website statistics

If LA 1984 Olympics were not boycotted, what would have been the results?

rafalgorka

In this brand new but rather vintage thread I'd like to discuss how the results in certain events would look like if every NOC took part in 1984 olympics.

In my olympics data archive I have a lot info on that games.

Could be interesting.

This vintage topic may be very current when it comes to Paris. No RUS? No BLR? If so, any NOC will boycott the whole thing? And then another LA boycott??? Welcome to the Hard Times.

Edited by Sindo

E.g. Men's 100m

In athletics it's relatively easy, we can compare the results of 1984 olympics and 1984 Friendship Games.

Although you must remember than some Polish athletes keep telling that once they knew they won't participate in real olympics in 1984, they didn't put too much effort into the 1984 Friendships.

Edited by rafalgorka

ATHLETICS - Men's 100m

1. Carl Lewis USA 9.99 LA1

2. Osvaldo Lara CUB 10.17 F1

3. Attila Kovacs HUN 10.18 F2

4. Sam Graddy USA 10.19 LA2

5. Leandro Penalver CUB 10.21 F3

6. Ben Johnson CAN 10.22 LA3

7. Ron Brown USA 10.26 LA4

8. Mike McFarlane GBR 10.27 LA5

tbc... (probably)...

Edited by rafalgorka

6 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

This will be quite interesting. As you said, anything with a measurement/score can be compared. Head-to-head competitions like boxing will be a bit more difficult.

remembering very well how it went in L.A. 38 years ago, in Boxing I can tell you that the :USA would still get all of their gold medals, as the judges were the perfect forecomers of those who did what they did in Seoul 4 years later :p :facepalm:

however, at the 1982 world champs in Munich (the last held before the 1984 Games), :CUB won 5 of the 12 gold medals, with :USA and :URS getting 3 each and :BUL winning 1 gold medal.

among the boycotting Nations, :GDR won 4 (but no gold), :POL 2 and :PRK 1 (a silver medal)...and that's it.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

remembering very well how it went in L.A. 38 years ago, in Boxing I can tell you that the :USA would still get all of their gold medals, as the judges were the perfect forecomers of those who did what they did in Seoul 4 years later :p :facepalm:

however, at the 1982 world champs in Munich (the last held before the 1984 Games), :CUB won 5 of the 12 gold medals, with :USA and :URS getting 3 each and :BUL winning 1 gold medal.

among the boycotting Nations, :GDR won 4 (but no gold), :POL 2 and :PRK 1 (a silver medal)...and that's it.

I think 4 of the Americans deserved golds in 1984 and 5 didn't. :ITA being the country that lost out badly because of the home town judging.

I think the :CUB and :URS fighters would have been so good that the judges could not possibly vote against them. (I hope)