website statistics

Newcomers per Sport at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

2016NewcomersperSport.png

Another idea for a list which I thought could be interesting, which got in my mind thanks to a post in the table tennis thread.

Apparently, Fiji will be represented in table tennis for the first time in Olympic history, which got me thinking, which other nations will have these kind of "firsts" in the different sports?

- Kosovo doesn't count, as it'll be their first Olympics (same thing for South Sudan?)

Nation List

• :ALG Algeria - Sailing
  • :ANG Angola - Rowing
  • :ARU Aruba - Taekwondo
  • :AZE Azerbaijan - Canoeing (Slalom)
  • :BEN Benin - Fencing
  • :BRA Brazil - Badminton, Field hockey, Gymnastics (Trampoline)
  • :CMR Cameroon - Volleyball
  • :CPV Cape Verde - Taekwondo
  • :TPE Chinese Taipei - Equestrian
  • :COLColombia - Synchronized swimming
  • :CYP Cyprus - Gymnastics (Artistic)
  • :DOM Dominican Republic - Cycling (Road), Equestrian, Fencing
  • :COD DR Congo - Taekwondo
  • :EGY Egypt - Beach volleyball
  • :FIJ Fiji - Football, Table tennis
  • :IRL Ireland - Field hockey
  • :JAM Jamaica - Gymnastics (Artistic)
  • :MRI Mauritius - Cycling (Mountain bike)
  • :MGL Mongolia - Taekwondo
  • :MOZ Mozambique - Canoeing (Sprint)
  • :NED Netherlands - Handball
  • :NZL New Zealand - Gymnastics (Trampoline)
  • :PLE Palestine - Equestrian
  • :PER Peru - Gymnastics (Artistic)
  • :PHI Philippines - Table tennis
  • :PUR Puerto Rico - Table tennis
  • :QAT Qatar - Equestrian, Handball
  • :SEN Senegal - Canoeing (Slalom)
  • :TGA Tonga - Taekwondo
  • :TTO Trinidad and Tobago - Rowing, Gymnastics (Artistic)
  • :ZIM Zimbabwe - Equestrian, Football

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Another idea for a list which I thought could be interesting, which got in my mind thanks to a post in the table tennis thread.

Apparently, Fiji will be represented in table tennis for the first time in Olympic history, which got me thinking, which other nations will have these kind of "firsts" in the different sports?

- Kosovo doesn't count, as it'll be their first Olympics (same thing for South Sudan?)

and refugee team..:d

Just now, hckosice said:

and refugee team..:d

True, although I wouldn't say that's a nation :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

There are plenty of nations that will be making their debut in certain sports. Dominican Republic, Palestine, Qatar, Chinese Taipei and Zimbabwe qualified for the first time ever in equestrian, for example.

New sports (golf, rugby) and new nations (Kosovo and South Sudan) shouldn't count here.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, Gianlu33 said:

Rugby and Golf doesn't count right? 

I'm doubting about rugby, because it has been at 4 Olympics, but not in the rugby sevens format...

Golf was in the 1900 and 1904 Olympics so technically every country there would be new, but maybe it'd be more interesting if we don't look at rugby and golf indeed.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

True, although I wouldn't say that's a nation :p 

Once again a great idea man. interesting thread :yes

for SVK it´s not official, but the things looks fine (at least I hope) for our first ever entry in beach volleyball. It´s true that for now our pair "Domi/Nata" are in fact under the qualifying ranking line, but I´m confident here

As for The Netherlands, we have 1 new sport thanks to our handball ladies :cheer: