400 IM, the 100 fly (which doesn’t collide with any of his other events) and the 200 breast or the 200 fly. It might sound crazy, but maybe he would be better off dropping the 200 fly. I think he has a better chance for gold in the 200 breast than in the 200 fly.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.